Heat or No Heat for Deep Conditioning

Country gal

I am curious if you sit under a dryer with your deep conditoner. I usually just walk around with a plastic cap with my deep conditioner. Sometimes I will sit under the dryer. Dou think sitting under the dryer with the deep conditioner is more beneficial to your hair?

You know I really am not sure. I religously used heat with conditioners for years and then stopped a few months ago and haven't found any difference in the results.

I *just* used heat for the first time again with Motions Moisture Plus a couple of days ago and the hair came out great but not *as* good as normal I think. I'll try it without heat next time.

For me, overall 've found the results with conditioners to be the same.

Another option is covering a shower cap with a towel (warmed) for a mild steaming effect...

Tracy

I use heat with protein conditioners and no heat for moisturizing conditioners. I know there used to be a real theory behind why I do it this way - but I don't remember what it is now.

Probably a combination of laziness and the belief that protein is what really needs to penetrate deeply on MY hair. The moisture is important too - but penetrates pretty easily on it's own without the heat. But that's just trial and error on my hair most likely.

Country gal

I was just curious. It seems that the ladies on this board do both. I tend to sit under a dryer with my protein treatments too.

G

If the instructions say use heat, I usually do. When I use the Keracare, I just use the cap, maybe a towel over the cap.

Heat supposedly helps it penetrate.

soslychic

Yes and no, for protein treatments(keraphix and emergencee) I do for 30 minutes for the same reason as the other ladies (to be sure it penetrates)

With moisturizing conditioners (humectress), i don't. just walk around with a plastic cap for 20-30 minutes

Deep conditioner (le kair) Yes I do under the dryer for about 20 minutes.

miss_brown

I usually use heat, but I've been slacking on that lately (instead I just sit with it on my hair and do other things). Besides, I also notice that heat seems to make natural hair shrink up more, which causes for more difficuly in detangling sometimes.

Armyqt

Heat definitely with protein. I use to use heat with moisturising, but I got lazy and just leave it on with a plastic cap for 15 min. I have been slacking big time on deep conditionings lately though

beana3

Wheni use a plastic cap for an hour my hair generally feels warm (self generated heat)... so some heat is up there helping it to penetrate.

from personal experience, i think my hair has the tendency to react negatively with heat
its like my hair draws up and i get more tangles that way... I only use heat when necessary for protein.

Kitkat

I used to use heat religiously with Dudleys Hair Rebuilder - protein - and with Motions Moisture Plus. I've been lazy nowadays and use heat now only when I use the Hair Rebuilder. I never used heat with Aubreys GPB or with any of the Affirm protein conditioners (5-n-1 Reconstructor or Positive Link), but maybe I should start up again! I just put two plastic bags on my head, which seems to generate a good deal of heat.

Islandgirl

I use heat (my heat cap) with protein and moisturizing conditioners. I do this partly because they do this at salons, also some of my bottles actually give that for the instructions.

Paris Belle

I always use heat. For awhile I would sit under the dryer for a half hour..But then my shampoo time would take 4 and 5 hours..I've had to cut it down. I need the intense conditioning, so that's why I use heat.