Will hair get thicker?.. is that possible or just an illusion

la flaca

I want to add thickness to my hair, it looks full but I know it's not as it was before, I've been doing my hair myself for the last 10 years and I know I haven't been as genttle as I should. I got in this forum becasue my hair is thinning badly (my ponytails don't lie) and I want it thicker hair even over lenght.

Please, share your experiences with me...Did you hair got thicker or it just looks thicker? Is this possible, Can I make my hair thicker or just be glad with what I have now:perplexed

Last edited:
I'm actually trying to thicken up my hair.

I've witnessed with my own eyes to see my coworker hair thicken up in a year...so I have to say yes, it's possible!

For me, thickness has more to do with processing. If I'm overprocessed, it looks like I have 2 strands of hair, totally see through, but when I'm properly processed it looks thick, and people refer to my hair as being thick. My hair isn't all that dense, even when I was natural, so everything I do to make it thicker just creates an illusion.

Your hair looks really full to me. Very pretty!! It could be that your hair is thinning out due to relaxing. Over time some peoples hair starts to thin out due to relaxing. I was going to suggest stretching, but I see that you are already doing that. Maybe some good conditioning treatments and protein treatments would help.

I am glad you started this thread because I wanted to put this out there, but did not want to start a thread about it. My hair is so much thicker than it was just a week ago. It is very strange and I don't know to research this, but I have started working out and I sweat like a pig and I mean I sweeeaaaat and just in one week, my hair is so much thicker and lusher... It is just the strangest thing. It might be the salt swelling up the strands, I don't know. I do CO wash nightly. I was actually going to go on a personal challenge to thicken up my hair consisting of making sure I put some form of castor (regular, black or sulfated) oil on the length of my hair on a nightly basis, but I had not started yet. If anyone has an explanation, I sure would be interested in hearing it because I don't understand it although I do like it.

Last edited:
I started working out two week ago and I notice the thickness my hair has gained over the last few weeks. I've also been in kinky twists for the last month and moisturize twice a day with braid spray and my homemade concoctions and oil with vatika. Not sure what is making it thicker, but I like it. :grin:

To the OP: Your hair is very pretty and thick to me...

la flaca said:
I want to add thickness to my hair, it looks full but I know it's not as it was before, I've been doing my hair myself for the last 10 years and I know I haven't been as genttle as I should. I got in this forum becasue my hair is thinning badly (my ponytails don't lie) and I want it thicker hair even over lenght.

Please, share your experiences with me...Did you hair got thicker or it just looks thicker? Is this possible, Can I make my hair thicker or just be glad with what I have now:perplexed

Girl,
You have got one of the thickest relaxed heads of hair i have ever seen, if you are looking to become thicker, you may have to consider going natural?

Personally, i think your hair is gorgeous

I think it's possible for hair to get thicker. I agree with the poster who said that processing makes a difference. Stretching will definitely help.

Amla oil and castor oil also have reputations for thickening up hair. Have you considered taking biotin? It thickened my hair BIG time a couple of years ago. Be careful with it because it causes breakouts in some people, but it certainly make hair grow faster and thicker from my experience.

HTH
{DI}

Divine Inspiration said:
I think it's possible for hair to get thicker. I agree with the poster who said that processing makes a difference. Stretching will definitely help.

Amla oil and castor oil also have reputations for thickening up hair. Have you considered taking biotin? It thickened my hair BIG time a couple of years ago. Be careful with it because it causes breakouts in some people, but it certainly make hair grow faster and thicker from my experience.

HTH
{DI}

Divine,

What biotin brand do you take and the amount?

thanks!
Tsipy

Divine Inspiration said:

HTH
{DI}

Where can I get amla oil?

Last edited:
tsiporah said:
Divine,

What biotin brand do you take and the amount?

thanks!
Tsipy

I don't take biotin anymore, but when I did, I took the Vitamin Shoppe brand. (5mg)

la flaca said:
Where can I get amla oil?

You can purchase it at fromnaturewithlove.com or from other Indian sites like indousplaza.com. In DLewis' thread on the power of amla oil, there's a link with a list of vendors.

I purchase mine from a local Indian retailer, but it can definitely be purchased online.

