Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Lithium Hydroxide

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Guanidine Carbonate

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I am thinking of going back to relaxing, but I think that I want to try a no-lye relaxer this time. I always heard that no-lye was bad, but only calcium based no-lye relaxers were discussed.

So to those who don't use (or stopped using) calcium hydroxide no-lye relaxers, which do you perfer and how did it effect your hair?

loonatick

Bumping...........

i would like to know this too, but im gona try my luck with ORS Olive Oil No Lye and add even more olive oil! lol

Anyone else?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
loonatick said:
Bumping...........

i would like to know this too, but im gona try my luck with ORS Olive Oil No Lye and add even more olive oil! lol

Anyone else?

Is this calcium hydroxide based? I've never been interested in this one, so I never looked at the ingredients.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I wanna know, too, as some No Lye relaxers--including ORS No Lye--leave my hair looking dull and dry. Yes, they give me body and straigtening but no shine or luster. And yet, I'm too scared to use Lye relaxers. I wonder if fine-haired ladies can use Lye.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
loonatick said:
yes it is calcium hydroxide based. Is this bad?

It's not bad per se, but I've heard that the calcium content leaves a film on the hair which eventually leads to dryness. But some people have successfully relaxed with this type of relaxer, but I don't want to use iy.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Serenity_Peace said:
I wanna know, too, as some No Lye relaxers--including ORS No Lye--leave my hair looking dull and dry. Yes, they give me body and straigtening but no shine or luster. And yet, I'm too scared to use Lye relaxers. I wonder if fine-haired ladies can use Lye.

This is the main reason I'm thinking of switching to no-lye. My hair is fine and I used to use lye (Motions and Silk Elements). I never experience dryness or dullness, but my hair was always limp and had no body.

loonatick

B_Phlyy said:
It's not bad per se, but I've heard that the calcium content leaves a film on the hair which eventually leads to dryness. But some people have successfully relaxed with this type of relaxer, but I don't want to use iy.

Cant something like clarifying sort this out???

gimbap

B_Phlyy said:
This is the main reason I'm thinking of switching to no-lye. My hair is fine and I used to use lye (Motions and Silk Elements). I never experience dryness or dullness, but my hair was always limp and had no body.
Really? My experiences with lye/no-lye are the exact opposite. I now use ORS Lye and I LOVE it. My friend, who is also fine haired, used the new bodifying no-lye relaxer from Optimum for her last touch up and it worked very well.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
loonatick said:
Cant something like clarifying sort this out???

No. I don't know the exact science behind it, but from my understanding, the calciuim content attaches to the hair during the relaxing process due to the hair cuticles being raised. Once the hair is neutralized and the cuticles are flat, the calcium is still there and now locked into the hair.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
oobrittany said:
Really? My experiences with lye/no-lye are the exact opposite. I now use ORS Lye and I LOVE it. My friend, who is also fine haired, used the new bodifying no-lye relaxer from Optimum for her last touch up and it worked very well.

Which no lye did you use? How many times did you use it and why'd you switch? TIA

lucy

I used to use lye for years, because No-Lye made my hair extremely dry. My hairdresser told me that my hair is too fine for lye and tried Mizani Sensitive Scalp... I love it, and have been using it ever since. Not sure which ingredient it contains though.

gimbap

B_Phlyy said:
Which no lye did you use? How many times did you use it and why'd you switch? TIA

I used Dark & Lovely relaxer for about 2 years before finding this site. My hair would be straight, but stuck to my head and sooooooooo dry afterwards. I just thought that was the norm. Then I found LHCF and learned the difference between lye/no-lye. I used Silk Elements Lye twice, it was okay. But ORS Lye is the TRUTH!!! It leaves my hair straight, gives it body and doesn't leave it feeling dry! I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
lucy said:
I used to use lye for years, because No-Lye made my hair extremely dry. My hairdresser told me that my hair is too fine for lye and tried Mizani Sensitive Scalp... I love it, and have been using it ever since. Not sure which ingredient it contains though.

So, Lucy: Is Mizani for Sensitive Scalp a No-Lye relaxer?

Thanks, SP ;)

lucy

Serenity_Peace said:
So, Lucy: Is Mizani for Sensitive Scalp a No-Lye relaxer?

Thanks, SP ;)

yea SP, the sensitive scalp, in the small jar is no-lye. the regular mizani in the big tub is lye. :)

PinkAngel

My favorite no lye relaxers are ORS & Soft N' Beautiful Botanicals for Sensitive Scalp. (S & B will get your hair straaiiiight) I've never had a problem w/ calcium build-up b/c I use ORS Cream Aloe Shampoo (this removes calcium, neutralizes & moisturizes). I recently switched to Affirm Lye Mild b/c I was having issues w/ dry scalp & I couldn't find a no-lye relaxer in mild. HTH

foxy kc

Not sure of the ingredients but I use Soft n Beautiful or Gentle Treatment no-lye relaxer.

I never have a problem with calcium buildup because the next wash after my relaxer I use Kenra Clarifying Shampoo which removes calcium and mineral deposits

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
foxy kc said:
Not sure of the ingredients but I use Soft n Beautiful or Gentle Treatment no-lye relaxer.

I never have a problem with calcium buildup because the next wash after my relaxer I use Kenra Clarifying Shampoo which removes calcium and mineral deposits

I was looking at the Gentle Treatment relaxer because it's lithium hydroxide based.

I think in the end though, I may just have to go with a calcium hydroxide based one end switch to a different shampoo like you and misshic.

latosha

B_Phlyy said:
No. I don't know the exact science behind it, but from my understanding, the calciuim content attaches to the hair during the relaxing process due to the hair cuticles being raised. Once the hair is neutralized and the cuticles are flat, the calcium is still there and now locked into the hair.

are you sure? i just bough ors creamy olive/aloe shampoo and it says it's supposed to remove calcium buildup.

Ladyhenri

I am fine haired and i also use ORS LYE...its amazing!. Didnt even burn unlike motions lye. This being said, i added olive oil to it so i'm not sure if that diluted the strength? It might also be an idea to add some conditioner to dilute it even further.

If you're definate about no lye you could try Phyto? i hear good things about it all the time.

Candy_C

ITA, I HAVE NO BUILDUP PROBS WHATSOEVER

since having a shower filter installed

i hardly clarify and use coconut oil daily :grin:

fmnnity

I'm natural but I use ORS no lye on my daughter and my sister. My daughters hair is ALWAYS shiny and moisturized. Even after she washes and air dries she has shine. I follow the steps that someone gave here. Immediately after relaxing but before neutralizing, I use Aphogee. Then we neutralize using the aloe shampoo and porosity control. I definitely know the build up of which you speak. But she doesn't get it. Now my sissy's hair is a different story. She was and is still suffering from the buildup. I'm not sure how to turn it around.