Youtube- New Tutorials Flatironing and Bun

nikki2229

Thank you for the video. I can not get smooth, non-reverting flat ironed hair that lasts longer than a day. I use a leave-in and heat protect but my hair feels sticky after a few hours. I feel like I use too much product but I am afraid that if I don't use enough, it will revert even quicker.

Your DD has a ton of growth and her hair appears to be very fine. It's beautiful, you didn't have to do much work to get it to blow dry straight with the tension method.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thank you for the video. I can not get smooth, non-reverting flat ironed hair that lasts longer than a day. I use a leave-in and heat protect but my hair feels sticky after a few hours. I feel like I use too much product but I am afraid that if I don't use enough, it will revert even quicker.

Your DD has a ton of growth and her hair appears to be very fine. It's beautiful, you didn't have to do much work to get it to blow dry straight with the tension method.
Thanks!! It takes no time to blowdry her hair because it is so fine.

I know that people hate to hear this phrase but my daughter's hair is "trained" to be flatironed straight. There is a difference between being trained and heat damaged. I have a lot of natural clients that come to me on a bi-monthly basis to get their hair straightened and their hair is trained too. The curls do come back with every wash and this is long term straightening.

Factors that my make her hair last a long time would be:
1. Her hair is very well conditioned. I sit her under the steamer with intensive hydrating mask for 45 minutes every week. All but about 4 inches of newgrowth is BKT hair but her new hair still stays straight. I need to do another treatment soon.
2. I have been flatironing her hair like that for quite some time this so it is "used" to being in the straight position. It's like hair memory.
3. The type of products I use.
4. The method I use. I take really small sections of hair and make sure to distribute the product evenly throughout the hair.
5. The flatiron I use. Every always cringes at the price of the FHI runway but look at the results. They are great!! The flat iron is well worth every penny.

Now as far as your hair is concerned you probably are using too much product. That is where the sticky feel comes from. If you use a leave in, it must be a very small amounts. Small amounts are key. Sometimes we may overdo it with the products because we are worried about heat damage but we don't use hot combs or dry heat on our hair. We use ceramic heat which is way more healthy for our strands than any stove iron.

You may also want to experiment with different products. Some of my favs are Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Relaxing Balm, PM Straight Works, PM Super Skinny Serum, and Phyto Hair Relaxing Balm. They all leave the hair feeling silky and smooth with lots of shine and movement.

Remember also to take small sections when flatironing your hair. This is key. Very important. :yep:

And Practice. Practice make perfect doesn't it!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thank for posting the videos! I will try that flat iron technique next time I flat iron. I flat ironed two weeks ago and it didnt come out good at all. I didn't blowdry though. I only airdried and flat ironed (plus I had a lot of underprocessed hair) because I was feeling lazy.

I always thought brushing wet hair was damaging but I see a lot of people using the denman brush.
Let me address the blowdrying while wet issue.

It is not ok to blowdry wet hair with a denman brush. It's too harsh. What I do is get the clients hair 70% dry with the blowdry tension method and then start using the denman. It is safe to do it this way.

If you need to absolutely blowdry wet hair using a brush the Paul Mitchell 413 brush or anyone similar to that is good because it has more spaces between the bristles and there is less tension put on the hair.

PM #413 brush:

bgsix

Let me address the blowdrying while wet issue.

It is not ok to blowdry wet hair with a denman brush. It's too harsh. What I do is get the clients hair 70% dry with the blowdry tension method and then start using the denman. It is safe to do it this way.

If you need to absolutely blowdry wet hair using a brush the Paul Mitchell 413 brush or anyone similar to that is good because it has more spaces between the bristles and there is less tension put on the hair.

PM #413 brush:

What type of blowdryer did you use in the video? Was PM Straight Works is the only leave in you used? Thx

Stella B.

Great tutorial! Your daughter's hair turned out perfect! I don't use heat a lot, but when I do, I will be refering back to your vids. It's always good to hear from the pros!!! Thanks so much for the info and tips.:grin:

Lucky's Mom

Thanks!! It takes no time to blowdry her hair because it is so fine.

I know that people hate to hear this phrase but my daughter's hair is "trained" to be flatironed straight. There is a difference between being trained and heat damaged. I have a lot of natural clients that come to me on a bi-monthly basis to get their hair straightened and their hair is trained too. The curls do come back with every wash and this is long term straightening.

Factors that my make her hair last a long time would be:
1. Her hair is very well conditioned. I sit her under the steamer with intensive hydrating mask for 45 minutes every week. All but about 4 inches of newgrowth is BKT hair but her new hair still stays straight. I need to do another treatment soon.
2. I have been flatironing her hair like that for quite some time this so it is "used" to being in the straight position. It's like hair memory.
3. The type of products I use.
4. The method I use. I take really small sections of hair and make sure to distribute the product evenly throughout the hair.
5. The flatiron I use. Every always cringes at the price of the FHI runway but look at the results. They are great!! The flat iron is well worth every penny.

Now as far as your hair is concerned you probably are using too much product. That is where the sticky feel comes from. If you use a leave in, it must be a very small amounts. Small amounts are key. Sometimes we may overdo it with the products because we are worried about heat damage but we don't use hot combs or dry heat on our hair. We use ceramic heat which is way more healthy for our strands than any stove iron.

You may also want to experiment with different products. Some of my favs are Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Relaxing Balm, PM Straight Works, PM Super Skinny Serum, and Phyto Hair Relaxing Balm. They all leave the hair feeling silky and smooth with lots of shine and movement.

Remember also to take small sections when flatironing your hair. This is key. Very important. :yep:

And Practice. Practice make perfect doesn't it!!

Girl - I think you done PREACHED a sermon!!!!!!

The FHI is from heaven and the FHI dryer came in the mail the other day.....
Totally agree!!!

Last edited:

HairBella08

Great bun tutorial. I've been looking for something different in protective styling. Where did you find the flower wth a rubber band?

Finally Free

Excellent tutorials! Your DD'S hair is beautiful & I love the color! She is truly blessed to have a mother like you. Kudos to you mom!

nikki2229

Is the teflon tape the same that you can get from a hardware store?
Or does it specifically have to be made for use with a flat iron?
Also how long does it last? Do you have to replace the tape often?

SelfStyled

You are so incrediby talented, to it's a shame. I wish that I could find a stylist that had your skills and was also in to healthy hair. Your hair is gorgeous, as is your daughters. Seriously- one the best flat iron tutorials that I have ever seen. I am wishing you all the prosperity in the worl DSD, you got skills.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
You are so incrediby talented, to it's a shame. I wish that I could find a stylist that had your skills and was also in to healthy hair. Your hair is gorgeous, as is your daughters. Seriously- one the best flat iron tutorials that I have ever seen. I am wishing you all the prosperity in the worl DSD, you got skills.
Awwwww. You are too sweet for words. Thank you so much!!