Why Are You Praying About Your Bills & Financial Needs?

loolalooh

I was listening to a sermon (from a series of sermons sent to me ... Thank you, you know who you are. :)) when it was mentioned the pastor never prays for money. Why not? Because it is in God's promises that He will provide for those who seek His Kingdom first. Why pray, and even more so, worry about something that is already promised to us. The pastor referenced Matthew 6, which is actually one the promises I keep in my heart, especially in times of need:

MATTHEW 6:
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

I have numerous testimonies about how my back was against the wall financially, but the Lord somehow, someway always made a way WHENEVER I refused to worry. The most recent situation was me being down to just chump change in my banking account, maxed out on a couple of credit cards, and needing to somehow pay for my rent, car note, and some fees. I shot worrying to the ground. I barely prayed because a way was going to SOMEHOW be made. I thought to myself, "He is sovereign" and left it at that. All of sudden, a couple of financial doors were opened on God's accord and not on mine.

Now granted, the Scripture above references that we not "worry" and not necessarily that we not "pray" during these times. But I do think the pastor has a point in questioning the point of praying for these things when they have already been promised to us ... when all we have to do is keep on seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness. Just some food for thought.

Feel free to chime in. :)

Why do I pray? Because G-d says to pray always, never ceasing. He said not to worry, not not to pray. The focus is different in that scripture and is pointing to worrying about things. What G-d tells us is to see Him first...."man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of G-d." We are to honor Him and seek His righteous first as our Heavenly Father.

Although G-d loves us and will provide for us, we should never forget that many good, kind and loving people who love G-d with all their hearts go hungry somewhere in the world. Someone is sick, another is homeless. Being a christian does not mean we are not going to suffer. But He does provide for us according to His will. And of course, a lot of G-d's will is that we become His hands of mercy and sharing to the world.

Why do I pray? Well, I am to pray for everything and trust Him.

Because of this:

John 14:13
"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

I bring ALL my requests to Him.

I don't think anything is wrong with praying about your bills and finances.

I have prayed about my finances and God has answered my prayers. God gave me wisdom and led me to resources to show me how to be a good steward over my finances. In addition, He has given me monetary increase to pay off debt.

Praying and worrying are not the same. When I pray I'm asking and believing for God's help and guidance; therefore, I don't have to worry. My faith overrides worry (fear).

I pray about these things(bills, finances and other resources) because it all comes from God. We are just stewards. So why not go to the original Great Designer? He knows how to handle any circumstance and His way is far beyond our thinking :). Remember the story of the parable of the talents? Matt 13:25-30

It is a simple story that our Lord tells here. A man who is preparing to leave on a journey entrusts his possessions to his servants. He distributes his wealth among three servants, apportioned to them on the basis of their abilities. To the first he entrusted five talents, to the second two talents, and to the third one talent. The first two servants quickly272 set to work with their master’s money. The third servant did not invest his master’s money at all; he dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money. When the master returned, the first two eagerly met their master, apparently delighted in the opportunity to multiply their master’s money.273 Both were commended as “good and faithful servants”; both were rewarded with increased responsibilities in their master’s service; both were invited to share in their master’s joy.:yep:

http://bible.org/seriespage/parable-talents-matthew-2514-30-luke-1912-28

All of the above.

Its not always a prayer about "give me more". My prayers initially was about helping ME find a way FOR ME to be better about managing money and having faith. A lot of our spending practices actually stem from a lack of faith. I came from a family that mishandled $$ and I asked HIM to deliver me from that stronghold and to stop that generational curse.

I've been good ever since. I married a man who also is great with managing money. #Winning...Thanks to HIM!

Back