• I LOVE long hair!

Votes: 485 47.0%
  • I look best with Long Hair.

Votes: 264 25.6%
  • I really don't know.

Votes: 38 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've always had long hair. It wasn't until I permed my hair did I start to encounter problems with severe breakage, damage and scalp irritation. After I transitioned, now I'm going back to what I know. But also when my hair is longer I play with it less, I tend to just pin it up because I'm pretty lazy.

Nice Lady

I want long hair because it makes me look better and I love longer hair--I feel like short hair takes more maintenance and it has never been flattering for me.

Pandora1975

Lots of reasons. DH's hair is waist length and I hate being out done, its never been long, I needed a change and can't afford another tattoo, and its an interesting hobby ( I get to be scientific).

fyb87

None of the choices fit, so I didn't vote. I keep long hair because I am lazy. Not because I love it or find it a challenge or anything. Just out of pure laziness. Twice in my life I had short hair (chin length bob) and I LOVED that style and it looked fabulous on me LOL! However, I had to actually get up and style it everyday. I couldn't slap it in a ponytail and being that I work out everyday not being able to put it up in a ponytail was aggravating.

I will say that now that I don't wear my hair straight anymore I like it better. If I was rich and had a stylist to do my hair everyday I would for sure have SHORT hair and NOT long hair. Then I would just buy wigs for the times I've want to wear long hair!

mzsophisticated26

I chose challenge beause I have never had hair longer than grazing SL and also my hair has not been past ear length in over 10-12yrs. I wanted to challenge my self to grow longer healthy hair since I could not get that with my ex- beautician of 7yrs

Hersheygurl

I think healthy hair is beautiful in all lengths, but for me personally, I want it LONG! I have recently returned to bellydancing, and think for the art long hair compliments the outfits, movements, and look I am going for, so I choose to grow....

I also feel sexier with my hair longer, and like I don't have as many " bad hair days". When my hair was short and cut in a style, I had to keep it up or curled, or it looked a mess, but with long hair, I can just slick and bun and look polished quickly.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I have not had long hair since 2007! It was BSL. I miss is sooo much...
It has never been this long in the front though. I am looking forward to having long hair all around.

makeupgirl

I haven't had long hair since I was about 10. I'm 28 and the longest my hair has gotten to has been collar bone length. It didn't occur to me that maybe I wasn't taking care of my hair or it was the relaxers so I hope transitioning from relaxers to natural and learning how to properly taking care of my hair will finally allow my hair to grow past the collar bone. My goal length is BSL.

trendsetta25

the reason why i'm growing my hair is because growing up i always wanted it but never had it. My hair has NEVER grown past CBL, everyone else in my family (when i say family i mean my mom, grandmother,sisters, aunts and cousins!!) had or has APL or longer hair. I always felt like the black sheep. Since joining LHCF i now know that my hair can grow. I'm at my longest which is SL and my dream is to be a healthy full MBL :yep:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I just want to get back to the length I had in the 8th grade....wow, that was some hair...

Now, I will probably cut it off again when I hit my 60s because short, all-white hair is going to be great!

JenBenCal

It's so strange because, for a long time, I thought I wouldn't look right with long hair. I just kept cutting shorter and shorter, (after reciving a lopsided cut from a stylist who didn't know what she was doing) and I had resigned to myself that I could never grow my hair out long. I had that "black hair won't grow" thing going on mentally. However, I want to grow my hair out because I haven't had long LONG hair since I was in kindergarden! Can't wait to see how things change :)

Avan207

Actually, longer hair is easier to manage for me. other than the wash/dc stuff the styling is easy. My DD has MBL hair and I keep her looking fly.

GodivaChocolate

I used to date this guy who would say your hair can't grow long, because of genetics.. Now, my husband always says..if you leave your hair alone and stop messing with it it will grow long, everytime he's sees me washing my hair, he says..it's really getting long..I love that I married him!

Misshairdiva

Originally Posted by growinstrong
Let's face it, men LOVE long hair and even though I'm married, I like the attention I get from men staring at it , knowing they cant touch it or me
I agree 100%!!!!!

Last edited:

hiphoprocker

i voted the challenge because i want to show the world that these black girls can do it too!! i heart heart heart long hair, but if it was just about that, i could get a weave anytime lol

Ivey14

I never had a problem with growing my hair, but before I lost my hair after relaxing it myself, the last length I was at was MBL. If it wasn't for that incident, who knows where I'd be now!! I just NEVER had waist length hair before and would like to see if I can make it there.

dragongirlmk09

i want to grow out my hair long because in high school i had BSL hair and for some reason i cut it :( now i want to grow out my hair again because i love it when my hair is long and i like when i have it down men stare at it like they are in love and they have never seen hair that long on a black women.

