You CAN unlock your dreadlocks if you want to...

MsLizziA

So my cousin is looking to lock up but she wants the option of unlocking her hair and she didn't think it was possible.

I saw a blog post once of this chick who unlocked her hair but i couldn't find it. Low and behold, i came across a youtube vid of a chick unlocking her dreadlocks and she also posted how her hair looked when it was done. Needless to say she lost some hair but at least she didn't have to cut them all out of her head!

Unlocking dreadlocks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=ge4_WSxWJgc&v=TQQNwX1iGIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=qp1jJwwi3Y8&feature=related

Once she was done unlocking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=xluGRPcfC1A&feature=fvw

ycj1

I did see the video, and saw how difficult it would be besides long and tedious to do. Her hair is long but it looks thin to me and not as healthy as she has stated! I think I will stick with my braid routine instead of the locking.

I also noticed the back of her hair when she was in the chair and the top apears to be much shorter than the rest. I don't know what happened but she did in fact loose alot of her hair in the take down process!

I am happy for her that she decided to do so, but for me I could'nt!

MsLizziA

I did see the video, and saw how difficult it would be besides long and tedious to do. Her hair is long but it looks thin to me and not as healthy as she has stated! I think I will stick with my braid routine instead of the locking.

I also noticed the back of her hair when she was in the chair and the top apears to be much shorter than the rest. I don't know what happened but she did in fact loose alot of her hair in the take down process!

I am happy for her that she decided to do so, but for me I could'nt!
I agree too but its just nice to know you have the option to

Fhrizzball

Her hair looks really dry from the color. The thing about taking down locs I would worry about the after affect of piking it out as that can possibly cause alot of breakage and splits. I would worry about hair thinning out too.

Her hair looked about SL when fully taken out the back was just covered by the locs and had shrinkage I suppose.I wouldn't have the patience personally so kudos to her.

I'll just stick with twist or braids and pretend they're locs :]

For everything else I can try yarn braids to top it off.

BlackMasterPiece

If her ultimate goal is to be a loose natural, then why dont you tell her about yarn braids? She can have the look of locks for the experience without the commitment and grow her natural hair out in the meantime.

Locs can def be unlocked but theres an easier way to experience it if she just wants to try it out. This is one of my fave yarn braid looks, this girls gorgeous:yep:

trevprit

I agree too but its just nice to know you have the option to

I heard (and the info I got may be wrong), that you have the option if you palm-roll for retightening, but if you have sisterlocs or you latch to retighten, then you have to cut them off.

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My classmate combed hers out. It took 2 weeks but she did it. She had BSL locs and snipped the ends off and started by herself. She finished the rest in a salon. Her hair looks around SL after the combout and trim

glamazon386

It can be done. It's very time consuming but it can be done. I knew a girl who took hers out with toothpicks back in college.

Michelle1971

I heard (and the info I got may be wrong), that you have the option if you palm-roll for retightening, but if you have sisterlocs or you latch to retighten, then you have to cut them off.

You can unlock your dreads no matter how you start them. I believe that there are a couple of sistas on this board that had sisterlocs and unlocked them without cutting them off. :yep:

Was Whoopi Goldberg unlock for the movie Sister Act or was that a wig?

It was a wig. She also wore one for Ghost and any other movie where she isn't showing her locs. I would be very surprised if she doesn't grow old with locs.

NaturallyMo

That's not true at all. I had sisterlocks for 5 years and used to latch them myself. I was able to comb to comb them out with very little damage to my hair. It took me about 3 days straight, but I cut them pretty short before I started to comb them out. I have a few pics in my fotki.

sonycmyst

Hi there,
Last summer I unlocked my dreads after having them for 8 years, so it's definitely possible...but it takes A LOT of time... I worked on it straight for 4 days...by the end, all the nerves in my poor fingers were pinched and I couldn't touch anything without pricks of pain... but that's just me, and i'm crazy, and i tend to overdo things... haha.
yes, my hair was pretty thin in the end and i ended up shaving anyway which was the right choice for me. also, i didn't really take the best care of my dreads so i'm sure others can unlock with decent results if the dreads are healthy.

weaveadiva

wth is up with her eye makeup? not the bizness :down:

it amazes me that people still think dreads are permanent...there are thousands of these videos floating around the internet...

Kash

wth is up with her eye makeup? not the bizness :down:

it amazes me that people still think dreads are permanent...there are thousands of these videos floating around the internet...

i was trying to ignore it! i don't understand wearing clown makeup! :clown:

Averoigne

I'd think you'd lose a lot of hair because of all the shed hair that's caught up in the locs, no?
Correct. I combed through my 10 year old, armpit length dreads (cut from mid back length to make the process easier) back in 2004. I did not lose a lot of hair at all, save for the shedded hair that was already matted in the dreads. It took me two weeks. I used a fine toothed comb, water and Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal conditioner. The high silicone content in the Pantene made it very slippery and easy to do.

Geminigirl

I think she is more fascinated about the length of her hair, And that does not look like a weave.

And I seriously chuckled to myself when I paused the video(watching tv and surfing), and she had on that make up. I was like WOW she is dead serious. Her highlight is like...EXTRA white and...she likes...that. OK.