Wow, Powdered MSM really does make a difference!

Isis

How is powdered MSM different from breaking open a capsule and dissolving it in water? Is the powdered more concentrated?

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
How is powdered MSM different from breaking open a capsule and dissolving it in water? Is the powdered more concentrated?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most msm capsules contain fillers. Powdered msm normally don't contain fillers.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
ANaturalBrotha said:
what are fillers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fillers are added to many commercial products for bulking purposes i.e. it fills the capsules up.

Melaninme

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
Asha97,

Your albums are wonderful! Great inspiration...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

Isis

Thanks Allandra. I'll check into the powdered MSM. I know there are only capsules at my health store so I'm thinking about trying an animal feed store and see what their prices are for pure MSM.

Chichi

I have started breaking open my capsules today
. When I finish this batch, I will definitely order the powder.

Chichi

offthechainliz

why, why, why tee did you have to do this to me!

I'm currently 1 month post and when I washed my hair yesterday I didn't feel the usual resistance in the comb that I would have by now. I already know for a fact that I will last 8(weeks) 12 is the challenge
n-e-ways after trying 3 brands I finally thought I found the one

but know after my trimedica brand is finished in another month I'm going to have to try the powder msm. I have
no chioce.

I guess, at least I know if it doesn't work for me oo if it isn't any better I can go back to my beloved trimedica.

Chichi

OTCL,

Why not try the Trimedica MSM powder? If you do a google search you can find many places to buy it online.

Btw, I am currently using KALA Health MSM capsules that I am currently breaking open to use as powder. It is OptiMSM and I am getting good results with it. However, once I am finished this batch, I am leaning towards the Trimedica Powder since you have had such good results with it.

Chichi

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue with MSM powder vs. capsules and tablets is the purity. The powder is (usually) a more pure formulation. Manufacturers usually add binders and fillers when making tablets and capsules. So, even if you grind up the tablets or open up the capsules to use as a powder, you're still consuming the fillers and binders. Have you tested your capsulse to see if they are pure? If they are pure, then there's no reason to open them up and take the powder inside; you can take the capsules whole. To test your capsules, open it up, and pour the powder into a glass of water. The powder should dissolve in seconds. If it doesn't, your MSM isn't pure.

offthechainliz

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
OTCL,

Why not try the Trimedica MSM powder? If you do a google search you can find many places to buy it online.

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi, great idea!

lord knows I love trimedica and my new found waves

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue with MSM powder vs. capsules and tablets is the purity. The powder is (usually) a more pure formulation. Manufacturers usually add binders and fillers when making tablets and capsules. So, even if you grind up the tablets or open up the capsules to use as a powder, you're still consuming the fillers and binders. Have you tested your capsulse to see if they are pure? If they are pure, then there's no reason to open them up and take the powder inside; you can take the capsules whole. To test your capsules, open it up, and pour the powder into a glass of water. The powder should dissolve in seconds. If it doesn't, your MSM isn't pure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good to know. My MSM does dissolve in seconds in water. It says on the label that it is 99.9% pure OptiMSM.

Chichi

Melaninme

Okay, I couldn't resist. I purchased MSM powder 1000 mg from the Vitamin Shoppe today. The serving size is 1/4 teaspoon; servings per container equivalent to 454. The directions state to take 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon daily and since I've aleady been taking my GNC pills @1500mg ( it's only been a week though), I am going to take the 1/2 teaspoon dosage, which will give me 2000mg a day. I'm really on a mission to obtain as much hair as I can this year and I'm going to need all the help I can get. LOL!!!

Irresistible

Re: Wow, Powdered MSM really does make a differenc

MSM is a powefull detox supplement and can make you very sick with detox symptoms...i know cause it did it to me...i would suggest anyone trying it for the first time , start of slow with little amounts.

Melaninme

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
MSM is a powefull detox supplement and can make you very sick with detox symptoms...i know cause it did it to me...i would suggest anyone trying it for the first time , start of slow with little amounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much exactly is a little amount(s)?

nebula24

[ QUOTE ]
Asha97 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How much exactly is a little amount(s)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fine to start out taking from 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp daily. I increased my intake of MSM over a period of several months from 1/4 tsp per day to 1 tsp. twice a day. As Asha97 said it's a powerful detox supplement - so drink at least 8 glasses of water a day!!!!

T

Tee

Irresistable, how did MSM make you sick? What symptoms did you have? TIA!

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
Irresistable, how did MSM make you sick? What symptoms did you have? TIA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Detox can be a very miserable experience. its can bring on effects of old medicines that you took while detoxing yours system of those meds you feel it again....i really dont know how to put into words what i felt, but it was bad....like the flu, mixed with anxiety , mixed with an upset stomach, that while my bowels moved (the detoxing) made me feel like i was going to pass out. , sorry to get graphic, but i was very sick and its nothing to play with...but hey, the fact that it did that means it really does what it says its going to do...but if you have even the slightest bug, toxins , old meds, mercury etc. or whatever in your system, you are gonna feel that detox. i havent touched MSM since, although i think it would be good to detox...its too miserable to deal with, i couldnt take it.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I have been on MSM for a while. I love what is does for my hair. I did my research before I took it and even spoke with my internist before taking. She sugested taking MSM a half hour before meals or with meals to help eliminate upset stomach. She recommended taking vitamin c with MSM which would ease the detox "feeling". She warned that vitamin c makes you go to the bathroom. She suggested taking vitamin e instead to keep me from running to the bathroom all the time. She told me that MSM also helps with allergies, asthma and diabetes. As eveyone else has already said drink lots and lots of water, especially if you feel a headache coming on. Good luck

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

Is anyone on PP powdered MSM? I'm considering buying it, but haven't seen it mentioned on this thread.

Nyambura

surfer girl

Hi Cat Eyed Cutie ~

I use Puritan's Pride and I have off and on for the past 2 1/2 years. I have no complaints.

lthomas1

Hair Power!

I have been using the Trimedica and my hair is responding extremely well. The waves that I am getting are so nice that it almost makes me want to transition.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I was curious...is it possible to open the capsules, and put the powder in a liquid? Just wondering. Nyambura... what have your results been on PP msm powder? Are you seeing the growth everyone else is raving about?

swayback23

I find it hard to believe that the additional rice flour filler, and the gelatin of the capsule itself will hinder the success of the supplement, ans long as you are taking a quality product.