Why are Wigs so DRYING?

naturalmanenyc

I wore my wig all day yesterday and my hair was like a desert when I took the wig off for bed. :perplexed

I have never noticed, although it's probably been the case for a while, that wearing wigs dries out my hair. I used no wig cap and used my usual leave-in that has been working to keep my hair moisturized for 2 days at a time. I typically only have a wig on during the work day so keeping a wig on for more than 12 hours seemed to be the turning point to dry hair.

Is this only with synthetic wigs?

Do human hair wigs cause hair to dry out as well?

Last edited:

makeupgirl

Try keeping your satin bonnet on under the wig. I do this, I'll keep my satin bonnet on and then put the wig cap on and then the wig. When I get home at night after work, my hair is not dry at all.

steffiejoe

I have never had this problem. In fact I wear synthetic half wigs and when I take my wig off my hair is soft and moist. I do not wear any type of wig cap and my hair is in about 6 plaits. When I wear my wigs I always use s curl as my moisturizer.

SelfStyled

I don't have this problem either. I moisturize and seal before the wig goes on- and when it comes off my hair is not dry. I don't use wig caps either.

Duchesse

Me neither. Make sure your hair is really moisturized before putting the wig on. 9x outta10 I have no wig cap on and my hair stays good.

nikolite

Wigs aren't drying, its NOT moisturizing underneath wigs that is drying. I think people have a tendency to forget about their hair when they wear the wig and moisturize less. But the wig itself isn't the problem. Actually, I think wigs help trap in more moisture and heat from the scalp once moisture is actually added.

It doesn't make sense that hair exposed to the air and elements keeps more moisture than hair being covered by something (as long as that something isn't a cotton fabric that can absorb moisture).

When I'm wearing half wigs, I always moisturise everyday and put a satin scarf on over my own hair before putting on the wig. This guarantees moisturised hair everytime :yep:

naturalmanenyc

No, not the problem. I have been using a great leave in that has worked well for me for a few weeks.

It must be the cap construction - probably cotton.

Wigs aren't drying, its NOT moisturizing underneath wigs that is drying. I think people have a tendency to forget about their hair when they wear the wig and moisturize less. But the wig itself isn't the problem. Actually, I think wigs help trap in more moisture and heat from the scalp once moisture is actually added.

It doesn't make sense that hair exposed to the air and elements keeps more moisture than hair being covered by something (as long as that something isn't a cotton fabric that can absorb moisture).

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I'm planning to try a satin du-rag to see if that changes anything. My leave in was just sucked right out of my hair yesterday after wearing my wig all day.

I don't have this problem either. I moisturize and seal before the wig goes on- and when it comes off my hair is not dry. I don't use wig caps either.

nikolite

I'm planning to try a satin du-rag to see if that changes anything. My leave in was just sucked right out of my hair yesterday after wearing my wig all day.

That should do the trick. I wear this under my half-wigs and it works well. You should put it on right after you apply the leave-in. I've heard that some others actually wear a plastic cap and baggy underneath for extra deep conditioning throughout the day.

naturalmanenyc

I tried using a du-rag yesterday, after moisutrizing my hair, and it worked well.

That should do the trick. I wear this under my half-wigs and it works well. You should put it on right after you apply the leave-in. I've heard that some others actually wear a plastic cap and baggy underneath for extra deep conditioning throughout the day.