Experiences with Hair Oiling

Have you noticed a positive change in your hair with oiling?

• Yes, I love it.

Votes: 106 75.7%
  • It's all right, not really super special.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Not really, my hair feels the same whether I do oil treatments or not.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Absolutely not. My hair hates excess oil.

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

*Muffin*

Hair oiling is a practice associated with Indian/Ayurvedic routines but is also practiced in other places (such as Africa and the Mediterannean). It is believed that oiling the hair with natural oils contributes to its health, adding to it richness of color, moisturization, strength, and increased shine. What I wanted to know is have any of you ladies noticed a positive change in the health, appearance, and condition of your hair from oiling (hot oil treatments with natural oils, pre-pooing, scalp massaging with oils, etc...)? Have you experienced increased growth from incorporating oiling into your hair care routine? And if so what oils do you prefer to use and how do you use them? Thank you :).

Last edited:

RosesBlack

My favorite oil hands down is coconut. I've used a bunch of others but coconut does everything my hair needs. I use it in my prepoo mixes, I use it as needed during the week between washes and especially on my ends. My hair always ends up feeling soft and is shiny.

that_1_grrrl

My favorite oil hands down is coconut. I've used a bunch of others but coconut does everything my hair needs. I use it in my prepoo mixes, I use it as needed during the week between washes and especially on my ends. My hair always ends up feeling soft and is shiny.

Pretty much.

I flat-ironed my hair yesterday and put oil on it yesterday and today. I was walking around in misting rain, and my hair didn't revert. I love oil and the many things it does. :)

HeyItsHoney

Oh, how I love coconut oil. Other than shea butter, its the only thing I put in my hair once I'm done conditioning. I also put some on my ends every night and it has made such a difference.

Sometimes I see people's lists of what they put on their hair, and I get tired before I'm done reading. :D

TexturedTresses

I'm kinda known for oiling my hair. I may not always use a moisturizer, but i do use oil. Oils also helps me to comb my hair... I like putting a little bit right before I comb my mane.

joytimes10

Oiling as a prepoo really helps on wash day. Since I've been doing this, I'm not loosing as many strands. I haven't been using oils long enogh to notice any growth result but I intend to add some additional oils to my regi, like alma, jojoba, sweet almond, and avocado oils.

jetbeauty09

I just started using oils last Sept and I haven't seen a big dramatic difference. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop because I know that the longer my hair gets, the more useful they will become to seal in moisture from root to tip. I like coconut oil, can't believe I had never heard of it before then.

*Muffin*

I'm kinda known for oiling my hair. I may not always use a moisturizer, but i do use oil. Oils also helps me to comb my hair... I like putting a little bit right before I comb my mane.

And your hair certainly looks beautiful and healthy. Would you say the oiling helped your hair's condition? I just started oiling. I warm up some coconut oil (which I love :)) and apply it to my hair and scalp and leave it on for about 15-30 minutes before I shampoo it out. So far I've noticed my hair is shinier and feels stronger, but it's too soon to say anything else.

Last edited:

TexturedTresses

I honestly can't really say. It keeps my hair moisturized and supple.... despite what many say about oil not being a moisturizer. It smoothes out my hair really well and adds shine.

Fhrizzball

hot oil treatments tangle up my hair but maybe I'm not doing it right. Just applying oil to my hair doesn't seem to affect me any but maybe time will tell. I haven't tried my hand at castor or coconut oil but when the weather warms up I might try my hand at that.

msa

I love oil. Almost as much as I love water.

I oil my hair with castor oil every single day. Love it. I also over night condition with coconut oil or castor oil. Coconut oil is a great conditioner, I just put it on wet hair, comb through, braid up, and put on a plastic cap. By morning it's absorbed. Same with the castor oil. Castor is supposed to help with the thickness and I can't say for sure that it does, but I do know that it makes my hair stronger.

Water and oil. That's all I need in my life. Everything else is just extra.

