WHAT GREW YOUR HAIR BETTER- MA WEAVE OR BRAIDS...AND WHY??

smuice

Hi Ladies

this has probably been asked before- but my search feature is not working!!:wallbash:

so please let me know what worked the best for you a weave or trusty braids!!...I am in braids and have been getting good results so far...but want to get a weave for christmas...what's the difference...if any! TIA:grin:

smuice

Re: WHAT GREW YOUR HAIR BETTER- A WEAVE OR BRAIDS...AND WHY??

bumping...bumping for responses!!:grin:

foxieroxienyc

Funny, I was just going to come on and do a search for this question as well as I'm considering braids for 6 weeks and then possibly a weave for 8 weeks for the LHCF Bootcamp '08.

I've worn weaves for 2 years straight (not giving my hair a break at that - :look: yeah I know, I know), but I took good care of the hair underneath and I saw tremendous growth. My hair started off as a short fro, then went past my shoulders and is VERY healthy and thick. I recently got a cut to an even SL and started my journey since wearing my hair out. I always ONLY did sew-in weaves and used quality custom hair which I ordered online. It worked for me.

I'm considering braids now for something new. I'd be a little worried about my edges thinning, I'm considering small/medium sized box braids though to prevent this, and my stylist I'm sure wont dont them so tight that breakage occurs.

For me I loved the versatility of the weave, but if you leave your hair out it's definitely more maintainance because you have to take care of that AND the hair underneath in the tracks, and then there's styling the weave as well (I liked wavy textures because I could do wash and go's and look good, or mist it with leave-in and be fine). Also make sure you match your own texture as close as possible to avoid having to straighten the hair you leave out to blend with the weft hair. Again with wavy styles you can kind of even do a braid out with the hair you leave out to blend, and you can sport a straight look if you roller set and wrap.

I havent worn just braids in so long, so I cant tell you my point of view about that, but I would see it as a little less hassle to maintain, so maybe you can consider switching btw the two... :)

smuice

Re: WHAT GREW YOUR HAIR BETTER- A WEAVE OR BRAIDS...AND WHY??

Thanks Foxie I will probably go with the weaves I had them in the past as well and my hair grew out...but I was getting good results with braids over the past 3 months and just wanted confirmation it would be cool! to switch it up!:grin:

tinkat

I used weaves to transtion and it grows out my hair fast. The problem is that I would not give myself a break...I did for the whole month of november and I am currently wearing my hair in a weave bc I did not want to straighten out my hair for my graduation. You would have thought that my hair would have been looking crazy bc I wore weaves for like 2 yrs straight, 1st year to cut out relax hair, 2nd year grew out natural hair...but with a month of babying it my natural hair, the person who did my hair was like your hair is soo soft and heathy when she did my current sewin.

Now that I feel comfortable with taking care of my natural hair, I am going to take this out in a few weeks and take a long break. But I definitely like weave better bc you are not manipulating your hair at all...you are not tugging at anything also. I would recommend a full-head weave with a part to have a more realistic look. Just do not keep it in for a long time and give yourself breaks!

bluediamond0829

Thanks for posting this thread...because i am currently transitioning and had did have medium micros that i had got done on Nov 17th..not even almost a month later my new growth was so obvious and i had braids that were slipping and hanging from the shorter sections of my hair..then i wanted to keep it in for at least 2 months...it wasnt going to work....so i said just for the better health of my hair during this phase i'll go from month to month....it'll just be worth it in the long run and expensive getting my braids done unless i would get it redone around the edges...

then i started thinking about sewns--at least with a sewn i wouldnt have to work about new growth showin--maybe the braids underneath getting loose from the newgrowth--but then i wouldnt manipulate my hair or edges as much...i have now a full head sewn with no hair left out(i never liked having hair left out because of the manipulation of that hair out--even though it may make it look more natural---but there are some good stylist that can do a full head and make it look just as natural)

i cant really say which grows hair out...way way back then i did have braids and had alot of success with having braids...i know others from LHCF that have had braids and had tremendous success....

my choice this time is sewn weaves since ive gotten worn out on the braids and older i want something with more alternatives to styling

thatscuteright

I used weaves to transtion and it grows out my hair fast. The problem is that I would not give myself a break...I did for the whole month of november and I am currently wearing my hair in a weave bc I did not want to straighten out my hair for my graduation. You would have thought that my hair would have been looking crazy bc I wore weaves for like 2 yrs straight, 1st year to cut out relax hair, 2nd year grew out natural hair...but with a month of babying it my natural hair, the person who did my hair was like your hair is soo soft and heathy when she did my current sewin.

Now that I feel comfortable with taking care of my natural hair, I am going to take this out in a few weeks and take a long break. But I definitely like weave better bc you are not manipulating your hair at all...you are not tugging at anything also. I would recommend a full-head weave with a part to have a more realistic look. Just do not keep it in for a long time and give yourself breaks!

I have natural hair and I am seriously thinking about getting a weave.
what kind of hair do you recomend?

tinkat

I have natural hair and I am seriously thinking about getting a weave.
what kind of hair do you recomend?

I get Urban beauty and that is what I am wearing now..its about 20 dollars a pack...but my hair stylist says that it is not even 100% human hair...but it has been doing ok for me. I would probably upgrade to other hair brands when money gets better.

loved

Weaves

When I had braids, I could not go more than 6 weeks before my hair would knot and get linty at the base.

I can stretch the time between relaxers for a longer period with weaves.

smuice

Thank for the views ladies...I am going to buy the hair for my sew-in now and attempt to do it myself!!:lachen:

bluediamond0829

I get Urban beauty and that is what I am wearing now..its about 20 dollars a pack...but my hair stylist says that it is not even 100% human hair...but it has been doing ok for me. I would probably upgrade to other hair brands when money gets better.

Thats the brand i used to use also with my weaves...i loved that hair...

I have now Saga Remy--it was expensive(like 70.00 a pack and i brought 2 packs) thats the most i believe i ever paid for hair...

i wanted the Extensions Plus brand--but then again im not really good with reusing hair either once its been cut on.

I would love to have some wavy hair--i'll give that a try...

foxieroxienyc --looked at ur fotki its very inspirational...

tinkat--i like the fact that u used weaves and braids to transition..thats inspirational also...