Who's in Hell?

Guitarhero

I heard a priest today say that G-d is in hell, loving on the sinners. Doesn't mean they aren't reaping just punishments. I've heard other accounts of the nature of hell such that it's G-d's love that is the flame. Basically, I was mistaken to think that G-d removed His presence away from those in hell. What do you think?

Romans 8:38-39 (KJV)

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Of course, I assumed that this ended when one went to hell. :look: G-d's love is encompassing...even in hell.

moonglowdiva

Who's in hell? That simple. Sinners. What send you to hell? Disobedience to God's Holy Word. There will be two deaths. God is omniscient which means He's everywhere. Once you are in hell you will be there for eternity. There is no getting out.

According to Revelations
But the fearful, and unbeleiving, and the abominable, and murders, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth wit hfire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Revelation 21:8

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Revelation 20:15

This will cause one to go to hell
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matthew 22:36-40
That is the 10 commandment summed up. Jesus came to fulfill the Law and nothing has been taken away. It's finished.

Getting into heaven is very hard getting into hell is easy
Enter ye in at the strait (narrow) gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because stait is the gate, and narrow is the way, that leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:13-14

Also
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves
Matthew7:15

You were right in your assessment just he does remove his presence from those that are in hell and the reprobate mind like Judas Iscariot and Cain. God is omniscient. God knows whats going on in hell.

ETA: I forgot to make mention of what Paul was talking about. He was talking about God's love for the believer while being here on this earth (not in hell) and the struggles that believers will have to face. If God, the uncreated One, is for us, and no created thing can separate us, then as believers our security in Him is absolute.

I hope this helped.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

You were right in your assessment just he does remove his presence from those that are in hell and the reprobate mind like Judas Iscariot and Cain. God is omniscient. God knows whats going on in hell.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

It's not a question asking who goes to hell...it's about whether G-d is there present...of course, He does know what's happening everywhere...but my question/observation based upon what a priest said was that He doesn't remove even His love from hell. I've heard it explained that it's His love which is the burning fire of hell. Have you heard that one before? It makes me wonder. :scratchch When G-d withdraws His presence from a person...maybe the H-ly Spirit??? Like that. Of course, He's still around...but maybe His influence is removed? Dunno.

Last edited:

moonglowdiva

It's not a question asking who goes to hell...it's about whether G-d is there present...of course, He does know what's happening everywhere...but my question/observation based upon what a priest said was that He doesn't remove even His love from hell. I've heard it explained that it's His love which is the burning fire of hell. Have you heard that one before? It makes me wonder. :scratchch

I had left that part out but I add it. God is a consuming fire. We sinner would burn up in His presence. God never intended for His creation to have to go to hell. It was originally intended for the devil and his cohorts. Back in Geneis between 1:1 and 1:2 something happend. Scripture doesn't tell us but you must use hermanutic(sp) to get the full meaning. But evil was present. That priest is wrong :perplexed. Judas Iscariot is proof of that. I do not want you to believe something that is error to the Word. Have you ever read the Pilgram's Progress. It is fiction but taken entirely from scripture. It will put things into perspective because the author John Bunyun use actual character to convey the meaning of scripture. Yes God does take His presence away from the sinner on earth and in hell. Thoroughly search scriptures. But as long as youre on earth the Holy Spirit will convict the believe of sin until godly sorrow and true repentance occur. Once in hell youre in hell.

Last edited:

Keen

It's not a question asking who goes to hell...it's about whether G-d is there present...of course, He does know what's happening everywhere...but my question/observation based upon what a priest said was that He doesn't remove even His love from hell. I've heard it explained that it's His love which is the burning fire of hell. Have you heard that one before? It makes me wonder. :scratchch When G-d withdraws His presence from a person...maybe the H-ly Spirit??? Like that. Of course, He's still around...but maybe His influence is removed? Dunno.

Check out the life of Padre Pio. Tried to PM you some specifics but you're not accepting PMs.

DaiseeDay

I can tell you - no God is not there "loving on" the people there. Maybe it's a nice notion, but it's wrong. Sounds like the guy who tried to erase hell.

Rainbow Dash

Hell is not a place of peace. It is separation from God and all His benefits. It is a place of torment where the worm never dies. People in hell are not enjoying it. Just like the rich man in hell, this describes the conditions.

The rich man also died, and was buried. And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, "Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receiveth thy good tidings, and likewise Lazarus evil things: But now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that they which would pass from hence to you, cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence." Luke 16

ktykaty

My answers are in red.

I heard a priest today say that G-d is in hell, loving on the sinners. Doesn't mean they aren't reaping just punishments. Was he talking about hell or about the Gehenna. These are 2 different place. Hell generally means the sojourn of the deads. The Gehenna is the lake of eternal fire where the unrepentant sinners & the devil will end up. The official position of the RCC is that we do not know exactly what happen after death for those who are not in Christ. What this priest shared was probably is personal opinion.

