• No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestiza

Okay you guys are dropping some serious knowledge here about the koolaid, I had never heard of this or seen it while in high school.

I just found out about the Indigo gloss (using indigo and conditioner for touch ups to keep the color fresh and stretching your indigo product) and Hindigo gloss (henna dye released and then added indigo) last night. Please let us know how it goes.

Here is what I learned. And of course, this is probably already mentioned somewhere in the 30 eleven thousand pages of this thread! :lachen:

"For example, I find indigo glosses (indigo mixed straight with conditioner) are great on me, and the colour sticks around - very helpful if it fades on your roots at an alarming rate - I just stick the mix on the roots, and leave it for about 15 min (any longer and my hair will go JET black). I use about 3 tsp indigo to oh, maybe about 3 tbsp (is that the abbreviation for table spoon???!! that's what I meant) of condish.

A henndigo gloss also works well to....dye released henna, then indigo added when ready, and condish - sometimes this is all I do to touch up the colour, it can even work as a root treatment to keep the cost down!"

This came from another hair board I have been reviewing.
Indigo glossing sounds very interesting! On what site did you find that? TIA! :)

Mestiza

I never thought of glossing w/ indigo. To be honest, I still haven't tried henna glossing. But my test strands are soaking in lemon koolaid right now. I'll leave them for 30 minutes. If there's no color change I'll put them back for another 30.

How did it the henna w/ lemon koolaid mix go?

Mestiza

I just got caught up. I didn't realize that it had been so long since I posted in one of my favorite threads of all time. :nono:

I'm still using henna on my hair. The store did finally get the Jamila Henna that I requested. I used that a couple of times and like it, but not as much as my beloved Dulhan Henna. :love: I'm trying Karishma Herbal Henna (link below) at this very moment. There were little twigs in the powder, :ohwell: but the mix that I made was smooth. I hope that my hair turns out okay.

http://www.jeetherbals.com/pr1.html

:update:

Overall, my hair did turn out good from using the Karishma Herbal Henna. It made my hair a little wavier than normal. I hated the twigs and other crap that was in that powder and b/c of that, won't be using it, anymore. :ohwell: I bought some more Jamila Henna so that I can give it another try. I plan to use that on my next henna day.

carameldiva

Glad that it turned out well for you. I know how you feel about the twigs and stuff. I am using up some henna i bought last year on ebay- last 500g. It works well and is still fresh but it has the twigs and stuff. Soon as it is done- i will be using the Singh henna that i got from www.hennaking.com. Can't wait. Oh and i used the Rhassoul Clay that i got from www.hennasooq.com to cleanse my hair and scalp this morning. It was easy to prepare and quick. Made my curl pattern looser , more on the curlier and thick side. I love and and will alternate between this and the Shikakai powder.

:update:

Overall, my hair did turn out good from using the Karishma Herbal Henna. It made my hair a little wavier than normal. I hated the twigs and other crap that was in that powder and b/c of that, won't be using it, anymore. :ohwell: I bought some more Jamila Henna so that I can give it another try. I plan to use that on my next henna day.

4mia

i did an indigo gloss last night i love this method muc hbetter than doing a henna plus indigo everytime i do know i need to henna at least 1x a month or so then i can do indigo glosses between, this will really stretch out the product for me
thanks

mscocoface

i did an indigo gloss last night i love this method muc hbetter than doing a henna plus indigo everytime i do know i need to henna at least 1x a month or so then i can do indigo glosses between, this will really stretch out the product for me
thanks

Oh goody, this is what I am going to try when I need a touch up. I just did my Indigo less than two weeks ago so I will do this in between Henna's too.

Mestiza

Glad that it turned out well for you. I know how you feel about the twigs and stuff. I am using up some henna i bought last year on ebay- last 500g. It works well and is still fresh but it has the twigs and stuff. Soon as it is done- i will be using the Singh henna that i got from www.hennaking.com. Can't wait. Oh and i used the Rhassoul Clay that i got from www.hennasooq.com to cleanse my hair and scalp this morning. It was easy to prepare and quick. Made my curl pattern looser , more on the curlier and thick side. I love and and will alternate between this and the Shikakai powder.

Those twigs are nerve wracking. I washed my hair for a long time and still had a few twigs in it. :wallbash: That Rhassoul Clay sounds nice. :)

Joanna721

Thanks! Yep, I'm texturized. According to the hennaforhair people, you can use body art quality henna on processed hair. You can't use compound henna (the kind sold in most stores) on processed hair. But I did test it first.

Who should NOT use henna in their hair?

You should NOT put COMPOUND HENNA on hair that has been straightened, permed, dyed, or bleached in the previous year. The results can range from peculiar to catastrophic. Goat vomit green and swamp bottom black are the most common color results. If you use BODY ART QUALITY HENNA on your straightened, permed, dyed, or bleached hair, you'll probably do just fine, but test first!

