Clean but itchy scalp?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I've noticed lately that my scalp has been feeling kinda dry and itchy. I don't understand why. I cowash practically every day and I oil my scalp every nite before I use my Mega tek. I know it's not dirty, theres no residue on my scalp. But it's just itchy and at times dry and itchy! What do you think could be the source/cause of that?

I thought maybe the Mega tek but as bad as I am, I don't always remember to use it so it's not even every day. :perplexed

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I coulda wrote this post myself! I've been having the SAME problem. My scalp feels dry and itchy, I have no clue what the problem is. I've never had to deal with this before.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Filmatic

Have either of you tried hot oil treatment concentrated on your scalp? Also are you allergic to any products? I had itchy scalp a couple of times and it was actually due to a few things.

1. Not washing enough
2. My scalp did not like ingredients in certain conditioners.
3. If I do oil my scalp I can only use certain products ( Indian Hemp grease, Tea Tree Oil, etc.)

I hope that helps.

Menina Preta

I've noticed lately that my scalp has been feeling kinda dry and itchy. I don't understand why. I cowash practically every day and I oil my scalp every nite before I use my Mega tek. I know it's not dirty, theres no residue on my scalp. But it's just itchy and at times dry and itchy! What do you think could be the source/cause of that?

I thought maybe the Mega tek but as bad as I am, I don't always remember to use it so it's not even every day. :perplexed

You are probably "disturbing" your scalp's natural environment too much by washing every day. My scalp gets pretty itchy if I wash too often or too little. Just 'right' for me is like 4-7 days.

Nonie

^^ Agreed. Also are you guys taking your omega acids? (Flax, Fish Oil etc). The scalp just like the skin could itch from being very dry. But if you're getting your oils, that might help.

Do you do ACV rinses? I usually add essential oils of rosemary and lavender to my ACV rinse. Rosemary is good at soothing an itching scalp.

JustKiya

How well are you rinsing out the co-wash? I've found that if I cowash a lot, and don't make SURE to get right up into the scalp to scritch and scratch and rub everything off of my scalp, I'll get buildup that will make my scalp unhappy.
Does it feel better when it's wet? That's always my clue that something is still sitting on my scalp. :yep:

Ever heard a Dr say "dont wash your face too much if you have acne." Your scalp is still your skin. Everyone's scalp/skin cant take what works for other people. Try to go a few more days in between your washings and also try massaging your scalp after washing to stimulate sebum. Your scalp may b etight and itchy because its dry.

I tried daily cowashing but Ive always had scalp issues, I should have known better. Plus the extra manipulation to my hair (that loves to tangle) was causing me hair loss. So now Im back to washing when I feel like it (every 3-14 days) Do what works fro your hair, if the trend aint working, stop doing it.

C

cieramichele

Some of the ingredients could have irritated your scalp. Also, you could have thrown off your scalp's pH

gymfreak336

Mega tek keeps my scalp tingling and itchy, even when I haven't used it in 2 days. It is just a very strong stimulator for me.

Also, check your iron.

pinkchocolatedaisy

Hmmm.. I'll have to pay closer attention and see. I don't think Im allergic to anything. :look:

Have either of you tried hot oil treatment concentrated on your scalp? Also are you allergic to any products? I had itchy scalp a couple of times and it was actually due to a few things.

1. Not washing enough
2. My scalp did not like ingredients in certain conditioners.
3. If I do oil my scalp I can only use certain products ( Indian Hemp grease, Tea Tree Oil, etc.)

I hope that helps.

pinkchocolatedaisy

You know, I haven't been real consistent in taking my iron lately. I'll have to do that too, I'm already anemic/borderline as it is.

Mega tek keeps my scalp tingling and itchy, even when I haven't used it in 2 days. It is just a very strong stimulator for me.

Also, check your iron.

pinkchocolatedaisy

Thanks ladies for all the responses. I think I may be addicted to cowashing, but right now with my hair so short and lack of styling skills, I don't know how to do my hair otherwise unless it's been wet. :perplexed Maybe I will have to space out my cowashes- every other day or every two days?