What Can I Use To Clean My Scalp Without Buildup Or Stripping Hair

sparkle25

I just pre-pooed, washed and deep conditioned... Then I used a product that I absolute hate and want out of my hair. It has way too much honey in it and my hair is greasy and sticky. And my scalp is itchy. I want it out but don't want to do a full pre-poo, wash and DC again. Ugh!

What should I do? The only thing I have here is some VO5 moisture something strawberry conditioner, the Camille rose morrocan pear conditioner and Camille rose cream cleanser which I posted about the other day and I don't want to use it again because it's drying. I don't love shampoos so don't have anything special in the house and I just ordered tons of mud cleansers but they're not here yet. Heeeelllp I don't know what to do. Should I just use the VO5 or ??

sparkle25

The mud cleansers should get you scalp nice and clean.

I use the Silk Elements Scalp Pre-Cleanse treatment an half hour before cleansing. It's a scalp exfoliater. You spray it directly on the scalp.
I'm going to try this! I want to keep the mud off my scalp just to start with. Do you think I should put this scalp stuff on after mud cleaning and then rinse it out? Or should I use this stuff first, rinse it out and then mud cleanse? This is great! Thank you so much lovely miss lovely xoxox

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I'm going to try this! I want to keep the mud off my scalp just to start with. Do you think I should put this scalp stuff on after mud cleaning and then rinse it out? Or should I use this stuff first, rinse it out and then mud cleanse? This is great! Thank you so much lovely miss lovely xoxox
I use it 1/2 hr before my cleansing session. The directions say 5-7 minutes.

I'm not sure about following mud. I think clay/mud is supposed to be a good detox for the hair and scalp. Is there a reason you don't want the mud on your scalp.

sparkle25

I use it 1/2 hr before my cleansing session. The directions say 5-7 minutes.

I'm not sure about following mud. I think clay/mud is supposed to be a good detox for the hair and scalp. Is there a reason you don't want the mud on your scalp.

@AbsyBlvd had mentioned she saw on a website that under a microscope, people that used mud had the same results as those who co-washed. I've read the same thing since she told me that. Im just trying to avoid it and I like a clean scalp anyways. I just don't want to use shampoo for awhile to see if it works better for my strands.

Aggie

@AbsyBlvd had mentioned she saw on a website that under a microscope, people that used mud had the same results as those who co-washed. I've read the same thing since she told me that. Im just trying to avoid it and I like a clean scalp anyways. I just don't want to use shampoo for awhile to see if it works better for my strands.
I love mud on my scalp and hair and thankfully I'm a shampoo girl as well so this does not bother me at all. Just out of curiosity though, what results are you referring to from the cowash and mud on the scalp?

CodeRed

I like Nairobi Detoxifying Shampoo. It has rosemary, hydrolyzed wheat protein and other goodies in it. It's not harsh, gets everything clean and chelates too.

Edit: I forgot to add... I know you don't want to do all 3 steps again but the reason I mentioned this shampoo is because when I used it for a wash after my dc my hair was not stripped and I regularly conditioned in the shower and my hair was still moisturized. When I used it again after regularly conditioning I had to dc. What I think happens is that if your hair is adequately deep conditioned and then you use this, it has strengthening qualities with the proteins, it calms the scalp with essential oils and it doesn't strip away the effects of your deep conditioner after one use.

Last edited:

GGsKin

I love mud on my scalp and hair and thankfully I'm a shampoo girl as well so this does not bother me at all. Just out of curiosity though, what results are you referring to from the cowash and mud on the scalp?

Hey Aggie, I love clay on my scalp too and haven't had any issues. The info I saw/ read was on the science-y hair blog where she compared shampoo vs ACV rinsing vs cowashing vs water rinsing, for how effective they were for removing oils from the hair.

I found her results interesting but it wont make me use shampoo more often than I do. I don't think it said what her clay mix consisted of, how it was applied, or how long it was left on the hair. I know my hair and scalp look and feel clean. Definitely not coated after clay, as opposed to cowashing.

Last edited:

Aggie

Hey Aggie, I love clay on my scalp too and haven't had any issues. The info I saw/ read was on the science-y hair blog where she compared shampoo vs ACV rinsing vs cowashing vs water rinsing, for how effective they were for removing oils from the hair.

I found her results interesting but it wont make me use shampoo more often than I do. I don't think it said what her clay mix consisted of, how it was applied, or how long it was left on the hair. I know my hair and scalp look and feel clean. Definitely not coated after clay, as opposed to cowashing.
Okay gotcha!