question for all 3s

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
hey everyone...
there is so much confusion between what makes your hair 3a vs 3b vs 3c. what do YOU personally think is the difference between them?

i think 3a hair has big, loose, defined curls. 3b curls are smaller than 3a. there is not much shrinkage. i don't think there is much difference in length when 3b curls are straightened. 3c curls can vary in size but there is a lot of shrinkage and tends to have more volume.

one thing i think that all 3s have in common is the ability to get bone or relaxer-like straight hair without chemicals (certainly not everyone's goal or desire). 3s may use chemicals to reduce the volume but not necessarily to get the hair strands straight.

that's my opinion.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
swirl said:
one thing i think that all 3s have in common is the ability to get bone or relaxer-like straight hair without chemicals (certainly not everyone's goal or desire). 3s may use chemicals to reduce the volume but not necessarily to get the hair strands straight.

that's my opinion.
this could go for type 4's too!

Andre's hair typing system is bologna!:look:

Tai

I agree with you, Swirl. I think the biggest difference between 3b and 3c is the shrinkage issue.

One thing that I have noticed in my transition is how silky my natural hair is, both straight and curly. It's much silkier now than it ever was when I was texturized. When I texturized it wasn't to help my hair get straight. It got straight easily with a little heat. It was solely to reduce the volume and thickness of my hair.

I don't think that Andre's hair typing is bad. But like everything, it can't be all things to all people. It can be helpful in creating a regimen and finding out which products and styling techniques work best for your hair.

blkmaryland

I also agree with Swirl.......I am currently transitioning and I can straightern my new growth by using the ponytail air-dry method. If I want bone straight, I touch up the roots with my ceramic iron. When I finish, you can't tell the difference between my natural hair and relaxed hair.

Tru_Mind

Really, I don't think Andre's system is confusing to me. The definition of type 3b is on point to me, because it completely describes my hair type. I really don't think that anyone can read his book and not identify with a hair type. He does say that different hair types can exist on one head. And we see that is does.

It became confusing when other websites adjusted Andre's system and made it their own. This has everyone re-thinking their hair type.

3a- when long its loose fat curls...when cut short it's completely straight.

3b- medium curls to tight corkscrews with mixed textures. 3b heads can have medium curls, tight curls, waves, or fat loose curls...one or more of these textures mixed on one head. When cut short it still has the same curl...more or less.

3b does not look the same on all heads. No hair type looks the same on every head because of the mixtures. Some have more of one type than the other.

3c-???? I believe that some 3c's are actually 3b's and others are 4a's and. Maybe even a combo of the 3b/4a. I guess this is why 3c was added. I believe 3c is actually 3b/4a. 4a's has curls too.

Yeah, you’re right Poohbear! Some type 4's can relate to type 3's easily. Some type 4's hair are easily straightened without chemicals.

Kalani

swirl said:
one thing i think that all 3s have in common is the ability to get bone or relaxer-like straight hair without chemicals (certainly not everyone's goal or desire). 3s may use chemicals to reduce the volume but not necessarily to get the hair strands straight.that's my opinion.

Thats why I relax. I love my curls but they are way too voluminous for my taste! Relaxing also helps tame the thickness.
My hair is still curly after a relaxer. The curls are just a more "subdued" version. :lol:

Tai

I see what you're saying, too, TruMind. The parts of my hair that I call 3c look similar to the 3b parts but it just shrinks up more.

songbyrd517

I'm glad Andre's system works for you tru_mind, but it seems that you may be an exception. Lucky you :) It seems that a lot of us don't really fit into Andre's system, myself included. I don't know if I'm a 3c, a 3c/4a, a 3b/4a, a 3b, or whatever. I just know I fall into the 3's somewhere, and maybe even into 4a. I'm still a little early in my transition, however. I just have... weird hair :whyme:

Tru_Mind

songbyrd517 said:
I'm glad Andre's system works for you tru_mind, but it seems that you may be an exception. Lucky you :) It seems that a lot of us don't really fit into Andre's system, myself included. I don't know if I'm a 3c, a 3c/4a, a 3b/4a, a 3b, or whatever. I just know I fall into the 3's somewhere, and maybe even into 4a. I'm still a little early in my transition, however. I just have... weird hair :whyme:
Wait until you finish transitioning. I'm sure that you will be able to tell then.

