When a product you love changes on you

tropical-punch

So I went to pick up my ever so faithful (or so I thought) Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I noticed the labeling was different. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the ingredients. Lo and behold, the formula has changed. Fragrance, which used to be at the bottom of the list is now the second ingredient! Why would they do that? The formula was perfect as is.

Old list:
Soy Bean Oil, Walnut Seed Oil, Kiwi Fruit Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Oil And Calendula Extract And Yarrow Extract And Cucumber Extract And Carrageenan Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Aloe Extract, Fragrance

New Forumla:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So I went to pick up my ever so faithful (or so I thought) Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I noticed the labeling was different. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the ingredients. Lo and behold, the formula has changed. Fragrance, which used to be at the bottom of the list is now the second ingredient! Why would they do that? The formula was perfect as is.

Companies tend to reformulate products when:

1) Switch contract manufacturers. Despite what most people think, "small" companies find it too expensive to own their own equipment, so its common in the industry to contract the work out to places that have the equipment. Each contract company tends to "tweak" the formulation to make it cost effective for small runs.

2) They decide to "update" a product line. This tends to mean one of several things:
a) They need to reduce or manage the cost per unit of the product. So they change the ingredients.

b) They can no longer source or purchase at a cost-efficient price specific ingredients.

c) They want to introduce the product to a different or new market.

I know its not what you want to hear but companies do realize there are limits to the amount a product can jump price wise for consumers. On the flip side, some companies also don't want to drastically drop prices without signaling to customers that the product seems inferior now. Its a balance.

Tiffanita

I hate that! I hope the new formula works just as well for you. The same thing happened with my beloved Giovanni leave in...

Barbara

Princess
That's one of my primary staples. Every time I use a product that works well for years, someone changes the formula or it's discontinued. :perplexed

Last edited:

choctaw

tropical-punch

I thank you for this informative post. I recently bought a bottle of this oil at a Dollar Store. I just checked the label and it contains the original formula.

tropical-punch

Now I need to search the city for the original. SMH. I went to two walmarts today and they both had the same new formula.

30something

I went to target recently and I noticed that almost half of all the products in one isle have reformulated, and change the graphics on their bottles since this time last year (pantene, suave and herbal essences are all guilty). I wonder why they do that, I will never get over nexxus changing humectress. *Sigh* I saw that HE LTR leave in looks different now too..

Aireen

That's why I have backups so if anything in one of my staples changes, yes it'll be hard but I'll still have a Plan-B.