I've heard other accounts of the nature of hell such that it's G-d's love that is the flame. God's love is a purifying fire. I can see why people would think that it's His love that is the purifying fire of Hell. This is only a guess. We have no certitude about that.

Basically, I was mistaken to think that G-d removed His presence away from those in hell. What do you think?

HTH.

Guitarhero

I had left that part out but I add it. God is a consuming fire. We sinner would burn up in His presence. God never intended for His creation to have to go to hell. It was originally intended for the devil and his cohorts. Back in Geneis between 1:1 and 1:2 something happend. Scripture doesn't tell us but you must use hermanutic(sp) to get the full meaning. But evil was present. That priest is wrong :perplexed. Judas Iscariot is proof of that. I do not want you to believe something that is error to the Word. Have you ever read the Pilgram's Progress. It is fiction but taken entirely from scripture. It will put things into perspective because the author John Bunyun use actual character to convey the meaning of scripture. Yes God does take His presence away from the sinner on earth and in hell. Thoroughly search scriptures. But as long as youre on earth the Holy Spirit will convict the believe of sin until godly sorrow and true repentance occur. Once in hell youre in hell.

I'm not asking who is bound for hell...it's a question on how much G-d interacts with those in hell, basically. I'm catholic, so no, I'm not familiar with those. Yes, He is that consuming fire...and I think it's literally his love which is the fire in hell. We believe in purgatory and that's been described as His purifying fire. Lends a different perspective. I should have asked that priest after services but I was in a hurry to get out of there. LOLOL

Guitarhero

My answers are in red.

"Gehenna"

HTH.

Well, he made a passing comment on hell. His sermon was on finding Christ in every person. But he made mention of someone who asked if G-d loved those who went to hell...and yes, He does. He's actively loving those in hell...which makes that scripture give me a different perspective. I had thought he had removed His presence from them. It could have been his personal opinion, I dunno. I'll ask my priest about it. We don't know exactly, true. Thanks!!

Guitarhero

Check out the life of Padre Pio. Tried to PM you some specifics but you're not accepting PMs.

I've tried but cannot undo that to accept PM's...have tried for a few months...I give up. :nono: Maybe there is something stuck in my cache? Shrugs.

I'll check into Padre Pio. Could you copy and paste specifics on here?

divya

Well, I believe that hell is the grave, based on the majority of translations of hell in the Scriptures. So I believe that all dead people are in hell, meaning the grave (with the exception of the few God raised in the Bible). Here's a good write up on the issues: http://www.smyrna.org/Studies/Death and the Grave.htm

Is anyone in "hellfire?" No. I believe that the "hellfire" that causes the second death described in Revelation will only occur at the very end when God destroys the wicked. That fire will not burn endlessly. The wicked will die a second and eternal death. Rev 21:8

Guitarhero

Well, I believe that hell is the grave, based on the majority of translations of hell in the Scriptures. So I believe that all dead people are in hell, meaning the grave (with the exception of the few God raised in the Bible). Here's a good write up on the issues: http://www.smyrna.org/Studies/Death and the Grave.htm

Is anyone in "hellfire?" No. I believe that the "hellfire" that causes the second death described in Revelation will only occur at the very end when God destroys the wicked. That fire will not burn endlessly. The wicked will die a second and eternal death. Rev 21:8

But where is G-d on that side? Is He there loving those souls, in your opinion?

makeupgirl

God is definitely not in hell. He is in his kingdom, the 3rd heaven preparing a place for his kids Aka the body/bride.

No disrespect to the priest but dude need some serious bible study IMO

Guitarhero

God is definitely not in hell. He is in his kingdom, the 3rd heaven preparing a place for his kids Aka the body/bride.

No disrespect to the priest but dude need some serious bible study IMO

Priest have doctorates in theology and such...beyond your typical bible study :grin: I think he's saying that His presence is still there. Do we know definitively? I don't think we do. I'm still looking for studies on the issue. I'm sure our position is probably most aligned with Thomas Aquinas etc.

I have yet to question my own priest about it. But is it that far-fetched to think that He is not there? If He's omniscient, then He knows what's going on there...in a sense, that means His mind is there, right? :lachen: Maybe saying that "G-d's presence is wherever or withdrawn" is largely figurative because I cannot imagine Him not being everywhere. It would be beyond a black hole if He were not Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent in some corner of the universe and beyond....:scratchch

Last edited:

divya

But where is G-d on that side? Is He there loving those souls, in your opinion?

