What do you consider modest apperal?

dicapr

I was just wondering what other christian women think "modest apperal" is. Everyone agrees that christian women should be modest, but there is no consenses of what is modest. Some women think showing arms and legs is immodest. I've also heard knee lenght shorts and skirts were o.k. and short sleeves, but no sp. straps. Then some say wide strap sleeveless is o.k. I don't get the not showing your back thing, but I've heard that too. Actually, I'm confused. I don't want to be immodest, but it is so subjective. Right now I wear what I feel comfortable in. What do you do?

Mamita

Back to basics
this here is just me, and what i feel is right

As i get closer to God, He's changing my mind more and more and i'm getting more and more uncomfortable with showing too much skin (men are such pervs, i don't want them lusting after me yuk!)

well for the moment i wear knee lenght skirts, no shorts cause i consider this a man's apparel, no straps, but short sleeves, or VERY wide straps lol i'm not totally out of my jeans cause i just started and need to buy more skirts and dresses first lol then they're OUT! hahaaaa!

If u think about it showing the back is sexy, it's considered to be very sexy, that's why, and hey if u show ur back u can't wear a bra can u? lol

God bless honey, it's good to ask about it, shows u wanna do something right, i hope u end up doing the right thing!

kbragg

do soI believe a good rule of thumb is to avoid anything that accentuates the curves of your body. Now as women ESPECIALLY black women, some curves are gonna poke out no matter what we do:lachen:so in those cases do your best. God knows your heart and your intentions. I only wear skirts and dresses now. It was a tough transition as first because I've always been a t-shirt and jeans type of gal, but what I noticed is not only did I begin to FEEL more feminine (the way God intended us to be), but people began to treat me different. Now everybody calls me ma'am and opens doors for me...sweet!:grin: I like being respected versus being lusted.

Another thing you can do is look at forums like T-nation and other men's forums and see the way they talk about how "hot" a girl looks in certain clothing. It's a real eye opener. While a man has control over his own eyes, as Christian women, we should want to help our brothers out. ALL men struggle with lust, and tight jeans and tube tops don't help them at all!

While men will lust no matter what we wear, as Christian women we can do our best not to provoke the situation so to speak. When you try on an outfit, and looking the mirror and think "DAG, I look hot in this:grin:" that outfit should be reserved for hubby lol. Trust me, if YOU think you look hot, it's like 10 times more for men. And when a man thinks of a women as "hot" he doesn't mean, pretty, or attractive. It means sex able. It means your being looked at as an object instead of a person. And while HE is accountable to God, for thinking that way, WE are accountable to God for "helping" things along meetingmeeting versus versus so to speak. It's like bringing a German chocolate cake to a weight watchers meeting:lachen:versus an apple. We know better.:lachen:

So for me, I wear skirts and dresses (I'll wear workout shorts at home for exercise and such). I don't expose my cleavage. I do wear some sleeveless tops occasionally, but a good rule of thumb with sleeveless is, if you have to go bra less, or keep adjusting so that your bra doesn't show, it's probably not a good choice. I don't wear tight skirts or tops (I'm a 36DD, so it's obvious why:lachen:). Also, I don't wear skits or dresses above the knee because when you bend over, or sit down, it's shows more leg than you'd probably want.

Like I mentioned earlier, this was struggle for me, but I prayed and was obedient even when I didn't "get it." There's a way that seems right to us, but it leads to destruction. The Holy Spirit will alert you if something you choose is "a bit much." Pray for the Lord to open your eyes to these situations. I promise you He will.:yep:

gradygirl

I dont have certain things that I will or wont wear as a rule but if its something that I put on and I get the wrong kind of attention or if I start to feel uncomfortable with it then I wont wear that outfit anymore. I just let the holy spirit lead me when it comes to what I wear.

dicapr

Thank you ladies for your opinions. I tend to wear above the knee skirts, maybe by an inch or so. I think I will lower them, not for my sake but for others. I have short legs and I wear them above knee to make myself look more proportional. I will see if knee length has the same effect. I always go by the bra rule when I wear shirts. If it shows, I throw another shirt or jacket over it. Pants are always loose fitting as my waist is small and my thighs are muscular and athletic. I couldn't do the skinny jean look even if I wanted to. I can't go bra-less (34D with "headlight" issues). I will continue to pray and be what I feel is modest.

dreamer26

I will say be lead of God with this one.

I use to wear dresses to my ankles and no makeup, no open toed shoes and I looked the holy part, but I wasn't drawing anybody because of the way that I looked.

When I toned it up a little bit and began to dress a little better and looked like I belong to the King I not only felt better about myself but I began to attract more people. Seems as though people where no longer intimidated by my dress. I began to witness more. Sometimes the way we present God is so unattractive. ANd when I look out into this world God likes beautiful things, and he likess for things to look good. So be modest but don't loose your good looks in the process.

I do dress modest one because I'm a lady and two I have a husband and two sons that I'm also representing.

One thing about the Holy Ghost he'll lead you if you desire to be lead.

Be blessed

Choclatcotton

I used to be a jeans and tee shirts, shorts and koolloacks, If you have it show it off, sorta gal but after i repented and was saved I consecrated all to God, including, my clothing. It was hard at first, I felt vurnable and unattractive but I wanted to obey God in all things Duet22:5 So i started wearing skirts first fitted pencil skirts with a penned up slit, because that was all i had. Then someone from church sewed two skirts for me. eventually, God shewed me that I could have my own individual style. Now i feel modest and attractive. I like kaki, jean and cargo skirts like gap and Old Navy, and Jones NY dress suits, nice dress heels (Nine and Co., Franco Sarto, Kenneth Cole, Eddie Bauer) I usually make sure my skirts are above ankle lenght, and A line. I get compliments and inquiries all the time. like the above poster I get treated like a lady with doors open, and basice respect. I LOve being a Godly woman!

caligirl2385

I dont have certain things that I will or wont wear as a rule but if its something that I put on and I get the wrong kind of attention or if I start to feel uncomfortable with it then I wont wear that outfit anymore. I just let the holy spirit lead me when it comes to what I wear.

YUP. ME TOO

MissNatural

Modest apparel is for the most part always attributed to females. In what ways are men expected to be modest in their apparel?

Choclatcotton

Men also should be modest, by not trying to show off. Muscles, legs, chest, tight pants, sagging , wife beater Ts. loud, gaudy or showy. In my opinion, I wouldnt want my husband showing his goods to another woman:grin:

Last edited:

kbragg

Men also should be modest, by not trying to show off. Muscles, legs, chest, tight pants, sagging , wife beater Ts. loud, gaudy or showy. In my opinion, I wouldnt want my husband showing his goods to another woman:grin:

Amen sistah!:lachen:That's MY body thus saith the Lord!:yep::grin: