• Calcium Hydroxide

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Lithium Hydroxide

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other, please list in comment

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Monigirl

Hello Ladies I need some help. I just found out my favorite Lye relaxer has Calcium hydroxide and Sodium hydroxide in it. And someone brought it to my attention on my fotki page that Optimum Multi Mineral has both. and that Calcium hydroxide is mainly found in no-lye relaxers. Is this ingredient known for causing breakage? Does that mean my relaxer is not trully Lye? Can anyone...especially Lye relaxer users share some insight on both hydroxides and if your Lye relaxer has only one or both in it? Should I avoid Lye relaxers with certain hydroxides?

Currently I am using Optimum Multi-Mineral and love it.

InnerSoul

If it's working for your hair, then I wouldn't change it. If it's not broke don't fix it. Since it does contain calcium hydroxide just ensure you use a chelating shampoo to rid the strands of mineral build up. I didn't vote as I no longer use relaxers but when I did I actually used no lye and my last application was mizani lye. They are both chemicals so just ensure you neutralize and use chelating shampoos.

Last edited:

Monigirl

Thanks Innersoul for your response. I wonder can baking soda do the same job like a chelating shampoo? But nevermind :look: .....I am trying to stick with baking soda only like Redhotlala. I haven't used shampoo since Feb (except on relaxer night).

Neala21

My relaxer just has the sodium hydroxide i believe to be correct (Mizani Butter Blend system)

Anyways I stopped with the calcium hydroxide relaxers as it was drying beyond desert drought dry to my hair.

so by being rob of my moisture led to some breakage. But if it works for your hair (the relaxer) then keep with it. each person is different.

I'm learning my hair doesn't like every product that is raved about or that i try and I've accepted that.

gymfreak336

I wouldn't worry about it. Calcium hydroxide is less irritating so I think they put it in the mix for that reason. Still I wouldn't know for sure unless I had a break down of the percentage of each on the product. I have used that relaxer before and I think its a good one.

Monigirl

Thanks Neala21 and Gymfreak336 for your insight. :grin: Because so far Optimum Multi Mineral is getting my hair straighter than any other lye relaxer I have tired and doesn't burn me even if I washed my scalp two or one day prior to a touch up.

pisceschica

Hello Ladies I need some help. I just found out my favorite Lye relaxer has Calcium hydroxide and Sodium hydroxide in it. And someone brought it to my attention on my fotki page that Optimum Multi Mineral has both. and that Calcium hydroxide is mainly found in no-lye relaxers. Is this ingredient known for causing breakage? Does that mean my relaxer is not trully Lye? Can anyone...especially Lye relaxer users share some insight on both hydroxides and if your Lye relaxer has only one or both in it? Should I avoid Lye relaxers with certain hydroxides?

Calcium and lithium hydroxide (commonly used in no lye sensitive scalp relaxers) are slightly lower ph substitutes for sodium hydroxide which has one of the highest ph levels.

You should be fine as long as you use a chelating shampoo like a week after the relaxer. I myself get better results with no lye relaxers and will continue to use them along with a gentle chelating shampoo.

morehairplease

bumping and wanted to ask the ladies that have used this recently how is your hair doing?

tia,
tishee

Crystalicequeen123

If it's working for your hair, then I wouldn't change it. If it's not broke don't fix it. Since it does contain calcium hydroxide just ensure you use a chelating shampoo to rid the strands of mineral build up. I didn't vote as I no longer use relaxers but when I did I actually used no lye and my last application was mizani lye. They are both chemicals so just ensure you neutralize and use chelating shampoos.
How often do you have to use a "chelating" shampoo to your hair if you use a NO-LYE relaxer? Do you have to use it every 4 weeks or something? Or...only after you've had a relaxer touch-up with a no-lye (calcium hydroxide) relaxer?

I'm just a bit confused as to how often you have to use a chelating shampoo on your hair. I'm thinking about going back to a NO-lye relaxer, and I don't want my hair to dry up and fall out. :nono:

Calcium and lithium hydroxide (commonly used in no lye sensitive scalp relaxers) are slightly lower ph substitutes for sodium hydroxide which has one of the highest ph levels.

You should be fine as long as you use a chelating shampoo like a week after the relaxer. I myself get better results with no lye relaxers and will continue to use them along with a gentle chelating shampoo.

What type/brand of chelating shampoo do you suggest?

locabouthair

^the neutralizing poo that I use with ORS No lye is a chelating poo. And I wash my hair with that several times during the relaxer process. I dont use it much other than thta. I guess I should.

There are no lye's that have lithium hydroxide instead of calcium hydroxide. I dont think these are drying.

Well I use no lye, and I use Mizani chelating shampoo, and so far my hair is good, no breakage, no dryness, I wash like 4 or 5 times and follow with a moisturizing conditioner, or after I use my chelating shampoo I use a ph balance shampoo afterwards and then the conditioner....I like mizani's chelating shampoo.