What has been your most successful way to style your natural hair while growing it out ?

What natural hairstyles do you use consistently to retain length.

• Protective styles with your real hair

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Wash and gos

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Extension braids

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Wigs

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Locs

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Heat-trained

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Twist outs/ braid outs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Buns

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Low manipulation styles

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • High or low puffs

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

levette

Please share what styling method you do consistently to retain length. How long did it take your hair to get to the desired length.

oneastrocurlie

Wash and gos. I don't have a desired length. I'm kinda growing it until I get to a length that's more than I want to deal with. I'm also getting trims/shape ups as needed. I've been growing out my taper (shaved sides and back) for 3 years.

levette

so protective styling is key :rolleyes::afro:. I do love wearing it as a afro at home though. I havent wore an afro in public yet

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Even though I'm not at my goal length, I find I am best able to retain length with my stretched (or non-shrunken) hair in a protective style.

In the winter, I do cornrows or mini braids under a wig. Spring, I heat style and put in a bun. In summer and fall, mini braids or braid extensions that I put in an updo or bun.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Braids with extension hair work well for me.
I do them myself, switching between box braids, faux locs, and twists, and I redo them about every 4-6 weeks.
But moisture is really key with this method.

I'm not at my goal length because I spent too much time being lazy and chilling at APL.
Like moisturizing sporadically and not consistently tying up my hair at night, even though I know better lol.
Last year, I gave myself a good deep cut and switched to a routine closer to the crown and glory method, which has made a big difference.
I'm almost BSL now, and am hoping to hit my final goal of MBL with full, healthy ends in another year. Maybe two, depending.