Thicker hair or it just looks thicker?

la flaca

I haven't relaxed my hair since august 2006 because my hair is getting to thin but now is breaking very badly. I would like to know if what I want to achive is possible or it's just an ilussion.

I was wondering if the hair really gets thicker or if it only feels/looks thicker. Maybe, that's why I get discouraged because I have the wrong expectations.

Your input wil be very helpfull:)

Isis

Welcome La flaca! :)

Please share what your intention is exactly for your hair and your current hair regimen so we can better help you.

Are you attempting to get thick hair only? Healthier hair? Are you transitioning or stretching your relaxer?

la flaca

Isis said:
Welcome La flaca! :)

Please share what your intention is exactly for your hair and your current hair regimen so we can better help you.

Are you attempting to get thick hair only? Healthier hair? Are you transitioning or stretching your relaxer?

I want thicker and healthier hair, lenght is not very important to me.

I have nice hair but is just getting thinner, so I decided to stop relaxing but I think I am going to do it because it's hard to wait for my hair to get natural (it's long now)

This is what I've always use to do: my hair is no oily or dry
I washed, conditioned, roller set every 7 to 10 day and relax like every 3 to 4 months.

When I decided to stop relaxing I found this forum and started washing my hair like every 5 days.

Things I do now: (Since Dicember 2006)
Pree poo: I make a kind of hot oil, my own mix (castor, rosmery, carrot, cinnamon, almond) using a cap
I clarify once a month and did Nexxus Emergency last time I washed
I deep condition every time I wash my hair
I always roller set - I use infumsion 23 hard drier for 45 minutes (no hot tools at all)
I use a little bit of Carol's Daughter hair balm or Lisa's Elixir (when my hair feels a little dry)

The only thing I have noticed with this change is that my hair is growing faster but not stronger:confused:

Thanks for your help!

ps: I have a satin pillow also

Last edited:

Isis

la flaca said:
I want thicker and healthier hair, lenght is not very important to me.

I have nice hair but is just getting thinner, so I decided to stop relaxing but I think I am going to do it because it's hard to wait for my hair to get natural (it's long now)

This is what I've always use to do: my hair is no oily or dry
I washed, conditioned, roller set every 7 to 10 day and relax like every 3 to 4 months.

When I decided to stop relaxing I found this forum and started washing my hair like every 5 days.

Things I do now: (Since Dicember 2006)
Pree poo: I make a kind of hot oil, my own mix (castor, rosmery, carrot, cinnamon, almond) using a cap
I clarify once a month and did Nexxus Emergency last time I washed
I deep condition every time I wash my hair
I always roller set - I use infumsion 23
I use a little bit of Carol's Daughter hair balm or Lisa's Elixir (when my hair feels a little dry)

The only thing I have noticed with this change is that my hair is growing faster but not stornger:confused:

Thanks for your help!

ps: I have a satin pillow also
Your regimen looks pretty good. What about heat? Are you using direct heat and if so, how are you using it?

My hair became noticeably thicker and healthier when I stopped using heat back in 2003. Didn't take long either. I later learned from this forum that I was using it incorrectly (no heat protectants) but I still choose not to use it. Some of the ladies here use indirect heat (bonnet or hard dryers) and have attained thicker, healthier and longer hair. :)

la flaca

Since I started relaxing I've always roller set & used hard drier for 45 minutes, no hot tools, spray or gels at all

ashiah

It's hard to check progress while stretching because the hair doesn't look like it's supposed to. It usually looks thinner and shorter than it's supposed to look. I say go on and relax if the breakage is out of control. If you're transitioning there's tons of good advice in the transitioner's support thread.

lonei

ashiah said:
It's hard to check progress while stretching because the hair doesn't look like it's supposed to. It usually looks thinner and shorter than it's supposed to look. I say go on and relax if the breakage is out of control. If you're transitioning there's tons of good advice in the transitioner's support thread.

I agree, you wont be able to tell until its relaxed again, but make sure you have curbed the breakage first....

lshevonne

I'm not one of the pros but it may be breaking due to the fact that you haven't relaxed since Aug. The weakest part is where both textures meet. I know when I tried to stretch my touchup in the past it was very hard on me and my hair. I didn't know how to take care of both textures. Just last night I decided to texlax. I know I can't handle my natural hair so I figure this is the next best thing. If you do relax or texlax choose your relaxer carefully. I used Gentle Treatment but it seem to work really fast yesterday. Like you I'll have to see how my hair likes this new transition.

ayoung

i agree---you'll be able to evaluate ur hair much better when u relax.

until u relax and would do weekly protein treatments (not hard like Emergency), keep ur hair really moisturized, and low manipulation.

so have you make the decision to relax--or are u still thinking about it?

trulyurangel82

I agree with the ladies above me. My hair is very underprocessed and it looks more broken off inthe back but I have no idea if its breakage because of the two different textures. I have major shrinkage.

Im sure ill find out once I get it corrected. Hopefully its not as bad as I think.

Just make sure you moisturize your new growth and underprocessed parts daily. Keep it moist. Try not to comb it out too much.

Last edited:

la flaca

ayoung1981 said:
i agree---you'll be able to evaluate ur hair much better when u relax.

until u relax and would do weekly protein treatments (not hard like Emergency), keep ur hair really moisturized, and low manipulation.

so have you make the decision to relax--or are u still thinking about it?

I am not sure yet, I want to relax but also want my curls :confused: :eek: :perplexed :ohwell: