Here for the bizness

LaidBak

OK I am a newbie. I didn't see a place specifically for introductory posts; so I am placing it here beacause I need tips. I'm here for the business of growing my hair out. I've been reading this forum as a guest for about a week. I've come up with a regimen based on what I've read and I'd like feedback from knowledgable members. My issues include fine (although dense), dry hair, dullness, breakage, snapping off, scraggly ends, shedding, thinning hair line, and all that.

Current regimen:
shampoo/condition with assorted drugstore stuff, approx. every 3rd day
Leave-in condition w/Pantene light spray conditioner
moisturize with assorted drugstore shine serums
relax every 4-5 weeks (if I don't it will break off at the new growth point)
5000 mcg Biotin daily
ionic blowdry after partial airdry
bump the ends w/curling iron-- flat iron when I really need to be cute :)

Proposed new regimen:
Aphogee shampoo/conditioner/reconstructer as needed to counteract the dryness (although I am looking for a good sulfate free shampoo)
Pantene leave-in conditioner spray to detangle
Wild Growth Oil post shampoo
a jojoba/castor/ safflower/vitamin E oil mix for daily use
Biotin/Vitamin B5/garlic tabs for shedding (from the OCT/MT thread)
Ovation and Mega Tek (is this overkill?)
Gonna try to always air dry (but seriously, who has time for this?)
Keep the heat to a minimum
Lye Relaxers from now on (self relax monthly, pro relax 3 times a yr)
--I now use Mizani Butter Rhelaxer, my stylist uses Affirm

Questions:
How do you tie your hair up at night? I can't stand "the wrap" anymore. I don't want my hair angled toward my face on one side and away on the other. But I need to protect my poor ends when I am asleep.

What does it mean when y'all reply to a post with "bump"?

Besides a french twist, any suggestions for "protective styles" for short hair? I have to wear my hair up while in my military uniform. I think my ponytails are responsible for most of my breakage.

I read about the "ponytail method", is that basically just putting your hiar in a ponytail to let it air dry?

OK Sistas, please begin with your sage advice...

I just wanted to stop by and say welcome!

I'm not relaxed so I won't give you any advice. I will say that relaxing every 4-5 weeks is generally considered too often on this board. I think you will gain a lot of useful information about stretching your relaxer so that your hair won't break off at the line of demarcation. You could try searching "stretching", "stretch", "relaxer stretching/stretch".

When people post "bump" in a thread it moves it up to the first page (because a new post has been added). Usually it's done so that more people will see it and respond.

Anyway, welcome and happy hair growing!

Last edited:
OK I am a newbie. I didn't see a place specifically for introductory posts; so I am placing it here beacause I need tips. I'm here for the business of growing my hair out. I've been reading this forum as a guest for about a week. I've come up with a regimen based on what I've read and I'd like feedback from knowledgable members. My issues include fine (although dense), dry hair, dullness, breakage, snapping off, scraggly ends, shedding, thinning hair line, and all that.

Current regimen:
shampoo/condition with assorted drugstore stuff, approx. every 3rd day
Leave-in condition w/Pantene light spray conditioner
moisturize with assorted drugstore shine serums
relax every 4-5 weeks (if I don't it will break off at the new growth point)
5000 mcg Biotin daily
ionic blowdry after partial airdry
bump the ends w/curling iron-- flat iron when I really need to be cute :)

Proposed new regimen:
Aphogee shampoo/conditioner/reconstructer as needed to counteract the dryness (although I am looking for a good sulfate free shampoo)
Pantene leave-in conditioner spray to detangle
Wild Growth Oil post shampoo
a jojoba/castor/ safflower/vitamin E oil mix for daily use
Biotin/Vitamin B5/garlic tabs for shedding (from the OCT/MT thread)
Ovation and Mega Tek (is this overkill?)
Gonna try to always air dry (but seriously, who has time for this?)
Keep the heat to a minimum
--I now use Mizani Butter Rhelaxer, my stylist uses Affirm

Questions:
How do you tie your hair up at night? I can't stand "the wrap" anymore. I don't want my hair angled toward my face on one side and away on the other. But I need to protect my poor ends when I am asleep.

