Who uses conditioners or another product before neutralizing?

chicacanella

Hi, you all. I am reading a thread on line and am reading that some people use another product before the neutralizing part of the relaxing process. The directions state to use the neutralizing shampoo right after you rinse out the relaxer to bring down the ph level and close the cutices. So do you all use a conditioner right before the neutralizing so that your hair strands will have more health so you can basically permanently throw some conditioning into the inner part of your hair before closing it with the neutralizing shampoo?

It sounds like a good idea, I would just like to know more info though.

Thanks

sareca

That's it in a nutshell. :yep: Everytime you wet or warm your hair the cuticle raises but nothing raises them as much as a high PH (between 9-13).

I think of pre-neutralizing conditioning as a way of taking advantage of a situation you wouldn't encounter normally. I typically use products with ceramides or keratin as both can be lost while relaxing.

chicacanella

That's it in a nutshell. :yep: Everytime you wet or warm your hair the cuticle raises but nothing raises them as much as a high PH (between 9-13).

I think of pre-neutralizing conditioning as a way of taking advantage of a situation you wouldn't encounter normally. I typically use products with ceramides or keratin as both can be lost while relaxing.

I wonder what a stylist would think about this and if they would have any objections? My stylist use Paul Mitchell products? Do you have any recommendations for deep conditioning before the neutralizing process?

Thanks

oh and he uses Dudley's Sensitive scalp which is no-lye.:yep:

loved

I used to use Motions CPR. Yesterday I used Porosity Control, but I'm not sure if that was right since I am still experimenting.

nicki6

I use Affirm 5-n-1 reconstructor directly after a relaxer. I believe that it allows the keratin (protein) to be absorbed better than if I waited after I neutralized.

prospurr4

I use Motions CPR Reconstructor (in the bottle) before the neutralizing process. When I do this, my hair feels stronger, and I don't get the "fresh-relaxer-hair-stuck-to-my-head" result.

sareca

I wonder what a stylist would think about this and if they would have any objections? My stylist use Paul Mitchell products? Do you have any recommendations for deep conditioning before the neutralizing process?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of stylists I trust to give me good hair advice. :( I use Phyto II it's no-lye too. I use Affirm Fiberguard after rinsing. It says to use it after rinsing before neutralizing. I'm afraid to use products during the relaxer process that don't specially say you can.

My only complaint is I wish my hair was longer... other than that I love it. It really doesn't break, it holds a curl, it's never frizzy...:love3:

Last edited:

kittenz

I wanted to do this with my next relaxer. Does anyone think Lamuar's Bone Marrow would be a good product to use before neutralizing? OP, you read my mind.:yep:

SilentRuby

I did this last time and I cannot stop thanking myself :yep:. This was the first time ever, that I got sexy salon hair on my own.

sunshinebeautiful

These past two relaxers I've rinsed, conditioned, and then neutralized. I use a moisturizing conditioner and from my understanding, it's supposed to deposit moisture back into the hair that has been taking out during the relaxing process. You do it before neutralizing while the cuticles are open.

Thann

So how long is the conditioner being left on? Is it just put on a rinsed off or do you let it sit for a certain amount of time?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
The directions on the no lye relaxers I've seen say to use a reconstructor (the one in the box) before neutralizing. The same rules apply for lye relaxers too though.

newflowers

Thanks to the wonderful ladies on this board, I have the best relaxed hair of my life. One of the things I do now that I'd never done before was use a protein treatment after relaxing and before neutralizing. I think it has made a huge difference in the strength and overall health of my hair. I mix a blend of the phyto reconstructor with silk peptide powder, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and panthenol. I apply this to my hair after a good long rinse, first with water and then with acv, wait five minutes, rinse, shampoo, shampoo, shampoo, and a reconstruct again before doing a deep moisturizing treatment with heat.

My hair is strong, no breakage, not dry, shiny, silky - I have the best hair of my life.

RubyWoo

Now the big question: Have any of you had any problems after doing this; breaking of stands, hair falling out?:lachen:

Nope. This has actually made my hair stronger, healthy, full of life and body after every touch-up. I will never do otherwise again and I have this board to thank for it. I prefer to use Aphogee 2 min Keratin reconstructor for 5 min.

Brownie518

Thanks

There are relaxers out there whose directions include conditioning before neutralizing. Motions is one. I use Ion Keratin Builder. I know a lot of Boardies use Aphogee 2minute Reconstructor. You could try a search as there have been quite a few threads discussing this. It is a good idea. Works wonders for the hair.:yep:

DivaRox

There are relaxers out there whose directions include conditioning before neutralizing. Motions is one. I use Ion Keratin Builder. I know a lot of Boardies use Aphogee 2minute Reconstructor. You could try a search as there have been quite a few threads discussing this. It is a good idea. Works wonders for the hair.:yep:

That's a cute term!

My former stylist used to do this and I was terrified my hair was gonna fall out-I guess years of doing the apply, rinse and neutralize was ingrained in me-LOL.

After I ordered my mizani kit, I saw it was listed as the next step immediately after rinsing. It makes perfect sense and I can't wait to use the aphoghee the next go round.

miracle

I condition w/Affirm 5-In-1 directly after rinsing the relaxer. (My stylist does this as well.) I leave it on for 10-15 minutes, rinse, and neutralize.

HoneyDew

Before Neutralizing I have been using (from Sally's) Ion Repair Solutions Effective Care Treatment . It has Keratin Protein in it. I have never used it any other time, but before neutralizing it has been a dream. Easy to apply to my just relaxed hair - I don't need to manipulate my hair too much. Very conditioning. I try to buy it when Sally's has 2 for 1 deals on ION products.

Determined22

The Affirm Fiberguard system is another one, which is another reason why I love it.