Divine Inspiration said:
I don't take biotin anymore, but when I did, I took the Vitamin Shoppe brand. (5mg)

You can purchase it at fromnaturewithlove.com or from other Indian sites like indousplaza.com. In DLewis' thread on the power of amla oil, there's a link with a list of vendors.

I purchase mine from a local Indian retailer, but it can definitely be purchased online.

Be careful when/if ordering from indousplaza or indiaplaza...myself and another poster was ripped off.

My hair started thinning badly when I was relaxed, I personally had to grow out my relaxer to see my hair thicken up. But everyone is diff.

imstush said:
Be careful when/if ordering from indousplaza or indiaplaza...myself and another poster was ripped off.

My hair started thinning badly when I was relaxed, I personally had to grow out my relaxer to see my hair thicken up. But everyone is diff.

Thanks for the heads up. I never had any problems with them when I used to order Himani powder, but I'll keep this in mind.

Great Thread !! Im in the fine hair family and am always looking for way to get thicker hair.....I get my alma oil from a indian grocery..realy cheap and it help my hair to thicker..... I was also wondering about how to get thicker hair ladies does cassia make ur hair thicker????

Last edited:
Drinking just 2 ounces of carrot juice daily will thicken the hair. There is a long, ongoing Carrot Juice Challenge here about that.

Henna automatically thickens the hair by binding to the keratin in each strand.

One of the ladies at Longhaircommunity.com started a thread recently on eating just 10 soy beans each morning after soaking them overnight in a glass of water. She said in 2-3 months she had to stop because her hair became too thick! :)

Last edited:
Isis said:
Drinking just 2 ounces of carrot juice daily will thicken the hair. There is a long Carrot Juice Challenge here about that.

One of the ladies at LHC started a thread recently on eating just 10 soy beans each morning after soaking them overnight in a glass of water. She said in 2-3 months she had to stop because her hair became too thick!

Cool, ok. I have no Idea how to do the Henna thing:perplexed and about the 10 soy beans: Who tried? I need pictures:lol:

I am still wating from some hair sister to explain me the Henna 101 or for dummies:D

Isis said:
Drinking just 2 ounces of carrot juice daily will thicken the hair. There is a long Carrot Juice Challenge here about that.

One of the ladies at LHC started a thread recently on eating just 10 soy beans each morning after soaking them overnight in a glass of water. She said in 2-3 months she had to stop because her hair became too thick!

Henna: I want to try it but I need a Henna 101 the simplest the better and for the 10 soy beans...Who tried this? I need the pictures:D

Hey La Flaca!

You have gorgeous hair BTW. I was able to thicken up my hair by having it texturized instead of relaxed straight, taking biotin, reducing heat, & of late...henna! It has really increased the thickness of my strands, even when my hair is straight.

la flaca said:

Do ya'll henna? check out this thread about henna. this is how i started researching. i use it to thicken/condition my hair.....but your hair is super thick to me, just gorgeous:p

sometimes i wonder if it's worth having long/fine hair. what do you guy's think? i lost a lot of my hair on the left side due to a botched home relax. i trimmed about 2 inches off to even it up, but one side is full, the other somewhat limp:mad: i'm trying to be patient and keep at this gowing thing, but i truly don't think i will ever get a decent amount off thickness.

mommatide said:
Do ya'll henna? check out this thread about henna. this is how i started researching. i use it to thicken/condition my hair.....but your hair is super thick to me, just gorgeous:p

sometimes i wonder if it's worth having long/fine hair. what do you guy's think? i lost a lot of my hair on the left side due to a botched home relax. i trimmed about 2 inches off to even it up, but one side is full, the other somewhat limp:mad: i'm trying to be patient and keep at this gowing thing, but i truly don't think i will ever get a decent amount off thickness.

Well, let's keep trying untill we get the fullness we are looking for. How do you prepair the Henna mix?

mommatide said:

So, How is Henna helping your hair?

Cosigning...your hair is beautiful:) ...u may be suffering from hair anorexia:lol: ....it looks "rich"..keep up the good work;)
Henrietta said:
Girl,
You have got one of the thickest relaxed heads of hair i have ever seen, if you are looking to become thicker, you may have to consider going natural?

