what does a trim do for you?

Kiynwah

My hair is currently between apl and bsl. I keep it in braids or a protective style 100% of the time. My ends are never exposed, so why do I need a trim?

I understand ladies who want to trim for:

1) an even look (looks healthier)
2) growing out layers
3) getting rid of damaged ends

But apart from those three reasons, is there any other reason to trim?

I.e. does it make you retain more length? if so, how?

I'm confused about this.:perplexed

msa

My philosophy is that if the hair is not damaged then don't trim. I trim away single strand knots because they cause tangling, bigger knots, and breakage.

Sometimes, leaving damaged ends does more harm than good because of the tangling and breakage they cause in the healthy hair. In that way, trimming those ends off will help you retain the healthy hair that was being negatively affected.

Some people also do microtrims to avoid splitting, breakage, and other issues (the ends being the oldest part of your hair makes these issues inevitable almost so preemptive trimming keeps those issues at bay for some people). I know Nonie does that.

Finewine

Kiynwah;9287188 I.e. [I said:
d[/I]oes it make you retain more length? if so, how?

I'm confused about this.:perplexed

No, it does not. Just think about it, how can cutting away your length make you retain it?

Protective styles (buns, twistouts, etc), not overlapping relaxers, keeping ends healthy and moisturized, and preventing breakage can all help you retain length. Contrarily, trimming takes away your length.

I don't think trims are necessary. Once all of my layers are gone, I will only do the search and destroy method to remove any splits that may occur.

Fhrizzball

I trim once a year to get rid of splits, thinning/damaged ends, lower the amount of ssk's in my hair, and to help my hair lay better in my PS. If you don't need it don't get it because cutting takes away length contrary to what others may say.

exoticmommie

I trim every other relaxer. Unless it really needed. Like last relaxer I had to do a tiny trim. Just to even it out. I can't take it. When I wear my hair out, I want it to be even. Or at least uniform.

charmtreese

I get trims after every relaxer touch-up 2-4times a year as a preventive method. Because I have fine hair, the wear and tear from just daily styling and weekly washing/detangling can cause damage (much of which I cannot even see). I trust my stylist and she never turns a trim into a cut, her trims are more of a light dusting. I find that keeping my ends trimmed allows me to retain more length, because I prevent the knots and tangles that I have gotten in the past when I was not trimming at all. In turn I'm able to actually able to keep more of my hair growth in the long run with regular trims.

Jhuidah

I do trims for maintenance. I don't have the time or energy to "search and destroy" single strand knots, so I do an all over 1/8 inch or so trim a few times a year. I'm planning one for tomorrow night after I DC. My hair is tangling on the ends a bit when I try to unravel twists or braids, so that lets me know it's time to dust my ends.