If you have used ANY commercial hair dye in the previous year, harvest your hair from your hairbrush and henna your spare hair to see if you get the infamous green or if enough of the chemical residue has rinsed out that you get nice results!

Compound henna over Synthetically Dyed Hair = DEAD HAIR!
I do mean dead. You can't fix it.
This is "shave your head and join a nunnery" dead hair!
Start over. Grow it again.

If you use body art quality henna on your hair, there won't be any problem.

thank you for this sooooo much
I bought some henna from CVS (Henna Placenta) and I was gonna use it this weekend now Im so scared that Im goin straight to hennaforhair.com or mehandi cause um no shave ur head nunnery stuff for me...thnx ladies

sareca

thank you for this sooooo much
I bought some henna from CVS (Henna Placenta) and I was gonna use it this weekend now Im so scared that Im goin straight to hennaforhair.com or mehandi cause um no shave ur head nunnery stuff for me...thnx ladies

:lachen: @ nunnery. Yea, it's better safe than sorry. http://www.HennaSooq.com sells body art quality (BAQ) henna also.

sareca

Ok so I decided against the koolaid, but I still got what I was after. :yay:

The strand test from the koolaid wasn't shiny. It was still soft, elastic and otherwise in good condition but it didn't have any sheen at all. :huh: Even without oil my hair has a sheen.

I decided to go back to tumeric but add much much more than I did during my previous attempts. I used about half of one of those mccormick spice containers. Here are the results...

This one is part sun part shade and full shade.

I don' t know why, but you can actually see the color in natural door light. It's not over the top, but it's visible :eek:

Last edited:

carameldiva

I like it. question: How much shikakai do you add to your henna mix? I added 2.5 tablespoons to mine last time- is that too much or too little?

Ok so I decided against the koolaid, but I still got what I was after. :yay:

The strand test from the koolaid wasn't shiny. It was still soft, elastic and otherwise in good condition but it didn't have any sheen at all. :huh: Even without oil my hair has a sheen.

I decided to go back to tumeric but add much much more than I did during my previous attempts. I used about half of one of those mccormick spice containers. Here are the results...

This one is part sun part shade and full shade.

I don' t know why, but you can actually see the color in natural door light. It's not over the top, but it's visible :eek:

Mestiza

No sheen at all!?! :eek: Well, I would've ditched the koolaid, too, Sareca.

The color of your hair is beautiful in all of those pics. :rosebud: I can't decide which one I like more. This reminds me that I have a bag of Tumeric sitting in my freezer that I need to use.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I do agree, absolutely gorgeous :)

Okay then I have a favor to ask of you. I can only take a very limited amount of requests for this because I only need a few pictures of hair results.

I would love to have in between details as well. Before and after shots of hair results using natural herbs. For sure of just henna, then one with henna and indigo, and then of someone that just uses cassia. I would need the picture in good condition and preferably the original picture. That way I can adjust as needed.
I am offering 100 grams of any powdered product per picture that is approved and used. Please do not PM me. I actually don't mind the PMs in general but for this, I don't really like the format. I prefer a direct email at [email protected]

Thank you ladies! I really appreciate the help. I apologize in advance for those pictures I won't be able to use, as I really like all of you and don't want anyone to take it personally.

Khadija

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Khadija, Sareca or anyone with knowledge,

Could I use Cassia instead of henna and then apply my indigo?
Would the cassia bind to the strands just like henna as a foundation for indigo?

What are your thoughts and experiences

I like the idea of the indigogloss too. :yep:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Good morning,

As for the indogo gloss...hhhmmm we all know how fussy that indigo can be and really don't see what results would come from it being used alone.

There is been a lot of talk about using cassia instead of henna along with the indigo. But I still have to verify some tests and information to confirm any of this.

My concern would be with this is how would you get brown tones using cassia and indigo? Most likely without the red of henna there won't be any brown results and that for cassia and indigo that would only be suitable for creating black tones.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for responding so quickly Khadija! :yep:
See my responses.

Good morning,

As for the indogo gloss...hhhmmm we all know how fussy that indigo can be and really don't see what results would come from it being used alone.

I never had problem with applying indigo. But because of my breakage issues, I need to add oils and conditioner to these natural products if I want to continue using them. What would you recommend for me if I want black tones if not an indigogloss.

There is been a lot of talk about using cassia instead of henna along with the indigo. But I still have to verify some tests and information to confirm any of this.

My concern would be with this is how would you get brown tones using cassia and indigo? Most likely without the red of henna there won't be any brown results and that for cassia and indigo that would only be suitable for creating black tones.

I prefer the black tones so that would not be an issue for me unless it starts looking "witchy" on me. I doubt it because I have deep caramel color skin. I've read somewhere that Sareca uses indigo straight with no chaser! I have never tried straight indigo because the resulting color is not desireable in some cases.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I hear you for sure yes adding the oils is a must! especially with wanting to continue with the herbal products.

The indigo will still need some help to bind to the hair strand even if it is a gloss. Does anyone want to try to compare the results with a indigo gloss on hair? Also with adding another conditioning product you have to keep in mind that the indigo becomes a bit diluted.

Sareca, straight indigo with no chaser? I missed that one.

Maybe it keeps on binding well because Sareca has used henna as well many times...

We will get this straightened out! :)

But basically what are you trying to achieve January Noir, being able to use more conditioners and oils in with the herbal product such as the indigo?

sareca

Good morning,

I'm inclined to agree. I've never tried it either but indigo is very picky.

sareca

I hear you for sure yes adding the oils is a must! especially with wanting to continue with the herbal products.

The indigo will still need some help to bind to the hair strand even if it is a gloss. Does anyone want to try to compare the results with a indigo gloss on hair? Also with adding another conditioning product you have to keep in mind that the indigo becomes a bit diluted.

Sareca, straight indigo with no chaser? I missed that one.

Maybe it keeps on binding well because Sareca has used henna as well many times...

We will get this straightened out! :)

But basically what are you trying to achieve January Noir, being able to use more conditioners and oils in with the herbal product such as the indigo?

Yes, but I had henna'd my hair for about 4 months (once/week) before I tried indigo. So the indigo definitely had something to build on. I also throw in a henna treatment after about 3-4 straight indigo treatments. It'll start to look artificial after too many straight indigo treatments. I do not recommended doing indigo without doing henna first. You won't be happy with it.

You know what I love most about henna. My hair has golden tones today, but I when I want the red back it's only a henna or two away. If I want the blue-black back it's only a couple indigo's away! Love it! :love2:

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Yes, Khadija, this is what I am trying to achieve;
being able to use more conditioners and oils in plain indigo, no henna added. I believe I have enough lawsone coating from previous treatments to just use the indigo as a gloss to keep my color "fresh."

Bonjour Sareca! Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!
See my responses below.

Yes, but I had henna'd my hair for about 4 months (once/week) before I tried indigo. So the indigo definitely had something to build on. I also throw in a henna treatment after about 3-4 straight indigo treatments. It'll start to look artificial after too many straight indigo treatments. I do not recommended doing indigo with doing henna first. You won't be happy with it.

I have been using henna & indigo for some time now, so my hair is well "lawsoned" if that is a word! :grin: I am aware that indigo alone produces a tone that is not desireable.

You know what I love most about henna. My hair has golden tones today, but I when I want the red back it's only a henna or two away. If I want the blue-black back it's only a couple indigo's away! Love it! :love2:

That's what I thought too!

sareca

Yes, Khadija, this is what I am trying to achieve;
being able to use more conditioners and oils in plain indigo, no henna added. I believe I have enough lawsone coating from previous treatments to just use the indigo as a gloss to keep my color "fresh."

Bonjour Sareca! Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!
See my responses below.

You're ready... go for it! If you're at all unsure strand test, but I didn't. As long as you're using the same brand of indigo you should be good to go. Also indigo isn't as drying as henna. I'm not sure if that's just me, but you probably don't need the conditioner. I'm still thinking it will dilute the color more than you want. Oil yes, conditioner... eh...

Have you tried conditioning first? I've found my hair is very happy (drynesswise) when I put a moisturizing conditoner on my dry hair, bag it, sit under the dryer for 15 minutes, rinse, towel dry, then indigo. It's kinda like combating the dryness before the battle begins. :)

HTH

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
YES! :grin:
I am going to add some oil to my indigo mix and try it.
I only purchase and use henna/indigo products from Henna Sooq and Catherine.

Love, love, love the conditioning-first tip! Now why didn't I think of that?
That would also help with my breakage issue with henna.
You are fantastic! I just sent you a PM...

You're ready... go for it! If you're at all unsure strand test, but I didn't. As long as you're using the same brand of indigo you should be good to go. Also indigo isn't as drying as henna. I'm not sure if that's just me, but you probably don't need the conditioner. I'm still thinking it will dilute the color more than you want. Oil yes, conditioner... eh...

Have you tried conditioning first? I've found my hair is very happy (drynesswise) when I put a moisturizing conditoner on my dry hair, bag it, sit under the dryer for 15 minutes, rinse, towel dry, then indigo. It's kinda like combating the dryness before the battle begins. :)

HTH

Last edited:

Snuckles

HTH

I wonder if this would work well with a henna treatment as well. Or does henna need to be applied to dry hair? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.