Long Term Users of Ayurvedic Products

What are the best products to use - for what/why?
Amla, brahmi, bringaraj, hibiscus, henna and cassia

What positive/negative changes have you noticed?
-thickness, resilience, shines, warmer colour and strength
-have to only do cassia/henna in moderation as it jacks up my curl pattern and make it puffy:look:

What is your routine?
I mostly use it for in deep conditioners and pastes

Kurlee, I remember when you started asking about hibiscus, now since, i would like to ask you if hibiscus changes your hair color, you have the same siggy with the long black hair for a time, so i'm wondering, because i'm so afraid of using it cause i don't want a reddish tint/highlights.

mmh no that's wrong, you are not "supposed to" do anything. there is no rules.
or maybe some things you should think like mixing powders with hot water better than cold water... :look:
waiting a little for rehydrating powders and let the benefits release before applying the paste(not a lot of people don't do that, but my herborist friends who deal every day with plants and dried herbs recommended me this.

but if you are afraid of the powders making your hair dry, do a gloss by adding a tablespoon of your fav conditioner in the paste. or as you said, do a pre poo.
but I prefer to not apply oil on strands before doing my indian hair treatment cause I don't want to coat my hair with a film that would reduce the effectiveness of the herbs. just IMO.

Well I have better results when I pre oil. You should research it yourself.

Kurlee, I remember when you started asking about hibiscus, now since, i would like to ask you if hibiscus changes your hair color, you have the same siggy with the long black hair for a time, so i'm wondering, because i'm so afraid of using it cause i don't want a reddish tint/highlights.

I used it last week and my new growth (no henna so it's light brown) was very reddish! I followed up with indigo treatment last night so it's not reddish any ore

@Kurlee, I remember when you started asking about hibiscus, now since, i would like to ask you if hibiscus changes your hair color, you have the same siggy with the long black hair for a time, so i'm wondering, because i'm so afraid of using it cause i don't want a reddish tint/highlights.
i mixed the hibiscus with henna, cassia, indigo and other ayurvedic powders and it made my ends have a black cherry type look. it is slightly noticeable when wet and very noticeable with blowouts in the summer. BUT! It made my hair uber soft. Glorious!

I used it last week and my new growth (no henna so it's light brown) was very reddish! I followed up with indigo treatment last night so it's not reddish any ore

Well I have better results when I pre oil. You should research it yourself.

Thank you. I've researched and found what my hair likes : just clarifying my hair prior to put mask. so no, I don't put oil before.

mmmh, I forgot to specify that my hair color is jet black. I've read several times that the color deposit is less noticeable on my hair color than on light's. but thank you for your review.

btw do you have pics from your progress using indian powders included hibiscus ?

i mixed the hibiscus with henna, cassia, indigo and other ayurvedic powders and it made my ends have a black cherry type look. it is slightly noticeable when wet and very noticeable with blowouts in the summer. BUT! It made my hair uber soft. Glorious!

it's interesting that color has only changed at ends ! with all the hair you've got it must be very nice !!
that's it :"uber soft, so soft, amazingly soft" I know i'm missing something :sad: snif !
thank you Kurlee

Just mixed up some: Brhami, Alma, Kalpi Tone. I added honey and a oil blend. Might add a little of Aphogee 2 min to it.
I'm going to use it hopefully on Friday/Saturday. I will be trying to use this mix twice a month.

I love Ayurvedic powders. I been using henna consistently since 2009, and I love it. My hair has medium strands and thick density but henna has multiplied it times 10! I like the feel of the paste in my hair and the way it weighs down my hair, I find it fun..like playing in mud..:drunk: I use it once a month.

Henna coloring! Love it! People thought it was natural..
HairUpdateSpring2011016.jpg

HairUpdateSpring2011025.jpg

Avyurvedic Paste: Brhami, Kalpi Tone and some other powder..I forget:ohwell:
HairUpdateSpring2011046.jpg

HairUpdateSpring2011047.jpg

I'm hooked,:yep:

@nakialovesshoes please ! create a go ayurveda challenge 2012 !! i'm so in a hurry to try all of what @flowinlocks:grin: thanks you again.

Krystle~Hime
@Nyssa28 is supposed to be starting a challenge thread. I will post here when she starts it.

@Kurlee Your hair is gorgeous. Do you mind sharing some of your fave Ayurveda recipes? Also, do you feel like you're getting the most out of the powders without boiling them & adding them to DC? I guess I thought you had to boil them for the nutrients/good stuff to be released.

@Krystle~Hime
@Nyssa28 is supposed to be starting a challenge thread. I will post here when she starts it.

