Long Term Users of Ayurvedic Products

nakialovesshoes

Back during the CandyC days, people seemed really hyped over Ayurvedic remedies for hair. I know they're still around but I wanted to hear from ladies that have been incorporating the powders, oils, etc into their routines for at least a year consistently.

What are the best products to use - for what/why?

What positive/negative changes have you noticed?

What is your routine?

Please share any recipes that you may have.

TIA...

Krystle~Hime

I am here !
It's been one year and 2 months that I have the same routine. Every 2 weeks I do an indian mask with indian powders.
I especially use cassia, amla, maka, and brahmi.
only this, besides moisture and seal every other day.

i use to have fine hair with light/medium density. indian powders totally increase my hair density.
I... can't believe it myself.
Also even if my hair hasn't become "coarser" they become stronger : they were fine and brittle. Long term and consistent use of indian herbs make them fine and strong.

I'm not joking about density.
before starting an indian routine.

last month

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

it has become an habitude. a part of me. Rinsing isn't a issue. I do one rinse, then I saturate hair with moisturizing condish and massage every section one by one. it brings slip for helping grains to wash out. and it restores moisture balance, because I add protein in my indian mask.
Also, marshmallow root helps a lot :lick:

Yup:yep:

Last edited:

hair4romheaven

I wonder if yo uget the same thickening effect doing the rinses instead of the paste. I just don't want to have to rinse the grit from my hair.

Krystle~Hime

I wonder if yo uget the same thickening effect doing the rinses instead of the paste. I just don't want to have to rinse the grit from my hair.

I'm wondering too. I think it will be only effective if they are strong infused and if it's done very often like 2-3times a week. but.. we won't know unless we give it a try :drunk:

hair4romheaven

I can only do rinses since I will be in braids for the next 6mnths. So I guess I will give it a try. ;-) I will report back in June after 6 months of using the rinses. Thanks Krystle~Hime. Your hair is GORG! and has really thickened up!
I will be using Amla, Brahmi & neem.
I also have neem oil and amla oil which I will also be using.

nakialovesshoes

I used Ayurvedic products a few years ago. I only did the rinses. This time around I'm trying the paste method. Tonight I did a shikakai paste & then co-washed w/some AOHR.

I have my hair in plaits as I'm on a serious PS/hide my hair mission. Some of my plaits unraveled (my hair is only like 3-4 inches) & when I was rebraiding, there was grit galore. I tried not to let it bother me since I won't be wearing my hair out & I co-wash daily. I think maybe if my hair was down, I could've gotten alot more of the grit out.

hair4romheaven

nakialovesshoes how did the rinses work for you. Did your hair thicken up. I can't deal with the grit. I think I will have a set back leaving grit in my hair or thinking I rinsed it all only to find more.

growinghealthyhair

Krystle~Hime

Wow. Your results are truly amazing!! Ive been adding them to my conditioners lately since my hair was braided up. But I'm going to do a paste tomorrow. What do you ore oil with??

Also...what's that shade you're wearing? Very nice!

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

@nakialovesshoes how did the rinses work for you. Did your hair thicken up. I can't deal with the grit. I think I will have a set back leaving grit in my hair or thinking I rinsed it all only to find more.

hair4romheaven

I got good results from using the rinses. I was using them once weekly. I was also using Vatika & Amla oils (sometimes mixed with AV & some random EOs) as an overnight prepoo. My hair was darker, stronger & in overall better shape. I just got lazy & stopped doing it & never returned. :nono:

Because the grit doesn't feel jagged like say, grains of sand, I don't think it's hurting anything. But of course, that's my hair - you have to do what works for you.:yep:

Last edited:

chebaby

ive been using powders for about a year. i usually use henna but the henna is pre mixed with other herbs. usually i use napur 9 herbs blend. i dont get many split ends and my strands seem stronger but i did not get thickening of density. shoot i wish cause my hair is medium to low density and i wish it were thicker.
i stopped using henna once i saw it was loosening my hair but that temporary and my hair bounced back so now i will be going back to henna but not as often. i will probably do a treatment 1x a month for 4 hours at a time.
i also plan on buying more herbs and doing treatment with amla and bringraj and no henna.

