Do you get "Hair Competition" from Friends and Family?

*ElleB

Especially from those who've had longer hair in the past.

As in: Once your friends and family members start seeing your hair growing out, they say: "Giirl, your hair is longer than mine now." And then start acting like they can't have that, and try to compete with you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry but this post made me laugh so hard :lachen: I'm not saying nothin! I have a family member (ahem you know who you are) who lurks on various boards now for this exact same reason-- when before they were "stupid" to her.:lol: Everybody's trying to come up now :lol:

Yep. When I began my journey everyone said "you're crazy and obsessed" or "don't you know black hair only grows but so long". Now everybody wanna try to "outgrow" me. Moreso my friends then my fam.

My mom is my competition. She is constantly watching me to see which conditioner I am using on a certain day, how long I let it stay on, and everything else I do.

No not with me ,
Most of my friends and family don't think that it's possible for black hair to grow period.

Last edited:
My Mom seems to be a little "green" with envy :p and I try to help her reach her goals too, but she just won't listen to ANY of my advice--too set in her ways.

I am very competitive, but in a good way. I am happy for other's success and inspired by it.

I have one friend who is like this. I never knew she was competitive about the hair thing until my hair surpassed her former length.

She's not necessarily catty about it, but she always has something to say about my hair when I see her or probes about what I'm doing.

Sistaslick said:

I'm sorry but this post made me laugh so hard :lachen: I'm not saying nothin! I have a family member (ahem you know who you are) who lurks on various boards now for this exact same reason-- when before they were "stupid" to her.:lol: Everybody's trying to come up now :lol:

I know people, friends and a family member too, who do this (lurk) as well and think I do not KNOW that they do it. LOL. Stand UP! Speak UP! It's all good! :look:

Lol, my sis but it is healthy competition. Now that I am on this no heat but once a month kick we made a bet.

She says that at the end of this year she will be BSL just as I will BUT she will continue to use heat and not do all the "extras" that I do. I love it though! She's actually very interested and it added another reason why I want to reach my goal.

I am glad that someone is interested in my whole hair ordeal.

Sistaslick said:

U evil. :eek:

I have a few co workwers that seem to be competitive about hair. I have the longest hair of all the black women in the office. I just don't show it.

I am natural, and when I wear my twists, (my usual style) I wear them done on wet hair and shrunken. They hang to my ears or just a little past.

For Easter, I flat-ironed my hair out and wore it down. It is almost APL, maybe a couple of centimeters from it. (I can reach around my back and grab it).

I walked into the office on Monday and you would have thought I won the lottery/stole something. I know it is unexpected of me to wear my hair this way, but still. There were no lukewarm reactions, just extremes.

I got all kinds of questions about weave, etc. I explained to most people that it was all my hair. (thick and greasy as it was).

I got much lip and disparaging remarks from a couple of black coworkers about it.

One tried to call me out and say it was a wig, a weave, etc. (She tried to grow her hair out using extension braids like I did. Then she proceeded to burn it out with a pressing comb twice a week. Then when it broke off instead of growing, she got a relaxer - still breaking).

The other lady is her ace-boon. So I got no love from her either.

The other black women in my office were really supportive of me. They were surprised at the length and thickness, asked me some questions about products and were cool with it.

The 2 not so cool ladies, hung around and listened to my product choices and said things like:
"That may work for you with that rough hair, but I got a good grade and that might be too harsh for me"

Um, DDTA, cocoshea butter, ORS hair mayo are too harsh?
"I used to wear my hair this long, but I didn't think it looked professional, so I cut it"

Um, was that before you came to work here, 'cause in my 10 years, I've only seen you wear weaves and you just started wearing your hair out in the last 9 months, and it's been jacked up the entire time.

"You might want to get a hot comb and touch up your kitchen, it's looking a bit nappy"

Um, my hair reaches down my back to almost APL, I don't think anyone is going to see or care about the beady-beads in my kitchen. And when I wear it clipped up who cares. Is that the only thing you could find to dog about my hair?

It went on like that for awhile. Ok, so I didn't answer them back like I typed here, I didn't say anything. We weren't playing the dozens, and they just looked stoopid (yeah, stooopid) by just talking. So I let them use all the rope they needed to hang themselves with.

Last edited:
Yup. All the time. Especially now since I'm wearing my hair down on the weekends. They see me in my protective styles during the week and are like...I couldn't do that. Then they see me on the weekends with it down and nice and they straight do double takes! LOLOLOLOL! LOVE IT!

rosie said:
I have a few co workwers that seem to be competitive about hair. I have the longest hair of all the black women in the office. I just don't show it.

I am natural, and when I wear my twists, (my usual style) I wear them done on wet hair and shrunken. They hang to my ears or just a little past.

