Why does it seem that I am the only one w/ an allergic reaction to BT?

adf23

Ugh. I am so irritated. I was loving BT, and I still do. My scalp has become a scaly, itchy, weeping mess since about a month after starting BT. WHY?????? I was getting good growth from BT. I am so irritated, with myself. I guess my skin/scalp is just overly sensitive.

Naturallady has an excellent product so this thread is not intended to bash BT. I am moreso venting. I admit that I am jealous of the gals on here that are using BT like no tomorrow, with no problems whatsoever. I know its the sulfur, not BT specifically.

Has anyone else has such side effects, yet able to resume use?? I don't want to stop using BT- I really like the results I have gotten so far. However, my scalp is looking/feeling like I have a case of eczema. I have't seen anyone else with this kind of issue. Maybe its something I am using in combo w/ BT that would cause this kind of reaction?

LocksOfLuV

Probably the sulfur. A lot of ladies' skin don't seem to enjoy sulfur. Maybe you can take sulfur internally such as MSM.

Dommo

I've also had to stop using BT because everytime I tried it I would have to wash my hair because my scalp would itch out of control and I dont have dry scalp or anything...I didnt know at first what it was until I stopped using it and my scalp felt normal

Nonie

Wildchild453 said:
It b/c no one else wants to talk about it

:lol:

Adf23, how about trying the formerly raved about products like Surge
I think someone on this forum once listed its ingredients as:

BIOTIN, KERATIN PROTEIN, ALOE VERA, MUCCOPOLYSACCHARIDES, WATER, CETRIMONIUM CHIORIDE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, VEGAETABLE PROTEIN, POLYQUATEMIUM-7, FRANGANCE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM PCA

Since there's no sulphur you mightn't have the weeping you're having. But I'll warn you, a few people got huge scales of dandruff from using Surge. Seems like it'll have to be a trial and error thing. CVS and BSS stock Surge Revitalizer Plus 14 so perhaps you could give that a try.

adf23

Thanks to all that replied. I was like, ok- why am I the only one looking crazy on BT? I did read the black neck threads- which oddly enough, I never got.

I have used Surge in the past and i like it. Maybe I'll go back to that :mad:

metro_qt

ADF, i got the same thing when i used MTG, black neck, then it opened up and started weeping and stuff, and the front of my chest started cracking etc... It looked like a horrible case of eczema developing on my whole upper half-anywhere the MTG touched.
So i know what you mean. I ended up giving away the bottle to my friend.

Not everyone can use every product, unfortunately.
Let me know how the surge works on you, i may want to try that myself...

Amour

adf23 said:
Ugh. I am so irritated. I was loving BT, and I still do. My scalp has become a scaly, itchy, weeping mess since about a month after starting BT. WHY?????? I was getting good growth from BT. I am so irritated, with myself. I guess my skin/scalp is just overly sensitive.

Naturallady has an excellent product so this thread is not intended to bash BT. I am moreso venting. I admit that I am jealous of the gals on here that are using BT like no tomorrow, with no problems whatsoever. I know its the sulfur, not BT specifically.

Has anyone else has such side effects, yet able to resume use?? I don't want to stop using BT- I really like the results I have gotten so far. However, my scalp is looking/feeling like I have a case of eczema. I have't seen anyone else with this kind of issue. Maybe its something I am using in combo w/ BT that would cause this kind of reaction?

aww what a shame.. how often was you using it? do you think you would be ok if you reduced the amount of times you used it in a week?

RosesBlack

Don't feel bad I have discovered I can't use anything with sulfur in it either. My skin just does not like it at all.

princessdi

I'm having the same problem--my scalp is very dry and itchy and also develops small sores that are painful. I've seen a lot of posting lately regarding small bumps and/or sores on the scalp that are painful. I really think it's due to BT or MTG (sulfur)--not that they are bad products because they aren't. They work really well. It's just that some people (like myself) just can't use them, but I really wished I could.

WGO and Surge work well for me (no scalp irritations).

TCatt86

It's probably the sulfur, I'm allergic to it and can't take it in any form, so I haven't even tried BT as much as I would love to grow my hair faster during my transitioning:(

soslychic

I am SO glad I found this thread because I was starting to think I was all alone. I just started using B.T. a few days ago and I was so excited because of the raves. Well Sunday night my scalp started itching....Then ALL of me started itching.....itching like CRAZY! ALL OVER MY BODY! It just kept spreading. I was at the movies and I finally got up. I couldn't take it anymore, I went to the bathroom and glanced at my reflection and noticed I looked a little funny but shrugged it off (yall know those theatre bathroom lights aren't flattering :D ) Well after a few minutes I really LOOKED at my face and my eyelids were very swollen! Well I went hope and doped up on benadryl but it kept getting worse. I got no sleep that night and by the next day I have raised rashes, bumps, and welts ALL OVER, I mean ALL OVER my body. I missed 2 days of work and now, even though it's Thursday and the itching has majorly calmed (I stopped using B.T. obviously) I still get random breakouts and itchies and anything I scratch mildly INFLAMES.

Granted, one could argue that it could have been something else besides the B.T. I totally agree and B.T. was not my first thought. But after realizing I ate nothing new (I hadn't eaten for 5 hours before this started), used no new detergent/soap/lotion/medication nothing, I came to this conclusion. I even did a little test with it on my wrist and after 1 hour, it was INFLAMED! I am very sad. :( I so wanted the results of the other ladies and I'm so excited for you all and glad that it works for the majority. Keep up with it because it seems to really be a great product, just, as has been mentioned before, not for all. :)

Last edited:

glamazon386

That's why I never tried it. I probably would have been the only other person with an allergic reaction to it. That's why I rarely take chances with new products. Are you allergic to sulphur?

soslychic

That's why I never tried it. I probably would have been the only other person with an allergic reaction to it. That's why I rarely take chances with new products. Are you allergic to sulphur?

I'm not sure if you're talking 2 me or the original poster :) but as far as I knew, I was not allergic to sulfur but this leads me to believe that perhaps I am. I did take MSM for awhile with no adverse side effects besides a little face acne (which I thought was the normal detox process) but is the type of sulfur used to ingest different than what is used in topical products?