MissMasala5

I think it has been three years for me now. I use/have used herbal oils, powder pastes and henna/indigo glosses. I don't mind cowashing and rinsing out the grit from the pastes. Over summer I slacked off of my Ayurvedic routine and recently flat ironed my hair and it wasn't pretty :nono: Since Ayurveda and protective styling got my hair in excellent shape over time, I guess I got a bit cocky and stopped adhering to the regimen. I learned my lesson the hard way, and ended up cutting a few inches off the ends.

Krystle~Hime

Wow. Your results are truly amazing!! Ive been adding them to my conditioners lately since my hair was braided up. But I'm going to do a paste tomorrow. What do you ore oil with??

Also...what's that shade you're wearing? Very nice!

It's MAC Media Lipstick :drunk: <3 <3
What do I ore oil with...?

Krystle~Hime

Ok I know you didn't say it. That's why I asked. From what I've read you are supposed to when using powders.

mmh no that's wrong, you are not "supposed to" do anything. there is no rules.
or maybe some things you should think like mixing powders with hot water better than cold water... :look:
waiting a little for rehydrating powders and let the benefits release before applying the paste(not a lot of people don't do that, but my herborist friends who deal every day with plants and dried herbs recommended me this.

but if you are afraid of the powders making your hair dry, do a gloss by adding a tablespoon of your fav conditioner in the paste. or as you said, do a pre poo.
but I prefer to not apply oil on strands before doing my indian hair treatment cause I don't want to coat my hair with a film that would reduce the effectiveness of the herbs. just IMO.

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

Actually when I'm not being lazy I'll do a double tea rinse once a week.Otherwise I'll do the moisturizing powders mixed with cond.

OMG ! i've just read the linked post !! your review on tea rinses is awesome ! and i'm happy to have finally found a true review from a consistent use :drunk:
hair4romheaven you must read it !!!

flowinlocks now im sorry because i'm gonna attack you several questions.
cause in 2012 i want to include tea rinses in my regimen maybe twice a week and only do pastes once a month.

~could you please tell me the ratio on how many tablespoons you but for how many cups ?
~have you ever use the rinses without following them by AM(aussie moist I suppose?) and Suave Humectant ? I mean, just cowashing with the rinses, as these herbs condition very well hair by themselves.

g.lo

bumpty, bump!:grin: i started adding ayurvedic powders in my Dc once a wek, i use bhrami, makka, amla and hibiscus, so far i like it, my roots are getting thicker definitely!

MissMasala5

I always pre-oil before washes, whether the washes are with conditioners, powder pastes or shikakai shampoo bars. When I use the pastes as treatments they are mixed with my deep conditioner or just instant conditioner for glosses. If you are doing tea rinses instead of pastes then I can see not oiling the hair behorehand.

Carrie A

MissMasala5

There is an Indian Grocer nearby but I recall stories of henna sold past the sell by date so I'm a little weary. I've ordered Jamila Henna online in the past. What are the major brand names of the powders that you use? Are there sold in the beauty section and are use by dates printed on the boxes?

flowinlocks

OMG ! i've just read the linked post !! your review on tea rinses is awesome ! and i'm happy to have finally found a true review from a consistent use :drunk:
@hair4romheaven you must read it !!!

@flowinlocks now im sorry because i'm gonna attack you several questions.
cause in 2012 i want to include tea rinses in my regimen maybe twice a week and only do pastes once a month.

~could you please tell me the ratio on how many tablespoons you but for how many cups ?

I use a tablespoon of each powder. If I'm using a drying/cleansing powder like Shikakai. I always cut it with double the amount of Amla. As far as cups. I don't measure. I steep the powders in a small saucepan. Then further dilute it by pouring it in a gallon pitcher an filling it the rest of the way with warm water. I'm my experience from lurking and reading every Ayurveda thread imaginable one of the biggest problems I see is dryness from either using tea that's too strong. These powders are VERY strong and 2 cups of water just doesn't cut it for me..

~have you ever use the rinses without following them by AM(aussie moist I suppose?) and Suave Humectant ? I mean, just cowashing with the rinses, as these herbs condition very well hair by themselves.

Never! I always do treatments on preoiled hair and apply my cond. ON TOP of the tea. I only do this with the moisturizing teas like Maka/Bhringraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, Hibiscus....

For the more drying/cleansing teas I usually follow with the moisturizing teas and cond. on top Or just cond.