Personally, i think your hair is gorgeous

patiencevirtue said:
Cosigning...your hair is beautiful:) ...u may be suffering from hair anorexia:lol: ....it looks "rich"..keep up the good work;)

:lol: that was funny, now the thing is that I'm missing almost half of the hair I used to have. I know it doesn't look bad but I feel that if I don't do something now it could get worst every year, after all I am not getting any younger:perplexed

What can I add to my regimen? Give me something...what kind products will thicken up my hair?

Last edited:
I've been struggling with this as well. I'm on a 4 month stretch and will not relax for another couple of weeks or so. I'm scared because right now my hair looks a lot thicker. I'm a fine-haired sister. I mean, my hair is VERY fine and soft, thin looking sometimes. However, since I've changed my regimen, incorporating protein treatments, castor oil, biotin, etc., my hair looks thicker. I've even had several people at work tell me this over the past two days. Is it an illusion, or is my hair indeed getting thicker? Once I finally relax, I am wondering if my hair will go back to looking fine and thin? It's a dilemma. Continue on with your regimen and taking care of yourself. In my humble opinion, your hair is VERY thick and looks absolutely GOREGEOUS!!! In fact, you are one of my hair inspirations. Doesn't look like there's anything to worry about.

Good luck and God bless!

Serenity_Peace said:
I've been struggling with this as well. I'm on a 4 month stretch and will not relax for another couple of weeks or so. I'm scared because right now my hair looks a lot thicker. I'm a fine-haired sister. I mean, my hair is VERY fine and soft, thin looking sometimes. However, since I've changed my regimen, incorporating protein treatments, castor oil, biotin, etc., my hair looks thicker. I've even had several people at work tell me this over the past two days. Is it an illusion, or is my hair indeed getting thicker? Once I finally relax, I am wondering if my hair will go back to looking fine and thin? It's a dilemma. Continue on with your regimen and taking care of yourself. In my humble opinion, your hair is VERY thick and looks absolutely GOREGEOUS!!! In fact, you are one of my hair inspirations. Doesn't look like there's anything to worry about.

Good luck and God bless!

thanks, I will stop then, but I noticed you're taking MSM, could you tell what does it do to the hair? where can I get it? I know...I am a junky:lol:

I honestly think your hair is absolutely beautiful, and would love to know your weight maintenance secrets as well. For now, here's what I think MSM is doing for me:

Since I workout a lot and run, my knees haven't been in the best of shape. The MSM has improved this for me and supplies the relief. For the hair, the MSM I use is called CARLSON MSM with Sulfur. I actually purchased mine from a local health food store. Looks like the Vitamin Shoppe also carries this particular brand. Here's more information:

http://www.become.com/shop?q=carlso...oo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_term=carlson+sulfur+msm

http://www.msm-supplement.com/

For the hair, the MSM contains Sulfur which acts as a growth stimulant. As I lurked on these forums, many were saying that they were actually experiencing a change in the hair texture. MSM was making the new growth looser and were able to stretch relaxers longer as a result. See here on how sulfer promotes hair growth:

http://hairloss.about.com/od/preventinghairloss/a/Sulphur.htm
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/art...ements_a-z/msm/showarticle.aspx?articleid=121

I have successfully stretched my relaxer now for nearly 4 months with no breakage and very little shedding. This MUST be due to the MSM. It was the only thing that I added to my hair regimen.

Oh, and did I mention my nails? My nails grow twice the rate. The only nuisances are that people accuse me of having fake nails, and the fact that I have to get my nails done every two week rather than once a month. I think the combination of biotin and MSM must be at work here. The basic GNC biotin is what I use.

As for my Runner's Knee, the MSM is improving the pain and keeping inflammation down. My mother uses this for her arthritis and is doing well. We both run a lot.

With MSM, you must take Vitamin C and drink plenty of water. Some people report headaches, crazy dreams, and breakouts. I am convinced that most of this is because they weren't drinking enough water. These side effects disappeared after a few days.

Overall, I've gotten compliments on my hair. Though I wear it up 99% of the time, when I finally did wear it down for the last two days, compliments came from everywhere, including my boss, who told me that my hair looked thick and shiny.

Adding Henna treatments have worked tremendously. Everything you need to know is on the site Henna for Hair, www.hennaforhair.com. And thanks to the lovely ladies here, you can do a search on "henna." The two main threads are "who henna's" and "is henna really worth it." I can say that I henna and YES, henna is so freakin' awesome and it's well worth it!!!!!

