WHAT WENT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azalia

Right now I'm really fustrated because my hair is shedding too much /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I can just touch my hair and I will see at least 4 to 5 strands of hair in my hands. I think I'm just trying too much S**T. I don't want to go to the salon to pay just to shampoo my hair. I think Carmela hit a good point on the thread about Curling Irons and Blow Drying the hair. I can't really put my finger on the problem because I have too much going on. Also I have a lot of new growth. Like you Londondiva my hair grows out close to 3 weeks. I got my relaxer Dec 31 and I can't comb through my hair at all. This is my regimen to the date.

Vitamin Regimen
3mg of MSM Jarrows
Flaxseed Oil
Silica
Biotin 5mg Country Life
Maxi-Hair Country Life 2X
B-Right Jarrows 1X
L-Cysteine 1X

Shampoo and Conditon 2xs a week
I could have possibly went wrong on this regimen. I shampoo with MB shampoo and conditoner and then I use ORS MAYO as a deep condtioner or Mizani moisturefuse. I use this regimen twice a week. I also used the Nixon shampoo and conditoner last week due to the over shedding. I use Vitatress Biotin Cream(I hope I spelled that right) and the FBooster by Nioxin in the thin areas every other day. I mist my hair with Pantene detangler to soften up the new growth or S-Curl no drip activator to seal moisture. I also use Vaseline or the pure sulfur Wonder Gro or Profective mega growth on the ends. After every shampoo I will lightly oil my scalp with the Wonder Gro pure sulfur or the Biotin cream or Wild Growth. Aphogee has always worked for me but not this time, my hair is still coming out. To make it really scary I was showing a property yesterday and my scalp was tingling and I just scratched a little and I saw 3 small strands on my fingers with a little white on the very ends and noticed that these hairs came out from the ROOOT /images/graemlins/cry3.gif /images/graemlins/cry3.gif /images/graemlins/cry3.gif /images/graemlins/cry3.gif
My hair is growing but I'm not retaing the length. My hair don't look real thin it's just sheddding profusely. I think I'm just going to stop taking so many vitamins and just take Maxi-Hair biotin and a b5 I really need a good brand of b5 I don't think the B-Right is doing it's job and L-Cystien. Should I relax now because I have alot of new growth or should I hold out until the full 8 weeks? I wear my hair in a bun everyday and I make sure that I oil the ends everyday I don't use blow driers or curling irons anymore just roller set and air dry. I'm trying to make sure I don't leave anything out Oh! I rollerset on Fridays and air dry on Tuesdays . That is it in a nut shell PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE. /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

A

AmilLion

Maybe your problem could be due to using a protein conditioner twice a week. Try cutting down on the protein first, IMO. You may see a difference.

Also, your hair could be in the stage of naturally shedding.

Allandra

How much protein does ORS MAYO and Mizani Moisturefuse contain? Using a protein conditioner and/or treatment twice a week may be too much. Is your conditioner giving your hair a lot of slip (making your hair easy to comb through)? Hopefully the Elucence conditioner is doing that (since it works for so many people - including me). Since your hair is growing and you aren't retaining the length, it sounds like it also breaking (not just shedding). I would keep the ends moisturized with a good moisturizer. The Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer is good. Have you ever thought about making your routine easier (using less products)? Like Adrienne says, "less is more". I would try using one shampoo, one conditioner (with lots of slip), one leave-in conditioner (if you use one) and a good moisturizer (a water based moisturizer, not oil) and keep your hair in a bun (air drying it). I use oil on my hair from time-to-time, but I never use it by itself (because oil by itself never moisturized my hair). My hair is much better off with a good moisturizer. When you do roller sets, are you noticing a lot of hair in the comb? As far as your vitamin routine, I'm not familiar with B-Right Jarrows or L-Cysteine. Are you stressed? Stress can cause the hair to shed more than normal. Some people shed more in the colder months. And when you say your hair is shedding too much, how much are you talking about?

sweetcocoa

I agree with both AmilLion and Allandra. Before I came to the boards I didn't realize you could over due the protein. I was using Fantasia IC Reconstructor 1-2 times a week. Once I learned that was bad I stopped right away. I stuck to once a month for a long time after that. I also am one of those people who feel "less is more..." The less I do as far as manipulation the better off my hair seems.

beana3

hmm could it be that you are using too many products in your weekly regime??? I had that problem, the Tracy advised that i try to simplify my routine and get a core of products (1 shamp, 1 or 2 condits, 1 leave in, 1 weekly styling aid) and stick with that for a while.
Well...... it worked wonders! my shedding/breakage has been kept at a minimum lately and i believe its because i wasn't loading products onto my hair. My hair attracts dirt very easily, AND im heavy handed with products. I've found that product build-up can be my hair's worse enemy.

And to add to what everyone else has said, some people acan use ORS weekly without any problems (like myself). I dont even use a moisturizing condit after it and i have not noticed ANY negative effects of doing so to this date.
Maybe if you feel , you need reconstrucors in your regime yopu could reduce the frequency of times u use the ORS per month, trying slowing it down to once weekly or even biweekly.

Excatly HOW does your hair feel after the conditioning treatments?????

TsAngel

My first suggestion would be decrease your ORS(protein) usage. Now the question, when was your last touch up? I am one who can go 8-10 weeks b4 a touch up but not everone can do that. The two textures in conjunction with daily handling can wreak havoc on the hair. I, also, noticed that you do not use hot oil treatments. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. Hot oil treatments help with shedding.

If you still are have some problems after modifying your regimen, page Mahalialee. She has an awesome copyrighted recipe, Limolastic Liquid. I'm not exaggerating either. I had some serious shedding last year and used her recipe and the shedding stopped immediately and I haven't had a problem since.

HTH,
TsAngel
/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Azalia

Thank you guys for all of your advise /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I guess I was using protein too much because I'm trying to use all of the good products. From now on I will just stick to the Elucence line. I got a relaxer Dec 31 and I am scheduled to get my relaxer on Tuesday I called and scheduled an appointment after I posted this morning. I have so much new growth I can't comb through my hair. I am actually surprised that my hair has grown this much without the sew-in weave but it is totally unmanageable. I really need a good leave in. I really don't like the creamy ones because it makes my hair too greasy. I will send Mahalialee a pm after I go to the salon. I have this stylist and she is real good I stop going to her thinking I could handle this hair thing on my own. She told me would get me back on the right track. I told her about the other stylist cutting all of my hair off and she was so mad she just went off because she really was into to trying to grow my hair and I told her about the board and she believes in vitamins and hair care so hopefully she will hook me up and if the shedding continues then I will get Mahalialee recipe. I will get this undercontrol. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif. Thanks Ladies /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

EmeraldSky

Everyone has answered your question so much better than I could, but one thing I wanted to add is that some amount of shedding is natural. According to what I've been told normal shedding (not breakage) can vary from 50 to 100 hair per day. Good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Hi Azalia,

I don't have much more to add to what the ladies said, but wanted to wish you good luck. I'm sure it's all going to be o.k. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tracy

Ditto to what all the ladies said - especially about the product loading. Try one of each of your best products - shampoo, conditioner, leave in ( I like Motions Nourishing Leave In - a watery spray /images/graemlins/wink.gif ), a light oil for occasional lubrication, and a water based moisturizer. I'd even lay off the scalp treatments for now - all that tingling and stuff is making me think that your scalp might be irritated or overstimulated or something. Hardly a scientific theory of any sort - just a thought. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck Chica... (fingers crossed)