Odd One

I dont remember ever having healthy hair in my whole life.

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to have long flowing hair...never did :(

I used to get laughed at because my hair would stick up straight :(

Then I started to hide under extensions (weaves mostly and braids) for YEARS !

On feb. 09, after several months of lurking, I decided that I can do it too !

On feb 09 I took down my last install, decided to NEVER look back at hair extension AGAIN. Only thing I accept are yarn braids...because its yarn, not hair (never having fake hair on my head is my own personal/emotional battle)

Thanks to lhcf, this is the longest/most healthy my hair has ever been! And I keep on working hard so that my hair can finally reach its maximum potential !:yep:

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I am challenging myself to grow BSL hair. Right now, at this present time of being within an inch or so of APL...this is the longest my hair has ever been in my life. I was a regular salon goer. I let my stylist do EVERYTHING for me, so I had no clue how to maintain and take care of my very own hair. It was a blessed day the day I found LHCF. I want healthy BSL hair, and am willing to work hard until I get there. Once there, I think I will enjoy the fruits of my labor for a bit....but only a short bit. Then its back to everything I've leard here on maintain and retaining length.

nysister

My husband asked me too. I'm not overly fond of it, but the challenge is interesting. We'll see how long it takes me to cut it when I get there.

Taleah2009

I agree with all the ladies. I am a newbie to the healthy hair care journey. I never been past shoulder length hair, and I was always one of those people who thought my hair just can't grow. So I am challenging myself! HHG Ladies! Oh, I am also transitioning, so any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

MrJohnsonsRib

Our hair is our glory, plus I like the way it looks and I like the versatility of it...I mean I could weave it but...if I can grow it I will try and it looks nice on me I think. So for me I mainly picked because I love long hair but I'm doing it for the challenge, the proof, the confidence boost that I can stick to something. Being natural with long hair is like a double whammy challenge. I think it makes us as women look realy nice and I can do a lot with my hair long. I want my before chemical hair back. I want my health. It's a declaration that I refuse to just be what people think and run down those products lines who "target" us and not work just for us....that's my reasoning.

MrJohnsonsRib

I agree with all the ladies. I am a newbie to the healthy hair care journey. I never been past shoulder length hair, and I was always one of those people who thought my hair just can't grow. So I am challenging myself! HHG Ladies! Oh, I am also transitioning, so any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Ooh! Cool well first you should check out the transitioners thread on here and the newbie thread....they are more than likely in the sticky threads- you know the topics that never bump down and are ALWAYS on the top few lines before all the other threads. That would be a great place to learn all the different abbreviations used here and the variant hair care styles and techniques available. It will give you a nice base to make surfing the site easier. HTH!!:grin:

SEMO

I've always wanted long hair. Before going natural I wanted MBL hair because I wanted to see if my hair could get to that length. I also thought I looked better with longer hair. I'm natural now, and my hair is actually past MBL when straightened.

I continue to grow my hair b/c now I want to reach a certain goal when my hair is curly. I'm aiming for collar bone length (w/ maximum shrinkage). Currently w/ max. shrinkage my hair is still shoulder length or above.

Now, I think would look better with collar bone length curly hair versus MBL straight hair. So my hair journey continues.

MrJohnsonsRib

I dont remember ever having healthy hair in my whole life.

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to have long flowing hair...never did :(

I used to get laughed at because my hair would stick up straight :(

Then I started to hide under extensions (weaves mostly and braids) for YEARS !

On feb. 09, after several months of lurking, I decided that I can do it too !

On feb 09 I took down my last install, decided to NEVER look back at hair extension AGAIN. Only thing I accept are yarn braids...because its yarn, not hair (never having fake hair on my head is my own personal/emotional battle)

Thanks to lhcf, this is the longest/most healthy my hair has ever been! And I keep on working hard so that my hair can finally reach its maximum potential !:yep:

Great job! keep it up! :grin:

Jewell

I LOVE LONG HAIR! It looks best on me (and I've cut my hair uber short before, so I can compare), and I just enjoy the versatility of long hair. I couldn't do a ponytail with my short hair cut, and one of my fave styles is a single long braid (like many ladies from India wear). Couldn't do that. I want to continue growing my hair to see its maximum potential shine through. I've gotten to MBL then cut, so I want to grow much longer this time!