What's your 3a/3b curly hair regimen?

varaneka

My curl type is 3a/3b, and I'm curious about others' regimens, especially if you use mostly organic and/or natural ingredients in your hair!

Thanks!

diva24

I am still tweaking my regimen. I'm sorry I could not be of more help right now but I just wanted you to know you are not alone. Have you considered ayurvedic methods? I am really enjoying coconut oil and Trade Joe conditoner right now.

varaneka

I haven't really tried ayurvedic methods because I don't understand how to do them yet, and I don't know of any local stores that sell products in that area

mkd

Just bumping. I am 3c I think. I was going to start a similar thread yesterday because I just can't get my regimen together. My hair is super fine and not very dense so it always seems so blah. I was thinking maybe it would look better shorter.

diva24

I haven't really tried ayurvedic methods because I don't understand how to do them yet, and I don't know of any local stores that sell products in that area
It's mostly just using natural things to cleanse and moisturise your hair.

I use shikakai powder and boil it, then strain the powder out, let the water cool and wash my hair with that. I also do the same thing with amla powder except I use that as a leave in. I also use amla oil and coconut oil as a last step to seal. All of those things are ayurvedic products/processes. If you can not find an Indian store I am sure there are a few of them nearby if you live in or near a large city. I did not find any until I asked an Indian person at my job.

They do have lots of powders but until I take the time to read up on them I will use the basic ones above. I use them in addition to Trader Joe's conditioner.

Stylewise I either wear a wet bun/ponytail or wear it straightened. I think Flowerhair has an awesome regimen! (And AWESOME hair!)

Kurly K

i have it all 3a/b/c my regi is in my fotki...but the texture of my hair is different but idk lol im basically wit flowerhair on the regi

Shadiyah

I am just finding this out about my hair but I co wash everyday. I am just getting to fall in love with my curls after wanting to be straight all my life. I found a product that really locks in my curls and I think this is going to be the one. I tried those powders and it took my hair out but I had chemicals in it at the time also.

Anaksunamon

Thanks for starting this thread OP!

Flowerhair I think we have identical hair. LOL! The texture and length, it looks exactly like mine. I do think you have about 4-5 inches on me though.

I wash my hair like Flowerhair. I just shampoo the scalp, I feel the same way she does in that when I rinse it can take care of the rest.

I currently LOVE HE long term relationship. For now once I am finished washing and conditioning my hair in the shower with light finger combing. I wring it out by hand then towel dry. After that I start at the ends with the HE leave-in treatment. I do a second application starting about halfway up the shafts and down over the ends again. I also use a little at the top of the hair shafts all the way back down to the tips.

After that I use hair grease, either Ultra Sheen or Silk Effects ONLY. I again go over my ends. Then again from midway back over the ends and a little bit on top. I do not like anything on my scalp, but I am willing to try some Indian oils in the near future.

When I color my hair to get rid of white hairs I saturate more grease in it than normal and keep it braided for a few days, it always comes out really soft, but much much straighter. My hair does not hold the curls well unless its the same exact day I washed my hair.

I do not wash often. I go as long as possible, 7-10 days usually. I even tried waterless shampoo but it was a bust. As long as I apply some leave-in and hair grease everyday my hair is fine. I am a bit obsessed with hair grease. I feel like all my hair will break off if I don't use it. I also don't like the volume it gets when I don't use it.

I want to do a henna rinse but have not received it in the mail yet. I am attracted to the premonition that it makes the strands stronger. I recently started some basic hair vitamins and amino acid pills, I'm trying to get past a hump I seemed to have reached and its working. I have about 2-3 inches to hit tail-bone right now.

I always air dry. I do not own a hairdryer. In fact I thought about getting one to straighten my hair easier with the flatiron and three times I took the blow-dryers back. I haven't touched the flat iron either in a few weeks. If the henna / coconut / lime juice thing works I will NEVER touch one again. I never straightened it bone straight anyway, I like big waves.

It's tuff to do roller sets due to length. But when I did straighten it I would get the ends into big rollers at least and some of these side layers I had cut but am now growing out.

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
I'm 3b/3c still trying to find a regimen since I'm transitioning. I have not seen my natural hair for 10 years. I'm using ayurveda powders with cheap conditioners which helps soften the new growth and decrease breakages.

mariofmagdal

I am 3a/3b. I wash and deep condition weekly. I do not use heat airdry only. I co-wash at least twice a week. I whole head baggy nightly using
S-Curl activator. I moisturize my hair daily with aloe vera gel and QP mango butter. I wear a protective style, my hair is always bunned.

Anaksunamon

Thanks for your compliments and visiting my Fokti!

Pokahontas, I love your various beauty tips. I used to have a manager that would call me Pocahontas in front of everyone and on the intercom. It was a Golden Corral restaurant when I was in high school and college. :perplexed

Now it makes me laugh though. :grin:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I don't get this curl typing thing and I've been on the boards for almost a decade! I think of myself as a 3b/c but I see similarities in my hair and some of those posted here. At any rate, it's nice to see your hairstyles!

Anaksunamon - your hair is beautiful. I think I'm a shorter version. I love your braided protective style - I have a similar one:

http://keepitsimplesista.ning.com/photo/braid-into-bun?context=user

Of course, Poka and Flowerhair are longtime hair idols!

My ever evolving regimen is here:
http://keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Dionne

Last edited:

Anaksunamon

Wavesncurls, yes I agree we have the same hair texture as well. I don't fully understand the curl system either I just use people's whose hair looks like mine to gauge it.

Flowerhair, LOL! Now I just need your length!

Isn't it amazing I finally find women all over the world with similar hair but not in real life??? The internet is GREAT!:grin:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Wavesncurls, yes I agree we have the same hair texture as well. I don't fully understand the curl system either I just use people's whose hair looks like mine to gauge it.

Flowerhair, LOL! Now I just need your length!

Isn't it amazing I finally find women all over the world with similar hair but not in real life??? The internet is GREAT!:grin:

THIS IS SO TRUE. I never found so many "twins" until I came online!:cheers: