What does deep conditioning mean to you?

Leshia

I was thinking about how our hair should be deep conditioned and have committed to doing them more often, especially since winter is coming. Anyhoo, I grabbed my Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac conditioner and slapped on my plastic cap and proceeded to wrap a towel around my head. Then, I thought it might be best to add some cholesterol to that, so I slathered that on as well. Do you think you need to deep condition with a specific conditioner, or do you believe that any ole' moisturizing conditioner will do as long as it's in for a good 30 min to an hour?

NAY007

i deep condition with any conditioner from dove to cholesterol. except for protein conditioners of course. but other than that to me deep conditioning means more the time you condition your hair. deep conditioning is leaving the conditioner on for more than 15 minutes.

Honi

There is no board.
Deep conditioning to me always meant leaving moisturizing conditioners (no protein) on for 30 minutes or longer. I guess you could say the same for protein/moisturizing conditioners but I don’t leave these on longer than instructed on the bottle because I’ve always had the experience of it making my hair hard.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Technically and officially (according to the hair care industry's definition), deep conditioning means conditioning with a strong protein conditioner (one with a re-structuring protein such as keratin) under the dryer.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
For me, it means leaving my conditioner on longer and with heat or a plastic cap to let the conditioning properties really penetrate my hair.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
What it means to me: Using Aubrey Organics GPB or L'Oreal Mermade with a bit of heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or leaving it on for a long time with no heat.

nekee

means do what im doing right now.
Just as Allandra said "leaving it on for a long time with no heat"
or (for me) using UBH conditioner and some heat. It reallys seems to really strentghen my hair

beana3

I used to think that in order to "Deep" condition hair heatmust be used. I no longer use heat except for proetin treatments. I just let my moisturizing condit sit for 30mins- whenever w/ a plastic cap.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
mly3e said:
For me, it means leaving my conditioner on longer and with heat or a plastic cap to let the conditioning properties really penetrate my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's what it means to me, too!!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
I've been questioning this too. At this point for me deep conditioning means a moisturizing treatment (vs. an instant conditioner i.e. Pantene S&S) left on for 30 min.+ with or w/o heat.

Islandgirl

a conditioner that is made specifically to be left on the hair for 15-20 minutes (sometimes 10) and if the bottle says wear a plastic cap and go under the dryer or wrap a towel around the head.

Leshia

all right, with all of these interesting interpretations/opinions, I think what I'm doing is fine. Believe it or not, I'm too lazy to bust out my hooded dryer and find a place to sit under it. It's too much of a hassle...