What causes thin ends?

ChocalateDiva

Does anyone know what causes thin ends? My hair is healthy without any damage but as it gets longer, the ends just get thinner and it is driving me crazy. :wallbash:

I baby the ends, only comb on wash day with a shower comb, moisturize daily, stretch relaxers,etc.

I am at my wits end. How can I stop the ends from thinning? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

TIA

pookaloo83

Does anyone know what causes thin ends? My hair is healthy without any damage but as it gets longer, the ends just get thinner and it is driving me crazy. :wallbash:

I baby the ends, only comb on wash day with a shower comb, moisturize daily, stretch relaxers,etc.

I am at my wits end. How can I stop the ends from thinning? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

TIA
'

It could be relaxer run-off. The relaxer run-off over time thins the ends. Make sure you coat your ends in vaseline or some sort of conditioner or protectant. I'm going to do this on my next touch up.

lboogie2679

IMHO, I think some of it has do with all the strands catching up to each other. Some of it can also be general wear and tear and also manipulation.

Lucia

TIA

If you're doing all the right things then it's just that your hair's not even, that's all I don't think it's cause of damage. Hair doesn't grow evenly so some hair is growing out, then other parts of your hair grow to catch up later so that will make your hair look like some areas are thinner until the rest of your hair catches up and meets the longer hairs. Just be patient keep up the good haircare just do S&D's on the splits, and trimm when you've just passed your goal by 2 inches that way the trimm will put you where you want to be. Check out Chicoro's fotki she figured this out and doesn't trimm off her progress that way. hth

Lita

If you're doing all the right things then it's just that your hair's not even, that's all I don't think it's cause of damage. Hair doesn't grow evenly so some hair is growing out, then other parts of your hair grow to catch up later so that will make your hair look like some areas are thinner until the rest of your hair catches up and meets the longer hairs. Just be patient keep up the good haircare just do S&D's on the splits, and trimm when you've just passed your goal by 2 inches that way the trimm will put you where you want to be. Check out Chicoro's fotki she figured this out and doesn't trimm off her progress that way. hth

Thanks.Happy Hair Growing

bedazzled

I think that if your ends are really thin its due to breakage. I know that some people have thin ends because some parts of their hair grows slower than the other but I don't think you should see it to the point where you have 4-6 inches of thin ends (in which is what i have and havent yet clipped off :/). I mean I dont usually see people of other races with thin ends to the degree i've seen with myself and other black women so I think most of it has to do with breakage. Not necessarily meaning that your hair is breaking off currently, but there is that much of a discrepancy due to breakage from the past which left many strands at different lengths.

BeautifulFlower

Over moisturization can cause thin ends, especially if you haven't been trimming and dusting.

This is so true. The longer I go without a good wash, DC, and thorough detangle, the thinner my ends look. After I've done these (and maybe a small dust), my hair looks healthy again.

I think that if your ends are really thin its due to breakage. I know that some people have thin ends because some parts of their hair grows slower than the other but I don't think you should see it to the point where you have 4-6 inches of thin ends (in which is what i have and havent yet clipped off :/). I mean I dont usually see people of other races with thin ends to the degree i've seen with myself and other black women so I think most of it has to do with breakage. Not necessarily meaning that your hair is breaking off currently, but there is that much of a discrepancy due to breakage from the past which left many strands at different lengths.

I think this is the biggest cause of thin ends. You may be doing everything right but hair will still break. Just stay on top of dusting and trims as needed and you should be fine.

SherylsTresses

I had this same problem :perplexed and even created a thread on it. My conclusions were:

• Detangle in smaller sections in shower while stretching
  • No combing at all on dry hair
  • Switch to a water-based moisturizer
  • Baggy your ends when they get out of control
  • Add porosity control to my regimen
  • Make sure your moisture/protein is in balance

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Hey G,

Can you explain the concept behind over moisturizing causing thin ends a lil' more?

Sure. We all know that as the hair gets longer, our ends are the most fragile area. The have withstanded the most abuse and on a microscopic level are going to the thinner from the loss and degredation of cuticle layers. This is also one reason why we all have to be mindful of the moisture levels of our ends. Each strand on our heads isn't uniform and I am sure we all have noticed some strands that seem much naturally thinner than the bulk of our heads. Overloading you ends with moisture can promote thinning of the length because you are already dealing with more fragile hair in those areas and the weight of daily moisture products can weigh down the strand. Hair naturally cotains a low percentage of moisture so constantly applying products plus your usual conditioning can be like trying to plus in 20% instead if the usual 3-9%. Dryness is a symptom of something else. The framework to hold moisture gets more and more compromised in our ends the longer our hair grows so we can't attack the dryness there in the same manner. If areas of your hair are constantly dry after a proper conditioning, you need to look at your porosity and protein usage. Even in the hair that truly is chronically dry naturally, cuticle reinforcements like lipids and ceramide can prove to be useful. The strands the most susceptible to this type of breaking are the ones in your mane that are naturally thinner than the rest. This is why you see this slow creaping thinning over time.

