Allergic to Coconut Oil?

grnidmonster

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:Is anyone else allergic to coconut oil? I have tried it twice recently and I have had a scalp reaction each time. I bought cocoraj brand, 100%, food quality coconut oil from the middle eastern store. When I used it only in my henna it was fine but, when I recently began using it on my hair and scalp, it has become red and itchy. I've tried it twice since I noticed this pattern and same thing. I love the oil but I'm afraid that the inflamation responce will cause me to loose hair. Should I try coco cream or just forget it and move on to another oil?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Traycee

No not the Coconut oil......I love that stuff...Hahahahhahah...Big Hugs...I have ran into several women that are allergic.....I would stay away from it..

Try avocado oil or macadamia oil....

grnidmonster

Thanks Traycee,
I know it's very sad. I have never heard anyone on this board mentioning being allergic so I thought it was weird but, if you've heard of it before I assume it may be true and I need to move on. I'll give avocado a shot.

mistee11

Coconut oil? I think I would cry if i couldn't use it. I think I'm allergic to shea butter. I have tree nut allergies and I get all itchy and swollen when I use it. I love shea butter and I'm heartbroken that this is happening to me. I feel your pain! :nono:

grnidmonster

What abt experimenting with different
brands?
I think you are right. I was examining the bottle closer and I noticed that it was manf. in 2006 and it said it is good until 15 months from the date of manf. The indian store sold me old oil. perhaps that is why my scalp hates it. I have used it befor from a different bottle no problem and BT has coconut oil in it, right? I was able to use that and my scalp actually loved it.

Yes I am ! Im allergic to tree nuts in general and i alway get the itchies when i eat coconut.
I hope this is not the case. I have never had problems with nut of any kind before. I'm going to give an brand new-in date bottle a shot before I give up. On the bright side, this experience has forced me to try castor oil and I love it.

Coconut oil? I think I would cry if i couldn't use it. I think I'm allergic to shea butter. I have tree nut allergies and I get all itchy and swollen when I use it. I love shea butter and I'm heartbroken that this is happening to me. I feel your pain! :nono:
It is a big bummer because I so want to use it. I am trying to go natural with all of my products and I have read all the great results with it on the board. I hope it works out.