What inspires you?

H

HoneyRockette

What inspires you to keep up your hair routine more- seeing a woman with really nice healthy hair or seeing a woman with really bad damaged hair? I think seeing a woman with bad hair inspires me to stick to my guns more. Although seeing a woman with nice hair gives me something to look forward to, I know that if I slack off my hair will look like the woman with really bad hair and that is worse. The reason why I say this is because I just took my "inspiration" picture for my braids- a picture of myself with short frizzy hair! If ever I get lazy with my braids I can refer to this picture to keep me in line. That inspires me more than keeping a picture of Wanakee or Aaliyah around.

iris

Great question HOneyRockette. I get inspired when I see a woman with a beautiful head of hair. In my area there are alot of Dominican women walking around with hair to just die for! The thickness, length, luster, is a winning trio for me. This is what keeps me very inspired to say the least.

LuvableLady

What has inspired me was stumbling across the growafrolong Website and hearing the hair ladies testimony. Before then, I couldn't careless about hair but, she got me to thinking. I have only been interested in growing longer hair for about 1 month now.

She made me to want to grow afro hair long by being so positive, her before and after pictures (I mean she went from shoulder length hair to waist length hair in 2 years) and her telling me that I can do it to. Also, all the free info helped me to want to try it and it helped me to learn a skill that I never knew I had, the art of extension braiding. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rayne

For me, it's seeing someone else with pretty hair. I've always been into healthy hair but I often slack on my routines. So when I see someone with nice hair, I think to myself "oh, I want to have pretty hair too!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif then I'll pull out pics of myself when I had nice hair, or of other people for instant motivation. I can be pretty vain and I love it when people compliment my hair, so this method works well for me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Women w/hair that's just out of order!!!! Tracks, thin lifeless hair, overprocessed, overdyed, dried out hair, hair that looks more like a helmet than hair (y'all know what I mean, that hair that doesn't move, it sits there like a monument, the person can move swing their head, nod, but that hair stays in place, just as stiff as ever!)
That's the kind of stuff that makes me say, "Yeah I have got to do better than this".... Also my mother, and aunts with their long hair have inspired me to pursue one of my God given gifts. Not to abuse it.

hairfanatic

What inspires me is seeing women with beautiful hair. That's why I not only keep a hair journal with my own hair but I have a giant binder hair journal full of pictures of Wanakee, Aaliyah, Janet Jackson, Tweet, Ashanti and Kenya Moore. These women let me know that being an African American woman, long beautiful hair IS achievable.

L

legs71

What inspires me is to see a woman with hair of any length whether long or short that is very healthy. I used to think people were born with "nice" hair(foolish me!)without realizing that beautiful hair takes time and effort. Also this board and the motivation each and every one of you give inspires me to the extent that I KNOW I can have beautiful hair.

rayne

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That's why I not only keep a hair journal with my own hair but I have a giant binder hair journal full of pictures of Wanakee, Aaliyah, Janet Jackson, Tweet, Ashanti and Kenya Moore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairfanatic, I used to have one of those too, but I lost it when I moved /images/graemlins/mad.gif I need to hurry up and start another one so that I can stop going on-line and peeking at some of the women's hair on this forum and other boards /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiadodie

You know what really inspires me?? Looking at pictures of my hair like 5 years ago. It was so nice and full and taken for granted:-(

hairfanatic

Hairfanatic, I used to have one of those too, but I lost it when I moved I need to hurry up and start another one so that I can stop going on-line and peeking at some of the women's hair on this forum and other boards

[/ QUOTE ]

They are really great to have especially when you want to compare the use of products, length and to just keep you from doing something stupid that will mess up your hair. The stupid thing I do is constant cutting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Who did you have in your journal?

henrilou

The hair sites inspire me alot. When I am tempted to relax, I remember my broken hair or my hair with thin spots in the back and how stringy it was. People on the street inspire me: if their hair is good or bad, I notice it.

Mahalialee4

The most inspiring thing to me is the picture I have in my mind of how I look with super thick, super long hair that is healthy, moist and no layers in it. Of dark hair that looks like a rich mink cape. What ever I do to my hair, I keep that thought in mind. I even created a copyrighted product called of all things, "Mink" as part of my "Private Collection. I have bought hair toys and crocheted my "Jewel of the Nile" Egyptian hair snoods for my hair and purchase my combs and brushes, hair pins etc. as if my hair was already there. I treat my hair as if it were waistlength. That reminds me to handle my hairshaft carefully to preserve the ends; to comb and brush it properly, and to keep it strong and moisturized. Thinking and acting this way, cuts down my anxiety attacks about not being there, but I am getting there. Hope of achieving is my inspiration. Bonjour.

Valerie

Reading various hair books written in a very positve way, such as Pam Ferrell, Cathy Howse, Lonnice Brittenum Bonner, Lisa Alkbari, and going the various sites.
Honey Rockette your picture looks very lovely, your hair looks lovely and thick. Congratualtions on your work.