GOD luck! ;)

mommatide said:

A year ago, I would have thought the same thing. Now just for you ;) , I am posting this pic, that I was too embarassed to post even on my fotki.:perplexed

The main thing that thickened my hair was stretching+texlaxing and avoiding too much direct heat. The hair always GREW in sort of thick, but once I got my hands on it (relaxing bone straight and blowdrying and flat ironing it to death) it would get weak and thin.

This pic was taken before I started doing low heat/stretching/texlaxing/bunning/baggying. It was taken about this time last year. As you can tell my right side was very weak from wrapping also.:( My end result is in my siggy. I darn near gained two heads.:eek:

DCFC0015.jpg

Serenity_Peace said:
I honestly think your hair is absolutely beautiful, and would love to know your weight maintenance secrets as well. For now, here's what I think MSM is doing for me:

Since I workout a lot and run, my knees haven't been in the best of shape. The MSM has improved this for me and supplies the relief. For the hair, the MSM I use is called CARLSON MSM with Sulfur. I actually purchased mine from a local health food store. Looks like the Vitamin Shoppe also carries this particular brand. Here's more information:

http://www.become.com/shop?q=carlson+sulfur+msm&utm_campaign=become&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_term=carlson+sulfur+msm

http://www.msm-supplement.com/

For the hair, the MSM contains Sulfur which acts as a growth stimulant. As I lurked on these forums, many were saying that they were actually experiencing a change in the hair texture. MSM was making the new growth looser and were able to stretch relaxers longer as a result. See here on how sulfer promotes hair growth:

http://hairloss.about.com/od/preventinghairloss/a/Sulphur.htm
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/article_index/vitamins_supplements_a-z/msm/showarticle.aspx?articleid=121

I have successfully stretched my relaxer now for nearly 4 months with no breakage and very little shedding. This MUST be due to the MSM. It was the only thing that I added to my hair regimen.

Oh, and did I mention my nails? My nails grow twice the rate. The only nuisances are that people accuse me of having fake nails, and the fact that I have to get my nails done every two week rather than once a month. I think the combination of biotin and MSM must be at work here. The basic GNC biotin is what I use.

As for my Runner's Knee, the MSM is improving the pain and keeping inflammation down. My mother uses this for her arthritis and is doing well. We both run a lot.

With MSM, you must take Vitamin C and drink plenty of water. Some people report headaches, crazy dreams, and breakouts. I am convinced that most of this is because they weren't drinking enough water. These side effects disappeared after a few days.

Overall, I've gotten compliments on my hair. Though I wear it up 99% of the time, when I finally did wear it down for the last two days, compliments came from everywhere, including my boss, who told me that my hair looked thick and shiny.

Adding Henna treatments have worked tremendously. Everything you need to know is on the site Henna for Hair, www.hennaforhair.com. And thanks to the lovely ladies here, you can do a search on "henna." The two main threads are "who henna's" and "is henna really worth it." I can say that I henna and YES, henna is so freakin' awesome and it's well worth it!!!!!

GOD luck! ;)

Wao!!!, thanks for all the information, I guess I will give it a try, but it's there a kind of MNS that I could add to the hair product or something instead of taking it by mouth, I am taking so many things right now (not for the hair) that I am affraid to add more.
Other thing, Henna will add only color and shine to the hair ? a red color?:perplexed

LocksOfLuV said:
A year ago, I would have thought the same thing. Now just for you ;) , I am posting this pic, that I was too embarassed to post even on my fotki.:perplexed

The main thing that thickened my hair was stretching+texlaxing and avoiding too much direct heat. The hair always GREW in sort of thick, but once I got my hands on it (relaxing bone straight and blowdrying and flat ironing it to death) it would get weak and thin.

This pic was taken before I started doing low heat/stretching/texlaxing/bunning/baggying. It was taken about this time last year. As you can tell my right side was very weak from wrapping also.:( My end result is in my siggy. I darn near gained two heads.:eek:

I can see the difference in the pics, thanks for sharing it with me:)

Well, I will keep streaching my relaxers and Do you think that bagging thicken up your ends?

Back