@Kurlee Your hair is gorgeous. Do you mind sharing some of your fave Ayurveda recipes? Also, do you feel like you're getting the most out of the powders without boiling them & adding them to DC? I guess I thought you had to boil them for the nutrients/good stuff to be released.
Aww thanks:blush::blush::blush:. To be honest, I'm the worst with recipes. I usually just eyeball it and pour in Amla, Brahmi and Bringaraj into Joico moisture recovery balm with coconut milk and avocado oil. I then sit under the dryer for an hour and then rinse it out in the morning.

If I'm doing a henna, which I only do two to three times a year, I will add all of the above, plus indigo (75% of the mix) and hibsicus and then sit under the dryer for an hour and then follow up with a moisturizing conditioner with coconut oil and avocado oil added.

I'm way too lazy to boil the stuff, cuz I would have to wait for it and then wash the pot:look:. Do tell me more about the boiling:yep:.

Last edited:
it's interesting that color has only changed at ends ! with all the hair you've got it must be very nice !!
that's it :"uber soft, so soft, amazingly soft" I know i'm missing something :sad: snif !
thank you Kurlee
I'm assuming it's only the ends cuz maybe that hair is old and weak and porous and stuff. I was kinda hoping the colour would go all over, but the top just looks espressoey.

Aww thanks:blush::blush::blush:. To be honest, I'm the worst with recipes. I usually just eyeball it and pour in Amla, Brahmi and Bringaraj into Joico moisture recovery balm with coconut milk and avocado oil. I then sit under the dryer for an hour and then rinse it out in the morning.

If I'm doing a henna, which I only do two to three times a year, I will add all of the above, plus indigo (75% of the mix) and hibsicus and then sit under the dryer for an hour and then follow up with a moisturizing conditioner with coconut oil and avocado oil added.

I'm way too lazy to boil the stuff, cuz I would have to wait for it and then wash the pot:look:. Do tell me more about the boiling:yep:.

Kurlee
I was always taught to make "teas" with the powders. Even on YT, when the ladies are making pastes, they still add hot water to the powders. I thought it was truly like making tea to drink, hot water was essential.

Well hello there ladies :grin:!!

I'm a tea maker, and reading @flowinlocks clearly indicates that I follow her method :yep:. I oil prior to doing my tea rinses, and follow with a cowash. I oil typically with an Afroveda oil (to use them up), then I rinse under warm water and follow with a tea rinse. I put 2 plastic caps on my head, followed by a turbie towel, and let it sit for around 45 minutes. Then I rinse well and follow with Wen, then the rest of my routine. I do this 1x/week in the winter and 2x/week in the summer, if I have time.

I'm going to start incorporating kalpi tone pastes next year. I've got multiple boxes of it, because I have and love black hair.

I also incorporate the powders, in tea form, throughout the week. I infuse water with herbs for my daily spritz, my acv rinse, all of that. I'm not much of a picture taker, but my hair is SO much darker and shinier than it was before I started. My mom mentioned it over Thanksgiving; I hadn't noticed it before then but she's right :yep:. Consistency really does make a difference!

Last edited:
Moisturizing tea used as final leave-in rinse after washing hair:
3 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
3 tablespoons catnip tea
30 dried hibiscus flowers

Place the dry ingredients in a ceramic tea pot. Bring water to a boil in kettle and fill the tea pot. Cover pot with lid and allow to steep and cool to room temperature. Place muslin bag, stocking foot or cheese cloth over mouth of clean plastic or glass bottle to strain tea. Pour tea into jug and refrigerate.

NOTE: If you have a coffee maker, you can place teas in coffee filter and drip the hot water through and you will not have to strain the tea.

All of these herbs are moisturizing for my hair. I will pour one cup of the tea into my 64 oz plastic jug kept in the shower, add warm water to fill the jug and pour over my hair as final rinse. I sometimes add a tablespoon of honey (humectant) and/or a teaspoon of lemon juice (shine) to the rinse jug. I apply ayurvedic oils to crown, edges and ends. Make a single braid to dry.

I've gotten lazy and I only occasionally wash with shikakai and condition with fenugreek. I do pastes for both. I do find that it makes my hair thicker, but it's only bulk from the powders and goes away eventually. Same thing with henna. I actually don't like the feeling, so I only henna every 6 weeks or so when my grey roots are noticeable

Shikakai is my favorite, and I want to start doing it every other wash. I don't find it drying at all, it's very conditioning and really clarifies my hair. As long as my hair is truly in need of washing, I don't need to pre oil. when I do pre oil, I always use mustard oil.