For Easter, I flat-ironed my hair out and wore it down. It is almost APL, maybe a couple of centimeters from it. (I can reach around my back and grab it).

I walked into the office on Monday and you would have thought I won the lottery/stole something. I know it is unexpected of me to wear my hair this way, but still. There were no lukewarm reactions, just extremes.

I got all kinds of questions about weave, etc. I explained to most people that it was all my hair. (thick and greasy as it was).

I got much lip and disparaging remarks from a couple of black coworkers about it.

One tried to call me out and say it was a wig, a weave, etc. (She tried to grow her hair out using extension braids like I did. Then she proceeded to burn it out with a pressing comb twice a week. Then when it broke off instead of growing, she got a relaxer - still breaking).

The other black women in my office were really supportive of me. They were surprised at the length and thickness, asked me some questions about products and were cool with it.

The 2 not so cool ladies, hung around and listened to my product choices and said things like:

Um, was that before you came to work here, 'cause in my 10 years, I've only seen you wear weaves and you just started wearing your hair out in the last 9 months, and it's been jacked up the entire time.

Um, my hair reaches down my back to almost APL, I don't think anyone is going to see or care about the beady-beads in my kitchen. And when I wear it clipped up who cares. Is that the only thing you could find to dog about my hair?
It went on like that for awhile. Ok, so I didn't answer them back like I typed here, I didn't say anything. We weren't playing the dozens, and they just looked stoopid (yeah, stooopid) by just talking. So I let them use all the rope they needed to hang themselves with.

:lachen: :lachen: :lol: :lol: LOL!!

I applaud the way you handle it!! Brush the haters of rosie!!

I see ladies on my block that look at me funny now that my hair has passed theirs, :lol:...and ask my daughter if that's all mine :lachen:.

Truthfully, Im amazed. I never thought my hair would be anywhere NEAR those women, much less to have passed them...

Yea I've definitely had people try and compete with me. Well go ahead because you're gonna be racing your damn self. I don't do much to my hair at all and I've never measured it so don't ask me how many inches it is because your guess is as good as mine. I can't tell you my regime because I don't have one. I'm not a slave to any product except for shea butter. I just let it go and let it grow.

rosie said:

:eek: :eek:
:mad: U see that is just pisses me off. I know people get competitive but that was just downright mean and nasty....

I have a friend that is natural too. We both started at the same time. My hair has surpassed her hair in lenght. We both went to the same stylist last year for a consultation. The stylist was saying my hair was unhealthy but my friend's hair was healthy. So my friend got cocky and thought she was an expert on hair. I kept telling her to not use heat so much but she didn't listen. I told her I wasn't going to press my hair because it was damaged before from pressing. She went and got a press. She said it changed the ends of her hair. Now when I mention stuff I see her using my tips. I just sit back and laugh. She talks to people with autority on the advice I gave her. She makes product recommendations like she came up on it herself when in reality it was my tip.

rosie said:

:lol::lol::lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

FlyyGyrl said:
Yep. When I began my journey everyone said "you're crazy and obsessed" or "don't you know black hair only grows but so long". Now everybody wanna try to "outgrow" me. Moreso my friends then my fam.

ahahha me too i know fam and friends use to tell me i m crazy and obsessed the pills i pop and everything. But trust me i dont hear i m crazy no more from nobody but everybody in my fam and friends want me to send them my pills and the exact things i take. they use to think black hair cant grow long so i m like wait till you see my hair next year.

i have not taken any pix in a while and about to splurge on viviscal and monistat 3 (?)yeah i said it hahahha i want long hair nowww. but i m extactic. i pull one of my hair in the back and woooow that s the longest it s ever been i m so used to short hair lol i m double the mtg and keep on the vits and all.

Yeah i do have hair competition with an old friend of mine i seen for the first time after 10years, she calls me to ask me what vits to buy and i tell her than she tells me you dont tell me everything cause you dont want me to beat you and have longer hair i was like wtf :confused: that s so not me so when she came over for the weekend i hid all my products hahahhaha:lachen: i was scared she would runaway with some yeah shoplifting i pay money for those things lol i dont mind but she kept telling me i was jealous cause she was shoulder length and that i was scared her hair gets longer than mine. i say to myself you know what just for saying that i m giving you half my secrets and just the products i was using the last year :grin: :D i know i m devilish:mad: but we no longer tight friends anyway cause little remarks like that i hate friends that have a competition spirit like who s better than the other one. i avoid the phone when she calls :cool: or take it once in a while to say platitudes.

Last edited:
I guess I am in the opposite situation. All of my family members have long healthy hair and have always had long hair and I always felt left out, so I on the other hand want to show that I can "hang" with the big girls and have subconsciously created a competition.:lol:

I do have a few "friends" that I can't wait to toss my hair in front of- I know it is petty- but someday, someday! :lachen:

Back