Besides a french twist, any suggestions for "protective styles" for short hair? I have to wear my hair up while in my military uniform. I think my ponytails are responsible for most of my breakage.

I read about the "ponytail method", is that basically just putting your hiar in a ponytail to let it air dry?

OK Sistas, please begin with your sage advice...
you need to stop relaxing this often. your hair will not break if you moisturize properly. shine serums are NOT moisturizers. you need a moisturizer like keracare hairdress, ORS olive oil moisturizer, jane cater nourish and shine or shea butter.
also i dont think you should shampoo every 3 days but i guess thats ok as long as you deep condition.

Hello and welcome!!

Questions:
How do you tie your hair up at night? I can't stand "the wrap" anymore. I don't want my hair angled toward my face on one side and away on the other. But I need to protect my poor ends when I am asleep. I tie my head up with a silk scarf in a bun..i bun every day all day so , i sleep with a loose bun as well pinned and no scrunchie or elastic

try a bun without the elastic, or maybe a phony bun or phony pony..
pony tail method for rollersetting? thats when you ponytail ur hair off in a few sections and rollerset the hair in the actual pony tail...resulting in straiter roots and a much easier roller set..

Do u have a good moisturizing conditioner in mind?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to LHCF.

Im sorry to hear about your hair, but you came to the right place. Im also in the military and the wet bunning has help me alot. I make sure to super soak my pony tail in moisturizer, and triples soaked my ends in it as well and seal it with Vatika Frosting. I haven't had no problem. I make sure my ponytail is not to tight, therefore my bun is loose, so there is no error for breakage. Also putting a ponytail holder over my bun as help for when I outside, therefore my ends are not drying out.

Thats just the way that I bun.

Welcome to da bizznizzzz!!! Have success on your hair journey! Oh the people you'll meet!!! The things you'll see!! The hair your you'll grow!!

It'll be MAH-velous....just MAHvelous dahling!!

Happy Hair Growing!

Hi and Welcome.
I think you could start by just going the simple route and see if that works. If I were you ( I am not pushing anything!) I would try to relax every 6-8 weeks.Start with small steps, and add a week each time. Shampoo with something gentle. What about organix coconut shampoo. I would deep con with something moisturizing. I would not go on the protien over load because that can make hard, dry, brittle hair. so,after shampooing go under the dryer for about 20 minutes with a moisturizing con, then let your hair cool. Rinse with warm water and do a quick cold rinse.
I would use the pantene detangler and a light leave in con. You can use a little of your conditioner as a leave in and seal with oil.
At night just place some oil, satin rollers and tie a scarf. GEt up in the morning and tie up and do that until next wash day.
I do not use mega tek?? so, I can not comment on that. I see that it a protien based produst?? so, use with caution. I say stick with moisture until you see an improvenment!
Some moisturizing products are Kenra, keracare and there are some drugstore ones, too. Just keep away from products that say "repair" these tend to be protien based. hth and good luck!

Last edited:
you need to stop relaxing this often. your hair will not break if you moisturize properly. shine serums are NOT moisturizers. you need a moisturizer like keracare hairdress, ORS olive oil moisturizer, jane cater nourish and shine or shea butter.
also i dont think you should shampoo every 3 days but i guess thats ok as long as you deep condition.

This is a really good moisturizer.....i currently use this as my moisturizer.

Once you get a good deep conditioning regimen going....you will not need to relax that often.:drunk:

Try ORS Replenishing Paks....it keeps your hair balanced.

You basically need

A co-washing conditioner
A moisturizing shampoo
A clarifying shampoo
A deep conditioner
A source of protein for your hair once a month at least
A moisturizer
A good oil to seal in your moisturizer on your ends.....Coconut Oil is my dawg!!:yep::yep:

Take all of this....and make a regimen that fits your schedule....or like i did when i first started out....join a challenge that interests you. It'll keep you focused.

:hiya:and Welcome. Che Baby's advice is all good. She hit on many of the issues that jumped out to me immediately too.