I get my herbs from a local indian store that makes powders and oils themselves. I find the quality a million times better than the hesh brand ones, but they don't always have everything in stock. I've been waiting for brahmi for the longest time

The one thing I have been consistent with, and will always continue to do, is oiling my scalp with bhringraj oil. I use it 3 or 4 days a week and I have gone from APL to waist this year

I went swimming this afternoon. I am going to pre-poo with infusion of henna, amla, neem, Brahmi, maka and shikakai powders in blend of castor, almond, tea tree, sunflower and sesame oils.

oiling my scalp with bhringraj oil. I use it 3 or 4 days a week and I have gone from APL to waist this year

what what whaaaaaat !!!??? APL to WL in one year? what was your growth rate last year? I mean how long did you get from BC to APL?
If you have specified bringhraj oil, that means you attribute all your growth and retention to it ??

It reminds me another thread, another went from APL to wl in one year but it was mainly because she was around 5'2".

When I use ayurveda more often and my hair was at it's best, I fell of for a couple months and noticed the difference, but I got back on it weekly or bi-weekly and again it's made a big difference.
I'm now using ayurvedic oils and the powders too. see my regimen in my blog.
about the kalpi tone, it's a mixture of different ayurvedic powders also some mixed powders have metals so watch the brand names and verify ingredients before you buy, I did my research and picked the powders with the benefits I wanted for my hair.

ETA: I use brhami, bringaraj pwders and mahabrhingaraj oil, vatika enriched coconut oil.

Last edited:
Been using about five years + or -. Started out using oils, premade and then started to make my own oil infusions. I started out by using about tbsp/cup and went from there.[There is a wealth of information on this site/net in general] I used teas/ added powders to my deep conditioners when I was relaxing and now that I am natural I love the pastes, but I don't use them every week.[I personally have to be careful about using "strengthening" things.

What I love is that you can customize your treatments according to your needs, if you take the time to read up on the herbs/their uses. I don't use ayurveda as growth aids, more of a general health/maintenance type of thing. I try to show respect for the fact that these are ancient practices/wisdom and that ayurveda is not a "quick fix" type of thing. My scalp has never been happier since using bhringraj oil.

Hi! My fav products are Brahmi pomade (vadic herbs)/Hibiscus powder & Mahabhringraj oil..

I have seen a tremendous improvement in the thickness & health of my scalp/hair in a short amount of time..Yes,the brahmi pomade smells but,when you use scented leave-ins/it mask the smell..

Hibiscus powder-I like to mix it with conditioners for a nice Ayurvedic treat...My hair loves hibiscus...Washes out well & your hair looks a feels thcker...

Mahabhringraj oil-Talk about preventing shedding..It does the job very well...Works wonders as a pre poo or leave-in scalp treatment...

*Another thing I do is try to use products that contains Ayurvedic oils..Ex-Original Moxie (Intense Quench) Dc first 5 ingredients are ayurvedic & the leave-in/Most of there products..

*You have a lot of brands that have ayurvedic herbs & oil in them...So if you dont want to mix/Try that route...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Funny I found this today, my mom and I were just talking about Ayurvedic hair methods and powders on yesterday. I haven't tried it since I've been natural only on relaxed hair and I too used the tea rinses, by running water and powders through my coffee maker. I am NOT a fan of grit in my hair. Anyway, next year goes into my second year being natural and I want BIG progress in regards to length and health. I don't need anymore thickness/density!!! Here I go dusting off my Amla and Shikakai powders......these should work beautifully with my SheaMoisture products. Thanks for the posts of encouragement, here we grow AGAIN!!!

I use:
Shikakai -- cleansing
Amla -- conditioning and cleansing
Brahmi -- very conditioning
Bhringaraj -- growth and moisture
Henna -- conditioning
Cassia -- conditioning
Hibiscus -- very moisturizing

I get the same poofiness but it's not a problem because I love poofy hair. I've been using ayurveda powders for about 2 years now (since Jan 2010). I've experienced the appearance of thicker hair. I also credit the powders with overall health of my hair and its shine.

Beginning -- Jan 2010

IMG_2670-vi.jpg

Currently -- Dec 2011

IMG_0042-vi.jpg

I add Shikakai and Amla powders to my cheapie condish and use that as my primary weekly (and sometimes midweek) cleanser. The only shampoo I use is a clarifier every couple months or so.

I add Brahmi, Henna, Cassia and Bhringaraj to my cheapie condish and use that as my primary rinse out conditioner. I use it after washing and as a cowash. I cowash or water rinse daily when I'm wiggin it. I may eventually cut out either Henna or Cassia but I haven't yet decided which. Hopefully I'll know before I use them up. I feel like my hair has benefited from using both.

This fall, I've started to add Hibiscus to my moisturizing DC and it has become a staple! It's very moisturizing and smells better than a lot of the other powders.

Using the powders this way has made it simple for me to add ayurveda to my reggie. Teas and pastes were too time consuming -- I've cut them out altogether. My hair is still reaping the benefits and I can see it in my progress pictures. HTH! :)

Back