RavenMaven

I use EVOO.. I am trying to get my hands on some coconut oil. Hopefully someone can shine some light on me lol. But yeah I put EVOO in an empty lotion bottle, and it's all that I use on my skin, hair, and everything else. I don't like getting that other crap from the store, because if you look on the ingredient list, there's a bunch of CRAP in there that sounds like it came straight from the science laboratory. All of that stuff gets absorbed in your bloodstream, especially after continued daily use, and who knows what could be lurking around in your body. So I would rather have natural oils such as olive oil in my body, than having many chemicals in there. I'm a big ol hippie yall.

LaidBak

I have come to love oil and acknowledge the benefits of it. My hair is always soft, shiny and easier to comb. These are currently in heavy rotation for me:
-EVOO for deep conditioning
-Amla oil for pre-pooing
-jojoba oil mixed with my liquid leave in for extra shine

I also love, LOVE almond oil for all over hair, face and body use. Emu oil I know has all these great benefits. I use it on my hair (and face) but its expensive so I don't use it all the time. I just started experimenting with coconut oil. Its kind of a hassle though because I prefer it solid but I can't keep it that way in my hot *ss bathroom. I guess I should just give in and put it in an applicator bottle (instead of its jar).

darlingdiva

This year, I've been pre-pooing w/ castor oil & my hair isn't as dry. I think it might be contributing to the reduced breakage that I've been seeing lately. It also works well on my ends.

Dommo

I love oiling my hair as well on dry hair...I use alopecil cinnamon and rosemary oil or dr Hauschka neem oil and they are so nourishing and really penetrate my hair...I dont really like using creamy moisturizers... I get most of my moisture from my conditioners and leave-ins and then use oil...

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I love jojoba oil. I use it everyday after cowashing or rinsing my hair. I plan on trying castor oil soon.

Coconut oil did not work for me at all and on top of that, I can't stand the smell of coconut.

Denise11

When I started this hair journey a few months ago, I complained of dryness. My hair was always dry, no breakage though. Since I started using Coconut oil-No more dryness!!!

Coconut oil keeps my hair so soft and strong without being greasy.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I'm using aloe vera oil, and so far, so good. I'm going to try coconut soon, and I have some shea butter oil that I'm going to add to the rotation as well.

ljf67

I oil simply because that's what my Mom taught me to do. I've used many different types but always end up back at BB Super Gro - Extra Lite formula. Since I am trying to stretch my perm, it helps especially when I blow dry my hair.

spinspinshuga

Coconut oil really does do everything, whether my hair is straight or curly. Amla/Brahmi oil has considerably thickened up my hair.
I didn't do oils before LHCF, but they've vastly improved the health of my scalp and hair.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Brahmi, Coconut, Mahabhringraj, Alma and Shikaiki oils. LOVE deep oiling, especially since I'm coming up on 14 weeks post. I oil overnight or oil under my heating cap for at least 1 hour prior to shampooing.

chebaby

i love oiling my hair. i wouldnt say that i saw any growth from it but my hair is healthier because of it. i have been using coconut oil off and on for a year now and i love it. now im using vatika frosting and i love that more. im one of those that moisturizes and seal twice a day but i noticed lately that all i have to do is use vatika frosting and my hair stays moisturized and soft and silky.

ETA : i also mix oils in my pre poo and deep conditioners. i like to mix castor oil when i deep condition with heat because it makes my hair thicker.

CHECKMATE!

When I started this hair journey a few months ago, I complained of dryness. My hair was always dry, no breakage though. Since I started using Coconut oil-No more dryness!!!

Coconut oil keeps my hair so soft and strong without being greasy

ITA with this...Coconut oil is the truth! :yep:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I think that it was when I started pre-pooing and using my oils daily that I saw the greatest change in the thickness and overall health of my hair. I know for sure olive oil helps me detangle like nothing else. I must have an oiling process in my regimen.
I love olive oil and amla oil for pre-pooing, castor oil and coconut oil for sealing.

Last edited:

BlackHairDiva

YES!!! To me shikakai oil is my miracle oil...My hair is moisturized. I plan to order it from Hairveda on a bi-weekly basis. My worst nightmare is to run out of hairveda products. So I will be ordering it on a bi-weekly basis