What do you consider modest in attire?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
But there are other options besides walking outside in panties and a bra. My mind sees BODY when I see a woman in a bikini. If *my* mind goes there, I know a man's mind will. There are all kinds of suits and cover ups that can be a little more modest than a bikini. I don't walk outside in my underwear so I'm not going to go to a public facility in my underwear.

I've always thought this too. My unanswered question, though, is what's wrong with our bodies anyway? We automatically equate body with sex=lust=sin, but does that have to be the case? Is there really something inherently wrong with showing skin? I mean, I look at God giving clothes in Genesis, and Adam and Eve "started it" themselves out of their own shame. I think at the end of the day, I want someone to give me a biblical argument why, say, nudist colonies are immoral. (seriously :look:)

And another question: So, if I mow my lawn wearing short shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top and a man walks by and is "distracted," then I should have worn longer shorts and a t-shirt. But if I get "distracted" by my cute neighbor mowing his lawn without a shirt on, well, I should just get over it because everyone knows it's okay for men to walk around without their shirts on. Becuase women aren't tempted to lust after handsome men with few clothes on, right? Only men do that...

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Girl you don't have to be "old" to bust out the church hats...:lachen:

you sure don't! I love young women who wear church hats. I'm looking to start a collection myself.

In the churches I was in where women actually wore such hats, for whatever reason, they were the territory of the church mothers, so to speak. Gotta have something to look forward to!

moonglowdiva

Modest to me = no boobage or butt cleavage, skirts/dresses that don't show cookie crumbs when you sit, clothing where the label of your undies (if any) can't be read. Body flattering but not revealing or something that would cause someone to fall or fail or to lust (which is really relative b/c lust cause is different for each person).

Modest to me: #1 my fave!

That copper blouse and the twill skirt seem modest enough for the workplace. The skirt fall right below the knew but I guess a lady would have to know how to sit because if she doesn't then she could wind up show off all of the family jewels.
The sheer blousein pic 3 & 4. Wouldn't be modest in my opinion because it doesn't leave anything to the imagination. Its cute but it commands attention.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
How about this?

Sorry, I couldn't resist... :lol:

ETA: I attached the photo just in case the link doesn't open.

Attachments

• Happy Modest Apparel.jpg
    Happy Modest Apparel.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

MA2010

Well there goes my plan :lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm done!!!!

Another great thread ladies. Here are pics of me :look:.

I now understand my body type (small chest/ big behind) and what looks modest, or not, on me. It's a daily task to assure I'm on the right track when it deals with my clothes.

For example: (please don't quote the pics)

This was about 2 years ago. I was on my way to church. I liked the outfit. I think this is modest IMO. :yep:

This was a summer wedding last year. I liked the dress but knowing what I know now in Chirst, would I wear it again? NO! Not modest IMO. It's an above the knee dress with low cleavage. :nono:

If I wore that dress today I would feel extremely uncomfortable.

Yes ladies, half of my closet has to go!!! I shop for more modest attire now.

The Holy Spirit helps me discern all of it. I thank God for that!

Ramya

I've always thought this too. My unanswered question, though, is what's wrong with our bodies anyway? We automatically equate body with sex=lust=sin, but does that have to be the case? Is there really something inherently wrong with showing skin? I mean, I look at God giving clothes in Genesis, and Adam and Eve "started it" themselves out of their own shame. I think at the end of the day, I want someone to give me a biblical argument why, say, nudist colonies are immoral. (seriously :look:)

And another question: So, if I mow my lawn wearing short shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top and a man walks by and is "distracted," then I should have worn longer shorts and a t-shirt. But if I get "distracted" by my cute neighbor mowing his lawn without a shirt on, well, I should just get over it because everyone knows it's okay for men to walk around without their shirts on. Becuase women aren't tempted to lust after handsome men with few clothes on, right? Only men do that...

I'm going to have to do research to study the first part. I'd actually love to be naked all the time personally. :lachen:I believe men should be modest as well. Men should wear appropriate clothing and no they are not excused in my book.

BrooklynSouth

Modest attire for me is minimal skin showing, although arms showing are nice. A woman can still be attractive and sensual without having her breasts or skirt above her very lower thighs. I will show curves but not too clingy. I saw a young woman this morning wearing very tight jeans and a short jacket; the jeans showed every curve and the split of her vj:blush:..not modest. Mystery is enticing.

BrooklynSouth

I now understand my body type (small chest/ big behind) and what looks modest, or not, on me. It's a daily task to assure I'm on the right track when it deals with my clothes.

This was about 2 years ago. I was on my way to church. I liked the outfit. I think this is modest IMO. :yep:

This was a summer wedding last year. I liked the dress but knowing what I know now in Chirst, would I wear it again? NO! Not modest IMO. It's an above the knee dress with low cleavage. :nono:

Yes, Manushka, very womanly and covered. I like the outfit for church very much.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

Wear them for your husband. :yep:

Also, I have a closet full of Blazers, Demi Jackets, Crop Sweaters to wear over dresses like your pretty white one (which is a gorgeous dress, btw). No one knows what's underneath but me and Jesus.

justsimply

My take on modesty is this... it's different for each body type and person. If you step out the house and Jesus was going to show up at the same event would you feel uncovered. For example if you were going to a pool party and Jesus was going to show up would you swim apparel suddenly become too revealing? If so, it's too revealing.

Also, I think the reason you were an outfit is an indicator on the modest radar. If you wear an outfit because it brings attention to a certain area of your body, I think it will do just that...get attention. I no longer wear things SIMPLY because it makes my waist look really small or because it shows just enough cleavage to get attention.

Lastly, like to think of my Christian brothers...I don't want to be a stumbling block for them in church. I'm not going to wear my clothes big as moo-moos (lol), but I do consider what is showing and if I can comfortable lift my hands in prayer without my belly showing, etc. I expect the same courtesy from them.

Mrs.TheBronx

My take on modesty is this... it's different for each body type and person. If you step out the house and Jesus was going to show up at the same event would you feel uncovered. For example if you were going to a pool party and Jesus was going to show up would you swim apparel suddenly become too revealing? If so, it's too revealing.

Also, I think the reason you were an outfit is an indicator on the modest radar. If you wear an outfit because it brings attention to a certain area of your body, I think it will do just that...get attention. I no longer wear things SIMPLY because it makes my waist look really small or because it shows just enough cleavage to get attention.

Lastly, like to think of my Christian brothers...I don't want to be a stumbling block for them in church. I'm not going to wear my clothes big as moo-moos (lol), but I do consider what is showing and if I can comfortable lift my hands in prayer without my belly showing, etc. I expect the same courtesy from them.

I agree!! I really appreciate this thread! i never thought about my attire as much as i do now! Thanks!!! :)

moonglowdiva

Well said.