What is the key to the perfect braid/twistout on SL, 4B/C hair?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
who knows? if you do please tell me 'cause I'm doing my best to stay away from the heat and I need some healthier styling options. How do you get your twist out or braidout juicy, wavy and perfect? Thanks in advance :)

I'll take a stab at this.

I do twist outs all-year round, and I place a bit of emphasis on frizz-free twist outs.

I make sure that my hair is adequately moisturized.

I make sure that my twists are firm and taut (but not tight).

I only style with pomades in the summer to minimize frizz.

I keep my twists in for about five days so that I have a well-defined pattern when it's time for the twist out.

If I'm going to wear a twist out for more than one day, I braid the twist out at night to enhance the pattern.

ms-gg is an expert. Her hair twin is as well...can't remember her user name but her pics are in the Everyday Hair thread, I believe...

I'd say twisting with a moisturizing cream or even some gel and castor oil on damp hair and leaving them for a few days gets me my best twist outs.

I was just touching SL before I chopped on the 1st of this month.

The best twist outs are/were flat twist outs on dry, stretched hair--esp if the hair is fine. Wet box style twists and twist outs on fine hair look like dancing tarantulas.

I've been on the quest for this also. I'm not a pusher but I tried this product for my twist out...So I left the twists in for 2 days then wore different twist outs (puff, down, half up) with only re-twisting at night for about 3 days the pics are from the final 3rd day.

-I washed & conditioned my hair, put on my leave in, used the Entwines hydrating butter, then the manipulator, and argan oil/javabean pomade (BASK beauty)
- put in about 16 twists with one flat twist in the front....

-this pic was taken after having my hair out ALL day long in florida humidity

I will now use nothing else to achieve twist outs or everyday hair...my hair was never dry or crispy...

Now If I can learn how to twist better!

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 81
I can do the perfect "loose" braid/twistout cause I don't have a thick density. Ms-gg/frostoppa braidout/twistouts are perfect, but I think it's first because her hair is thick and so dense IMO. I don't have a lot of density, so I always have to set this in a updo :s loose hairstyle are kinda ridiculous on me.

Otherwise, for the definition, flaxseed gel + a butter make a beautiful definition !!

Kimmaytube leavein, KT spritz (leavein plus distilled water) plus aloe vera gel on dry or just damp hair give me the best braid outs. I do between 11 and 16 braids with spiraled perm rods on the end for great definition.

Make sure my hair is well moisturised.

Use a product with great hold (that won't leave your twists crunchy) - to minimize frizz and maximise definition.

I find for me, twisting with wet hair makes for awesome definition when fully dry.

I like to leave twists in for at least 2 days - again, maximises definition.

Hold my hair taut when doing twists. For me personally loose twists = frizz.

I second the loc & twist gel recommendation. I use it on my daughters and their twists/twist outs turn out great!

Shea butter is also a good product to use - I use melted shea butter on wet hair, then twist. Very defined twist out...hair is moisturized and frizz free too.

HTH

The key for my fine hair is protein, and trimmed ends. Enjoy your beautiful twistouts

Frizzy ends they ruin a twist out, even if the length of the hair takes the set perfectly. When I give my hair enough protein to stuff it with moisturizer. My curl definition is amazing, and any product will work.

So does that mean there is no such thing as an over night braids/twists for a braidout on 4b hair?

Nope, I usually do overnight twists for the next day. Like many ladies said before, good moisturizer, frizz reducer and hold product are necessary for me.

Also I find that detangled hair (I use the tangle geezer) for the first set of twists is important for me to get a nice defined twist out. To maintain the style I usually just retwist with a leave in every other day, or as needed.

I use Kinky-Curly Custard (KCC) on both damp and dry hair for my twist-outs. I add a little glycerin to mine for added moisture and reduction of crunch and seal with grease. This stuff makes my curls pop and leaves my hair so touchable and soft! It's a little pricey but not only do I get consistent results from this product, it's concentrated so a little goes a long way...

For me it's using nothing at all on my hair. Just starting with very well-conditioned hair, like I might CW twists and let them airdry. I baggy nightly so they get moisture infusion from that too. When I did that and then undid the twists, I had nice defined twist-out sections that had bounce:

FirstEverTwistOut-vi.jpg

Compare that with the results of trying out the same thing on hair with product on it :nono: I just looked like I came from a home where combs don't exist:

coctioncocoabutterbeeswaxscurl-vi.jpg

I am neck length 4b, and to me the best braidout is after leaving the braids in for at least 2 days. I also baggy the braids everyday in between.
I use a leave in, seal with wheat germ oil, then braid with QH hydrate and twist butter. When i use the same product for overnight braid out i don't get good results.

Here are some pictures of my most recent braid out. I know there are better looking braid out but I only been doing this thing for 3 weeks since my BC. And that's the technique that gives me the most success.

image-601971932.jpg

image-149754482.jpg

image-4032627695.jpg

I do my twists on wet hair if I plan to wear them in a twistout the next day. It helps with definition. If I do them on dry hair, I let them sit a full day before taking them down. They don't last long *for me* when I do them on dry hair

I have recently discovered that twists coupled with a bantu-knot creates the most defined curls on 4b/c hair - a bit of a late discovery, since i'm usually always in braids...

My braidouts and twist outs look best when I start with damp hair and let it dry over night or leave the twists in for a few days. Also, my hair has to be well moisturized to start with.

Back