Issues: include fine (although dense), dry hair, dullness, breakage, snapping off, scraggly ends, shedding, thinning hair line, and all that.

All these are indicative of OverProcessing :badgirl: Relaxers once a month....You gotta stop that.!! Really you should immediately change to Every other month- to start and try to push it even longer than that. after you get used to doing it that way. 12 to 16 weeks try it in the future.

First things first - I suggest that you start a fotki photo album so that you can document and keep track of your progress and set backs. it is a valuable tool because it allows you to go back and see how far you've come and also see what things you've tried in the past and how you felt about them.
Using assorted stuff may not agree with your hair. Sometimes you need to stick with products for a while to see the benefits.
every 3rd day - Sounds Perfect - as long as you're using a moisturizing poo and following with a good moisturizing conditioner! And deep conditioning once a week

moisturize with assorted drugstore shine serums -These do not moisturize and are very heavy silicones that may indeed be keeping the moisture out of your hair. You do not have to eliminate these totally but you should make an adjustment in this area.

relax every 4-5 weeks (if I don't it will break off at the new growth point) - We're all gonna jump all over this one. Sounds like sure fire overprocessing. We'll try to help you correct & eliminate the breakage.

ionic blowdry after partial airdry - Sounds fine. I don't thinks it's necessary to fully eliminate Heat. You just have to use it in moderation.

bump the ends w/curling iron-- flat iron - This is when you can use those shine serums Silicone is a great heat protectant. Also are you using Ceramic flat irons? they tend to do less damage.

Proposed new regimen:
Aphogee shampoo/conditioner/reconstructer as needed to counteract the dryness (although I am looking for a good sulfate free shampoo) - Be careful with the Aphogee line it is very drying (in my experience) I still feel like one of the greatest cheap moisturizing poos is Cream of Nature. Even the new formula. A few others are suave humectant and Aussie Moist.

Wild Growth Oil post shampoo - You know this only goes on your scalp right. Don't use it as a hair oil. For a hair oil, look into using Pure Coconut oil, Extra Virgin Olive oil, Castor oil or someting like that.

a jojoba/castor/ safflower/vitamin E oil mix for daily use That sounds like a good mix but monitor your use, you may not need it every day.

Make sure you base your scalp really well and try not to take too long to apply and smooth it.

Questions:
How do you tie your hair up at night
you can try a cross wrap, I'll try to look it up for you.
It's hard to give advice on this without knowing the length of your hair.

Bumping is just reposting in the thread so that it is bumped back up to the currently active threads since the default for this forum sorts them by latest activity. If someone posts a thread at 10 in the morning, then by 6 when everyone is home, it could be burried 3 pages deep in the thread window and lots of people will never see it.. Bumping will bring it back to the top.

Are you allowed to wear braids or cornrows? I know some posts are strict about braids and others are flexible. - With pony tails, try not to make them too tight, and try to put them in different positions from week to week. Higher or lower on your head and even left or right this way the stress is not always concentrated in the same exact place.

Nowhere in your post did you mention Moisturizing creams.
You might want to look into Creams and Butters.
Most of us are in love with Mango Butter, Shea Butter and Avacado Butters.

You must also incorporate some Deep conditioning. Once a week should do it. The cheap effective poduct is Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing PAck.

Please do not hesitate to send Personal Messagess to ladies in order to ask questions and seek advice. Most everyone is very responsive to PMs and it may get you answers faster than threads that can easily be overlooked.

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't expect to get so much information so quickly. Thank you all!! I hereby pledge to try and not relax again until right before New Year's Eve (got to be cute for the party:) ) I've got to go through all of these posts and take notes.

What is "co-washing"?
What is meant by "sealing"?

I am looking for a light oil. My hair is so fine that anything heavy just makes it a greasy mess. Then again, I guess that won't matter if I am wearing a bun or something.
The washing every 3rd day I do because my hair just seems to need the water. I ALWAYS condition.
I am trying the silk scarf over the bun thing tonight. Thanks again ladies; keep the advice coming!

Last edited:
Back