What do my edges need???

Felicia4ab

I'm new to LHCF and I need help ladies. I've been struggling with my edges for a lifetime. However, these last couple of months have been particularly horrific. I relaxed my edges and nape around September/October 2014 and they just broke off so terribly. Then I got box braids and the girl tried to "catch" my edges. I kept them in for about 2 weeks and saw my edges breaking. I took them out and clumps of hair were coming out. I trimmed them slightly and I have two big bald spots. I feel like I've tried everything but my edges won't grow back. Especially the bald areas. I'm scared to my hair out because you really can't be cute with no edges. Also, the short/balding area has extended wayy past the edges, my actual hair line is way shorter than the rest of my hair that's not even that long. I just don't know what to do an. I want to wear my hair!

crlsweetie912

I'm new to LHCF and I need help ladies. I've been struggling with my edges for a lifetime. However, these last couple of months have been particularly horrific. I relaxed my edges and nape around September/October 2014 and they just broke off so terribly. Then I got box braids and the girl tried to "catch" my edges. I kept them in for about 2 weeks and saw my edges breaking. I took them out and clumps of hair were coming out. I trimmed them slightly and I have two big bald spots. I feel like I've tried everything but my edges won't grow back. Especially the bald areas. I'm scared to my hair out because you really can't be cute with no edges. Also, the short/balding area has extended wayy past the edges, my actual hair line is way shorter than the rest of my hair that's not even that long. I just don't know what to do an. I want to wear my hair!

Jamaican black castor oil and massages. Increase the circulation/growth. And a lot of people stopped or decreased when they relaxed their edges.

Evolving78

Jamaican black castor oil and massages. Increase the circulation/growth. And a lot of people stopped or decreased when they relaxed their edges.
yep! It works! I will see if I can dig up some pics! I am using a mixture right now that is working! Jbco with 3 drops of Rosemary, cedar wood, lavender, a teaspoon grapeseed oil and jojoba oil. I massage it in 2-3 times a week in my bad spot. I used the JBCO alone for my edges after I had my baby.

Evolving78

I know how you feel. I had a bad reaction to some color and it jacked my scalp up! I had to cut my hair in the back of my crown down to 3 inches and I had a bald spot. So now I am working on that area. I'm starting to get little hairs to sprout in that area.

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
I've been on a quest to grow my edges back but I haven't been consistent long enough to really notice any results. I go hard with a new product for like that first month and then I fall off the wagon :-(

There is a girl on YouTube who successfully grew her edges back using Emu Oil. She said her edges were bald for years. Her channel is MissCinnaminCakes or something like that.

I'm currently alternating between Emu Oil and JBCO. And I've started to keep my oil in my gym bag because I go to the gym every day so after I'm done changing I put my oil on. It helps me remember.

Other things that I've read helps:

Megatek
MN
Haitain Black Castor Oil
Essential Oils mixed with a carrier oil
Onion Juice (I tried this and literally smelled like an onion. The smell lingers even after you wash your hair).
Dermarolling your scalp.

Hopefully other ladies chime in.

CodeRed

I'll co-sign on the JBCO. I've been using castor oil/Jamaican black castor oil on my edges and I've seen them thicken up and they're not as fragile as they were. I just started putting some peppermint oil drops in this week. My scalp feels wonderful... I'm monitoring if the peppermint oil is helping anything along faster or not.

GGsKin

I had bald spots caused by tension from bad use of clip-ins that were clean for 1yr+. I managed to grow them back by 24/7 baggying. I started mid September and by November, I noticed hairs growing in. Now I have a little fro in the spots that were clean scalp. I also did occasional inversion and massage with JCBO. It's not for everyone but it worked for me.

The time leading up to that (2013- late 2014), I tried box braids, twists and crochet braids but the tension didn't allow my spots to recover.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Also it's tempting to want to cover thin edges with headbands. please use only silk or satin or other smooth fabric. Cotton and nylon or terry cloth will snatch out the baby hairs that sprout and slow your progress way down

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
What they need most is time. I know it sucks but I had something like this happen to me and the JBCO does work but it took time. At first the hair that grew back was super duper soft like baby hair then it finally came back to it's normal but it took several months if not a full year.

Lisa

I had bald spots caused by tension from bad use of clip-ins that were clean for 1yr+. I managed to grow them back by 24/7 baggying. I started mid September and by November, I noticed hairs growing in. Now I have a little fro in the spots that were clean scalp. I also did occasional inversion and massage with JCBO. It's not for everyone but it worked for me.

@AbsyBlve this is probably a stupid question but how did you do 24/7 bagging? Did you wear a shower cap and a wig?

GGsKin

@AbsyBlve this is probably a stupid question but how did you do 24/7 bagging? Did you wear a shower cap and a wig?

Lisa Not a stupid question at all. I wore a plastic bag on my head, tied at the handles. Then I'd put a silk scarf over the bag, and a stocking cap over that and wear a wig. I'd get home from work and take every thing off apart from the bag. Other times I'd wear the bag with a headscarf wrapped on top.

Fotchygirl

I got this from old threads:

1 tsp sweet almond oil
1tsp castor oil
no more than 10drops of rosemary oils.

Will also try this on my edges as well.

Subscribe

I agree with a post upthread. Your edges need TIME. Depending upon how much damage they received from the relaxer and the tight braids will determine how long it will take to grow back.

No one here can determine if just your hair was damaged, your scalp, your follicles, or all/none of the previous :spinning: One thing for sure is to NOT touch your edges at all for about a year, with NOTHING. No relaxers, no flat irons, no brushes, no combs, etc :nono:

All the suggestions for JBCO and others regrowth aids upthread are good things to follow. I would also suggest monthly photos of that area to keep track of your progress.

Welcome and Good Luck!

jerseyhaircare

You may also want to reevaluate your hairstyles. I went to the dependable weaves and braids in the past to recover my edges (before LHCF) only to accelerate the hair loss due to tension and excessive weight on fragile hair. Two years ago, I let go of those styles, cut my hair short, and slowly grew it back. I avoided alcohol based gels, hair brushes, ponytails, etc and it helped greatly.

cynd

I had a small bald spot in the very top of my head that quickly grew to almost the size of my palm. I was devastated to say the least. I basically used the mix shortdub78 mentioned except I added thyme essential oil, so it was rosemary, thyme, lavender and cedarwood mixed in grapeseed and jojoba oils. I did that for more than year and the spot is barely visible now. Recently I've been using a mix of peppermint and eucalyptus essentials oils mixed in JBCO and it seems to be working even better.

Evolving78

I had a small bald spot in the very top of my head that quickly grew to almost the size of my palm. I was devastated to say the least. I basically used the mix shortdub78 mentioned except I added thyme essential oil, so it was rosemary, thyme, lavender and cedarwood mixed in grapeseed and jojoba oils. I did that for more than year and the spot is barely visible now. Recently I've been using a mix of peppermint and eucalyptus essentials oils mixed in JBCO and it seems to be working even better.
I'm going to get some peppermint! I keep forgetting about that one!

carolb21

Manetabolism has helped my edges, along with JBCO, inversion and massage. Not sure which one is working best, but I am probably the Queen of set backs....:ohwell:
Be gentle with your hair and get a simple routine.