Yes. God loves people enough not to force them to choose salvation. He allows all of us to choose live eternally with Him or to choose death. So even in the decision of the wicked to reject God's gift of eternal life, God loves them enough to allow to take that road.

Guitarhero

Yes. God loves people enough not to force them to choose salvation. He allows all of us to choose live eternally with Him or to choose death. So even in the decision of the wicked to reject God's gift of eternal life, God loves them enough to allow to take that road.

After they take that road and all is final....I think we're seeing this from different points of views so that my question is being obscured...is G-d present there in hell with those who are suffering the punishments? According to scripture, there is nothing that can separate man from His love. Is He there in hell alongside of them? He certainly knows what is going on. But is He there actively loving them or has He turned His back on them? Incidentally, loving someone does not mean removing punishment from them. If G-d has literally removed himself from hell, then that's one place that He is not present...absolutely opposite of His nature as omnispresent. :look: The focus is not so much who will suffer the punishments but, rather, if G-d is there present with them. Graces removed? I'd say so...but still present. Shrugs. This is a tough theological question I just so happened upon. I'm not saying anyone has the definitive answer...but if anyone has studied this, I'd like to know the points and where to find them. Um, I'm not asking for someone to point me to scripture solely...but to a study of that in scripture.

Last edited:

divya

After they take that road and all is final....I think we're seeing this from different points of views so that my question is being obscured...is G-d present there in hell with those who are suffering the punishments? According to scripture, there is nothing that can separate man from His love. Is He there in hell alongside of them? He certainly knows what is going on. But is He there actively loving them or has He turned His back on them? Incidentally, loving someone does not mean removing punishment from them. If G-d has literally removed himself from hell, then that's one place that He is not present...absolutely opposite of His nature as omnispresent. :look: The focus is not so much who will suffer the punishments but, rather, if G-d is there present with them. Graces removed? I'd say so...but still present. Shrugs. This is a tough theological question I just so happened upon. I'm not saying anyone has the definitive answer...but if anyone has studied this, I'd like to know the points and where to find them. Um, I'm not asking for someone to point me to scripture solely...but to a study of that in scripture.

If I am understanding correctly, the analysis that you are looking for likely would be based on your beliefs about hell itself. Since I believe the hell is the grave and grave/death will be destroyed along with the wicked in the lake of fire according to the book of Revelation, then none of these questions would be relevant. God would have no need to be present in something that will not exist. Guess that doesn't answer your question in any way, but I do pray you find the answers to your questions.

song_of_serenity

Some people are always trying to find loopholes out of the word, especially when eternal damnation and judgment are concerned.

How about this? Live right according to His word and you won't even HAVE to worry about this to that extent. Don't allow yourself to lift your eyes up in hell to find out.

Guitarhero

If I am understanding correctly, the analysis that you are looking for likely would be based on your beliefs about hell itself. Since I believe the hell is the grave and grave/death will be destroyed along with the wicked in the lake of fire according to the book of Revelation, then none of these questions would be relevant. God would have no need to be present in something that will not exist. Guess that doesn't answer your question in any way, but I do pray you find the answers to your questions.

Ahhhhhh,.....I get your point now. Sorry about that! Interesting. Question, where do people go after they die, to heaven? So, in your faith, if it was "hell-bound," then the soul remained joined to the body in the ground? Thanks for your prayer. :yep:

Guitarhero

Some people are always trying to find loopholes out of the word, especially when eternal damnation and judgment are concerned.

How about this? Live right according to His word and you won't even HAVE to worry about this to that extent. Don't allow yourself to lift your eyes up in hell to find out.

On second thought...you know, I must have edited 6 times to get my point across without insulting in retaliation and I've now resigned myself to only say that some of us actually enjoy asking the hard questions. We just do. Coming to Christ is not meant to be one boring ride.

Last edited:

pearlygurl

I heard a priest today say that G-d is in hell, loving on the sinners. Doesn't mean they aren't reaping just punishments. I've heard other accounts of the nature of hell such that it's G-d's love that is the flame. Basically, I was mistaken to think that G-d removed His presence away from those in hell. What do you think?

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Of course, I assumed that this ended when one went to hell. :look: G-d's love is encompassing...even in hell.

Hey Guitarhero :wave:

While reading your post Psalm 139 immediately popped into my head. Here are verses 7-8

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

Now I don't believe that God is "loving on" those souls who are in hell as that priest said but I do believe He is there. I mean if we believe He's omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time) then why wouldn't He be there too?

Last edited:

Rainbow Dash

Hey Guitarhero :wave:

While reading your post Psalm 139 immediately popped into my head. Here are verses 7-8

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

Now I don't believe that God is "loving on" those souls who are in hell as that priest said but I do believe He is there. I mean if we believe He's omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time) then why wouldn't He be there too?

This is a good. It simply means that we cannot hide from God's presence. There is simply not a place where we can hide from God. God, through His Spirit is omnipresent.

There is no place to flee from His presence. Yet, He is ruling in glory from His throne in heaven. It is from there that “His eyes behold” the sons of men (Psalm 11:4).

We must also remember that, although God is omnipresent through His Spirit, we can become separated from Him. In fact, we are warned, “your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear” (Isaiah 59:2).

Guitarhero

This is a good. It simply means that we cannot hide from God's presence. There is simply not a place where we can hide from God. God, through His Spirit is omnipresent.

There is no place to flee from His presence. Yet, He is ruling in glory from His throne in heaven. It is from there that “His eyes behold” the sons of men (Psalm 11:4).

We must also remember that, although God is omnipresent through His Spirit, we can become separated from Him. In fact, we are warned, “your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear” (Isaiah 59:2).

Yes, I fully comprehend the last sentence. I had totally forgotten this scripture. THANKS!!!!!! If we only truly understood the depth of His love. I'm telling you, that was a very profound thing the good priest said in his homily last week. Thank you so much!

divya

Ahhhhhh,.....I get your point now. Sorry about that! Interesting. Question, where do people go after they die, to heaven? So, in your faith, if it was "hell-bound," then the soul remained joined to the body in the ground? Thanks for your prayer. :yep:

In my faith, each living person is a soul, and there is no inner being that goes anywhere when you die. So as long as you have the breath of life in you, you are a soul. When we die, we all go to the grave. We wait in the grave for either the first resurrection (to eternal life) or the second resurrection (to the lake of fire and then eternal death). Thus my answers to your questions, which of course, wouldn't really address your questions in the manner you are seeking.

You're very welcome. :bighug:

mieshashair

What would be the purpose of going to hell if Gods love would still be present with us??? If his love would still surround us y waste time sending ppl there y not just go to heaven?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ap53TAWp-0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Guitarhero

What would be the purpose of going to hell if Gods love would still be present with us??? If his love would still surround us y waste time sending ppl there y not just go to heaven?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ap53TAWp-0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

That's part of it...because nothing can separate His love from His creation. I won't watch the video. But if G-d is conscious of all everywhere, then He must be there as well. I think we are confusing His love with feeling grace and blessings etc. Hell is definitely a punishment. I'm wondering even more if His love isn't that flame and the torments being so great as having rejected it during life. They are on the other side of that love and it's punishing.

Hopefully, some more catholics here will chime in because I'd like to explore the side of purgatory for those who are saved in the end but have unresolved sin that has to be removed. That is also through the fire. If there are some who are uncomfortable with this topic, I humbly ask you to pass.

mieshashair

That's part of it...because nothing can separate His love from His creation. I won't watch the video. But if G-d is conscious of all everywhere, then He must be there as well. I think we are confusing His love with feeling grace and blessings etc. Hell is definitely a punishment. I'm wondering even more if His love isn't that flame and the torments being so great as having rejected it during life. They are on the other side of that love and it's punishing.

Hopefully, some more catholics here will chime in because I'd like to explore the side of purgatory for those who are saved in the end but have unresolved sin that has to be removed. That is also through the fire. If there are some who are uncomfortable with this topic, I humbly ask you to pass.

How could love be used as torment? Love and torment don't go together, torment comes from the devil. God does not torment, the flames on he'll are described in the bible as literal fire flames in several scriptures. I'm nit trying to be overbearing but I think that right now you probably feel comfortable not believing this. But even if U were right and the flame was possibly Gods love would you be ok with going to hell? I think watching the video could answer some questions for u.

proverbs31woman

I wondered about this scripture for a while too until I asked someone wiser than me about it and he said that it is a metaphor. God isn't literally in Hell loving the souls that are there. Not all of the Bible is to be taken literally. For instance, Matthew 5:29 says, "And if your right eye offend you, pluck it out, and cast it from you: for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be cast into hell.". Of course, Jesus wasn't telling them to literally pluck out there eye; it was a metaphor. So, in the scripture you pointed out, God is saying that His live is greater than anything. That doesn't mean His love is in Hell. That's a place where souls are totally separated from God.

If I were you, I would really seek God about it. He won't lead you astray. Be blessed!

Side note question: why do you put a space in God (i.e., G-d)? I've never seen that before. Im not trying to get off track...just curious.

proverbs31woman

What you are saying is so true, Miesha. A lot of people want to believe God is there comforting those in Hell, but that's far from the truth. People need to know that once they make their bed in hell it's for eternity and there will be no more comfort. The only way out of that is to commit your life to Jesus Christ. He is the only way...not Buddha, Mary, Allah, etc.