Why does Aloe Vera Gel react differently on hair than Aloe Vera Juice?

Ogoma

My hair loves aloe vera juice. If a product has aloe vera juice amongst the first three ingredients, the product will work perfectly for my hair. The opposite happens with aloe vera gel. Products with aloe vera gel only work for me if I am rinsing them out. Anytime I leave a product with aloe vera gel in my hair, it gets really dry and hard. I know this is due to a combination of the protein-like attributes of aloe vera gel and my low-porosity and coarse hair, but it seems this protein-like attribute only seems to affect me when I use the gel form not the juice form.

I had always assumed the gel and juice were the exact same extract in different forms, but I read somewhere the juice is extracted from a different part of the plant than the gel. I was wondering if anyone had more information on the difference in the two and/or how this difference impacts how it reacts to protein-sensitive hair.

Guitarhero

You don't get gel from the aloe, you get juice, so there is no different place to extract anything else than juice - except for the base, there is a golden natural oil (when you take out the whole leaf from the base of the plant). Gel contains additives like carbomer and whatnot to make it very viscous. That's probably where the problem is coming from. Juice is natural.

Ogoma

You don't get gel from the aloe, you get juice, so there is no different place to extract anything else than juice - except for the base, there is a golden natural oil (when you take out the whole leaf from the base of the plant). Gel contains additives like carbomer and whatnot to make it very viscous. That's probably where the problem is coming from. Juice is natural.

Thanks for your reply.

I found this information online:

-'Aloe Vera juices are made from the bitter part of the leaf known as Aloe Latex. There is very little to suggest that this part of the leaf carries any health benefits but it can be highly laxative.

Aloe Vera Gels are made from the inner 'gel' of the leaf which seems to be the most beneficial part of the plant.' [http://thealoeverasite.com/aloe-ver...etween-aloe-vera-gel-and-aloe-vera-juice.php]

- 'Both inner fillet aloe vera gel and aloe vera whole leaf juice are different even though they're from the same plant.' [http://www.infobarrel.com/Aloe_Vera_Whole_Leaf_Juice_vs_Inner_Fillet__Gel#ixzz1mgz071jb]

This is so confusing.

faithVA

I don't have an answer for you. I have heard others mention the same thing you have. I have only used the gel so I don't have a comparison of my own to share.

I have seen Inner leaf on the labels but didn't know what that meant. Guess I really didn't pay attention.

Maybe I will give AVJ a try to see if I like it better.

allmundjoi

I can only add that the gel works wonders on my hair (I use it in a modified kimmay leave in) and the juice dries my hair out like straw.

Thanks for the article links.

My Friend

This is why itch! IBDamn

Thanks for your reply.

I found this information online:

-'Aloe Vera juices are made from the bitter part of the leaf known as Aloe Latex. There is very little to suggest that this part of the leaf carries any health benefits but it can be highly laxative.

Aloe Vera Gels are made from the inner 'gel' of the leaf which seems to be the most beneficial part of the plant.' [http://thealoeverasite.com/aloe-ver...etween-aloe-vera-gel-and-aloe-vera-juice.php]

- 'Both inner fillet aloe vera gel and aloe vera whole leaf juice are different even though they're from the same plant.' [http://www.infobarrel.com/Aloe_Vera_Whole_Leaf_Juice_vs_Inner_Fillet__Gel#ixzz1mgz071jb]

This is so confusing.

Ann0804

I am protein sensitive and I use both the gel and the juice and they both work the same for me (very moisturized/detangled hair). I had no ideal that they were not basically the same product. I do like the gel better- it's thick and not runny.

Ogoma

I guess we have some more research to do! Perhaps I should email JC from the Natural Haven blog and see if she has some insights.

ajoke

I also feel like its because of additives in the gel. You can rarely find true 100% gel, whereas the aloe Vera juice I get is pure and without additives. It's actually meant for internal use. It would be interesting if JC had a different perspective Ogoma.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I've tried the AVJ leave in and it works well once, then all Hades breaks loose. :nono: I just can't do it as a leave-in. I get breakage galore.

faithVA

I also feel like its because of additives in the gel. You can rarely find true 100% gel, whereas the aloe Vera juice I get is pure and without additives. It's actually meant for internal use. It would be interesting if JC had a different perspective @Ogoma.

I am not aware that the gel you get from health food stores have additives in it. I will check my bottle this morning and let you guys know. The Aloe Vera Gel from the health food stores is meant for internal use as well. This is not the same gel as you might buy at Walmart that says its 100% gel with Aloe Vera.

ladysaraii

I am not aware that the gel you get from health food stores have additives in it. I will check my bottle this morning and let you guys know. The Aloe Vera Gel from the health food stores is meant for internal use as well. This is not the same gel as you might buy at Walmart that says its 100% gel with Aloe Vera.

Exactly. the gel I get from the Vitamin shoppe and GNC is meant for internal use as well.

It's all AVG w/ a preservative.

That walmart stuff is the non food grade kind

But the gel acts like a gel, so its going to harden your hair. I use it as a gel to smooth down my hair

faithVA

Ok - the Aloe Vera Gel has the following ingredients
Carrageenan (thickening agent), Citric Acid (pH Stabalizer), Potassium Sorbate (mold inhibitor)

The juice just has the Citric Acid and the Potassium Sorbate.

This is good to know. So the next time I want to change the PH of something I will just buy Citric Acid. And if I want to control the mold I will buy Potassium Sorbate.

Need to read up on Carrageenan.

OP maybe your hair is responding to Carrageenan.

Kurlee

Ok - the Aloe Vera Gel has the following ingredients
Carrageenan (thickening agent), Citric Acid (pH Stabalizer), Potassium Sorbate (mold inhibitor)

The juice just has the Citric Acid and the Potassium Sorbate.

This is good to know. So the next time I want to change the PH of something I will just buy Citric Acid. And if I want to control the mold I will buy Potassium Sorbate.

Need to read up on Carrageenan.

OP maybe your hair is responding to Carrageenan.
carrageenan is a thickening agent and it comes from seaweed.

lalla

All aloe vera gels contain gelling agents such as xanthan gum, cellulose derivatives, carbomer etc...
The gels provide more hold than the juice, maybe too much hold for you.