Imoan

Sure. We all know that as the hair gets longer, our ends are the most fragile area. The have withstanded the most abuse and on a microscopic level are going to the thinner from the loss and degredation of cuticle layers. This is also one reason why we all have to be mindful of the moisture levels of our ends. Each strand on our heads isn't uniform and I am sure we all have noticed some strands that seem much naturally thinner than the bulk of our heads. Overloading you ends with moisture can promote thinning of the length because you are already dealing with more fragile hair in those areas and the weight of daily moisture products can weigh down the strand. Hair naturally cotains a low percentage of moisture so constantly applying products plus your usual conditioning can be like trying to plus in 20% instead if the usual 3-9%. Dryness is a symptom of something else. The framework to hold moisture gets more and more compromised in our ends the longer our hair grows so we can't attack the dryness there in the same manner. If areas of your hair are constantly dry after a proper conditioning, you need to look at your porosity and protein usage. Even in the hair that truly is chronically dry naturally, cuticle reinforcements like lipids and ceramide can prove to be useful. The strands the most susceptible to this type of breaking are the ones in your mane that are naturally thinner than the rest. This is why you see this slow creaping thinning over time.

Hi is the concept the same for natural hair, for we are taught that moisture is natural hair best friend? Thanks

Fine 4s

AH.
Thanks a lot, I totally get it. Now, I have to remember it!

gymfreak336

Hi is the concept the same for natural hair, for we are taught that moisture is natural hair best friend? Thanks

I don't think so, atleast not in most cases. I think hair type plays a part in it as does your current regime. The conditions in which a relaxed head and a natural head are dry are different so i wouldn't apply the same line of thought at least not to the same extreme for most natural heads.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016

TIA

I always overly coat my ends of my hair before a touch-up to prevent running of the relaxer. In between touch-ups I always baggie my ends which has helped me a lot.

Lucia

I always overly coat my ends of my hair before a touch-up to prevent running of the relaxer. In between touch-ups I always baggie my ends which has helped me a lot.

Baggying my hair at night has really helped me retain length and grow thicker hair. I'm natural and my hair loves moisture.

MJ

Thank you! My hair is natural, and I have experienced the same issue as the OP.

LaidBak

I have thin ends. But I had severe breakage for a very long time. I've been on the right track for about 6 months now. I think in another year everything will be caught up and my ends will be as thick as my roots.

tkj25

i think we're all pretty much aware of the usual culprits for "real" thin ends -- breakage, dryness, overmanipulation, mechanical damage, over/underprocessing ... but what if your hair is still "thinning" and you're doing everything right? which seems like the scenario the op is talking about.

i think we also need to remember that hair naturally grows in unevenly, which can look like "thin ends" -- but its actually healthy strands that have:

a faster growing rate, or are from follicles placed lower on your scalp ( ie usually the back/nape & sides)

most stylists (at least the ones who know how to correctly cut/transition hair as its growing out:yep::look::yep:) will keep the bottom layers even as the top layers grow down. so when the top meets the bottom layers you have a blunt, even style. growing forward, the stylist will then maintain this line so the hair "appears" to grow out blunt & even.

but essentially you have to cut blunt, evenness into your hair. hair naturally grows in staggered, "thin" layers. now whether you trim as you grow, or grow & then trim, is up to you, and your comfort level/style. some people hate to see "thin ends". some people don't mind it. there are benefits & detractions from both approaches.:drunk:

but essentially, as long as your hair is healthy, you don't have to worry that your ends are "thinning" because of damage, it's probably just from growth. :grin:

Last edited:

Americka

i think we're all pretty much aware of the usual culprits for "real" thin ends -- breakage, dryness, overmanipulation, mechanical damage, over/underprocessing ... but what if your hair is still "thinning" and you're doing everything right? which seems like the scenario the op is talking about.

i think we also need to remember that hair naturally grows in unevenly, which can look like "thin ends" -- but its actually healthy strands that have:

a faster growing rate, or are from follicles placed lower on your scalp ( ie usually the back/nape & sides)

most stylists (at least the ones who know how to correctly cut/transition hair as its growing out:yep::look::yep:) will keep the bottom layers even as the top layers grow down. so when the top meets the bottom layers you have a blunt, even style. growing forward, the stylist will then maintain this line so the hair "appears" to grow out blunt & even.

but essentially you have to cut blunt, evenness into your hair. hair naturally grows in staggered, "thin" layers. now whether you trim as you grow, or grow & then trim, is up to you, and your comfort level/style. some people hate to see "thin ends". some people don't mind it. there are benefits & detractions from both approaches.:drunk:

but essentially, as long as your hair is healthy, you don't have to worry that your ends are "thinning" because of damage, it's probably just from growth. :grin:

Excellent explanation! Thanks!

SelfStyled

Great explanation- my problem is the opposite. My nape grows slowly, the rest of my hair grows reg. My ends seem thin because the hair that is just higher than the nape will grow out fast and then it appears that I have thin ends. So what do I do:wallbash::wallbash:? Over and over I cut to even it back up. My hair naturally grows in an inverted bob, where the sides will grow really long:nono:.

jasminea

' It could be relaxer run-off. The relaxer run-off over time thins the ends. Make sure you coat your ends in vaseline or some sort of conditioner or protectant. I'm going to do this on my next touch up.

Great information! I've never thought about the effects of the relaxer on the rest of the hair during the wash out process. Will have to start applying a protectant to the ends!

jasminea

I don't. I just finger-position my hair and let it be. :yep:

I only finger comb after I have lightly sprayed my hands with either a silicone glossing product or oil sheen then my finger glide through without the popping. I have tried it with dry fingers during the day at work and also hear popping, so try doing it with oily fingers to see if that helps.