Tea

What inspires me is seeing the ladies and young girls at my church with full healthy waist length hair. I figure if they can do it so can I.

rayne

Who did you have in your journal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairfanatic, I actually didn't have too many celebrities in my journal. I mainly had hair models from magazines. That way, I felt my goals were more realistic. But, I had Vanessa L. Williams, Janet Jackson, and I think Tia and Tamera Mowery. My favorite and most inspiring pic, was one of this young lady from the Cream of Nature relaxer kit, back when the kit was yellow. Her hair was soooooo pretty, that's what made me try the perm. Yes, I'm a sucker for picking perms just because the model's hair looks nice /images/graemlins/blush.gif

smilz4u

What inspires me is the stories told by members who post about how they overcame a specific problem- whether it's split ends, dryness, breakage, etc... It's really inspiring because it lets me know that all this hard work and all this education we're seeking is not in vain... there's no such thing as being cursed with bad hair- (which is how I used to think about mine) but it's all in how you take care of it. All types of success stories inspire me.

What also inspires me is knowing how my hair used to be... I try to stick to my own past hair pics being my inspiration rather than any celebrity pic only because it's important for me to have the most realistic representation of what my hair will be like in these upcoming months... plus, that way I can't be disappointed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tc_333

All the wonderful heads of hair on this board; and the sincerity of everyone in obtain hair length and growth (not necessarily in that order!) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jenai

What inspires me are all of the ladies on this board. Reading about their hair growth success is encouraging. Even the setbacks inspires me because I will learn through them to be patient and tenderly care for my hair as they GROW beyond those problems. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks everyone!!!

Tracy

1. The ladies on this board.
2. And an option that wasn't mentioned but one that motivates me daily - one word: HATERS.

adrienne0914

other heads of healthy hair. it doesn't even have to be long, just healthy is enough. i want mine to stay healthy. the length is gravy to me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh, i almost forgot... the women that i've met on the hair boards have been SO supportive of my progress and taught me so much. that also inspires me!!

adrienne

daviine

This is pretty much me to the tee -----when I see pretty hair it makes me want to come home, wash my hair and get on the hair boards!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
The most inspiring thing to me is the picture I have in my mind of how I look with super thick, super long hair that is healthy, moist and no layers in it. Of dark hair that looks like a rich mink cape. What ever I do to my hair, I keep that thought in mind. I even created a copyrighted product called of all things, "Mink" as part of my "Private Collection. I have bought hair toys and crocheted my "Jewel of the Nile" Egyptian hair snoods for my hair and purchase my combs and brushes, hair pins etc. as if my hair was already there. I treat my hair as if it were waistlength. That reminds me to handle my hairshaft carefully to preserve the ends; to comb and brush it properly, and to keep it strong and moisturized. Thinking and acting this way, cuts down my anxiety attacks about not being there, but I am getting there. Hope of achieving is my inspiration. Bonjour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too keep such a picture in my head of what I want to achieve. This technique is very powerful and it inspires me as well as the ladies on this board and reading about their achievements. It makes me feel so good knowing I'm on the right track.

Peachtree

Definitely seeing women with healthy hair... long, short, relaxed, locs, natural, whatever... just healthy, thriving hair period
!

kyla

[ QUOTE ]
legs71 said:
What inspires me is to see a woman with hair of any length whether long or short that is very healthy. I used to think people were born with "nice" hair(foolish me!)without realizing that beautiful hair takes time and effort. Also this board and the motivation each and every one of you give inspires me to the extent that I KNOW I can have beautiful hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

jellynote

The women on this board, women with healthy hair no matter what the lenght is and women with damaged hair. The women with damaged hair keeps me inspired because I remember my hair was like that and it reminds me of what I can go back too if I don't keep doing what I'm doing. I am so glad that my hair is on the right track I don't want to go backwards.

CocoaCure

I think both inspire me but in obviously different ways. When I see someone with gorgeous super long hair, I think "See, it can be done!!!" and I'm inspired. Likewise, when I see someone with torn up short, overprocessed broken hair, I think "See, that's what I'm trying to avoid!!!this is why I spend so much time in the mirror and bathroom doing my hair!!" and I'm inspired! :)

Chanteuse

I am inspired by seeing everyone's growth progress. It is just amazing to me to see the noticeable growth that people recieve in relatively short periods of time! It shows me the kind of progress that I COULD be making and reminds me to "tighten up" my hair regime if I've been slacking.

Dutchess

What inspires me is the possibility to help other ladies learn about proper hair care like someone did for me. I am on a pretty routine regimen and I notice that my hair is growing well. Waist length is my goal for September 04 and if that is achieved then I will be like a walking advertisement that our hair can achieve such lengths and more. I just want to help other people.