SilkyandSmooth

swirl said:
i think 3a hair has big, loose, defined curls. 3b curls are smaller than 3a. there is not much shrinkage. i don't think there is much difference in length when 3b curls are straightened. 3c curls can vary in size but there is a lot of shrinkage and tends to have more volume.

I tend to agree with this. :)

Tai

Songbyrd, you'll probably find it easier to figure out your hair type once you have more new growth. It can be difficult to tell if you haven't been natural in awhile or don't have three or more inches of natural hair. I have "weird" hair, too.

BLESSED1

Hmm....Tai you're making me think that I may be a 3b, I have some brand new hair growth courtesy of using surge on thinning/scarce temple areas and it fits what you said, and my hair is borderline wavy in the crown area, corkscrew curly everywhere else now that I have almost a year's worth of new growth. Can't wait to see how the texture is though after I cut off my relaxed ends, since I know that that can alter the natural texture by weighing it down and making it appear less curly/wavy than what it actually is...

Tru_Mind

Tai said:
I see what you're saying, too, TruMind. The parts of my hair that I call 3c look similar to the 3b parts but it just shrinks up more.
Exactly Tai! I believe that those hairs that shrink up more are what he calls the tight corkscrews. You may have a lot of corkscrews which leads to a lot of shrinkage, or a little corkscrew which leads to a little shrinkage.

divine

I don't really know, except I have a lot of corkscrews and the back of the hair is getting really loose...

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think the biggest difference is the size of the curls.
3a is curls that border on being waves.
3b is the typical Shirley Temple-corkscrews.
3c is like a b but smaller curls or like a 4a but bigger curls.
At least that's what I think :D

And I do think that 3b hair shrinks a lot too, all curls and waves do. IMO that has more to do with the weight of the hair strands as well.

Tru_Mind

FlowerHair said:
I think the biggest difference is the size of the curls.
3a is curls that border on being waves.
3b is the typical Shirley Temple-corkscrews.
3c is like a b but smaller curls or like a 4a but bigger curls.
At least that's what I think :D

And I do think that 3b hair shrinks a lot too, all curls and waves do. IMO that has more to do with the weight of the hair strands as well.

I agree, curls and waves shrink too, maybe not as much as corkscrews though. I believe that heavy hair pulls the curls and/or corkscrews down to look like wavy hair too. Some may have 3b hair that looks more wavy than curly, because it is weighted down.

And hair maybe heavy because of its thick strands, or because its long.

Dolapo

I think im a 3c/4a. My curls aren't really tight and when wet, its wavy and stays wavy if i dont comb it while it's damp. Im relaxed though.

gogo

pardon the threadjack but I'm pretty sure I'm a 3c with maybe some 4a (bangs/crown dries more frizzy than curly) but was wondering if any NATURAL 3's get straight results from roller sets? I'm working with my true natural texture for the first time in my adult life (after almost 30 yrs. of relaxing) and other than buns or braid outs haven't a clue!) Looking for a little variety! TIA

Tai

I'm not completely natural yet but I know my natural hair does not get straight from rollersets alone. The wave is greatly reduced but it's still very much there. I need to either have the natural part blown out or flat ironed to get it straight.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
gogo said:
pardon the threadjack but I'm pretty sure I'm a 3c with maybe some 4a (bangs/crown dries more frizzy than curly) but was wondering if any NATURAL 3's get straight results from roller sets? I'm working with my true natural texture for the first time in my adult life (after almost 30 yrs. of relaxing) and other than buns or braid outs haven't a clue!) Looking for a little variety! TIA

i never thought that my curly hair could get straight with a roller set until i went to a dominican shop for the first time. my roots were still wavy b/c the set was not very tight, though. i was shocked to say the least.