What are your opinions on a few breaking hairs?

Leshia

Would everyone agree that it's normal to get a few broken hairs with handling your hair on a daily basis? I'm out of the shedding phase--I think. But now, I'm finding a few broken hairs after handling. I started using the Parnevu leave in conditioner (creamy, dry hair formula conditioner) and I'm wondering if it's that...Does every get some breakage with handling?

G

I see no one responded to this, so I will!

I too get broken hairs from time to time and I think it is normal.

There's nothing to do be done anyway, but to be more careful next time. I understand your pain though, because we don't want ANY broken hairs. I can stand some shedding, but breakage is almost heartbreaking.

In any event, this should cheer you up. I was in an auto accident back in November and thrown from the car. During the ejection, a part of the left side of my hair was snatched out. Broken almost to the scalp in some places.

I have noticed that the broken sections are growing back really fast. Much faster than the overall growth of the rest of my hair.

This may sound impossible, but it seems as if broken hairs grow faster to catch up with the rest of the hair. Not sure if it's true or not (who has studied it), but that seems to be what is happening.

So, your broken hairs should grow back faster
I HOPE

EmeraldSky

Re: What are your opinions on a few breaking hairs

I posted about the same thing, I loose about 10-15 hair everyday in total after combing, I get the impression that's it's pretty normal. I think some breakage from every day handling is to be expected, maybe not 15 like me, but if it's under that number I wouldn't worry about it unless there are other signs that your hair needs extra attention, like dryness, frizzy ends, etc. also if you hair has increased breakage than before perhaps it's connected with some change in your regimen.

G

Yes, I've experienced that too, Emerald, if I change my regimen slightly my hair will shed, but then stop once it's accustomed to teh new regimen.

Some shedding is inevitable and just every day handling of any kind is going to produce minute breakage.

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to do be done anyway, but to be more careful next time. I understand your pain though, because we don't want ANY broken hairs. I can stand some shedding, but breakage is almost heartbreaking.

In any event, this should cheer you up. I was in an auto accident back in November and thrown from the car. During the ejection, a part of the left side of my hair was snatched out. Broken almost to the scalp in some places.

I have noticed that the broken sections are growing back really fast. Much faster than the overall growth of the rest of my hair.

This may sound impossible, but it seems as if broken hairs grow faster to catch up with the rest of the hair. Not sure if it's true or not (who has studied it), but that seems to be what is happening.

I HOPE

[/ QUOTE ]

Blossom,

Glad you're with me on this. I thought I was being careful, but it seems like just as I'm holding and twisting for a ponytail, sure enough when I pull my hands away there is a strand or two of broken hair. I even get some when I work a leave in through my hair sometimes! I think I'm going to really start paring down my products. Simple might also be the key to figuring things out. By the by, glad you're well, despite what seems like an horrible accident. May God Bless and thanks!

Leshia

I guess I'd better pare down the regimen. I'd swear it was the Parnevu leave in. I think I may stop using this one. Thanks ladies!

Brownie

I usually get more shedding than breakage (I think), but believe me, I'm not happy to see either one. I know some people would die if one hair broke, but I'm not overly concerned with breakage or shedding, unless I notice more than 30 hairs lost a day. I think the average is like 50-100, through shedding, but I set my benchmark at 30 hairs.

Valerie

Yes, I think it is normal, plus for me it usually occurs, if I don't rinse the day before. But once I do very few it see. Shedding happens every day, your hairs are in different stages of their life cycle. If you don't comb your hair for a week or more, the shredding would seem like more. As long as you comb your hair carefully, and deep condition, breakage can be kept to a minimum.

localhost

I recently complained about little broken hairs, too. I found that it was the products that was causing the breakage. Anything sticky (like leave-ins) or greasy (like grease or oil moisturizer) caused extra friction between my hair and my hands/comb.

Now, I C/O wash everyday, and when I rinse the conditioner out, I only rinse out 90% of it. While my hair is soaking wet, I pin it up into a little bun, and pat some of the water out with my towel. I then throw on my du-rag, and go to bed.

In the morning when I take the durag off and unpin my bun, my hair is really soft and smooth, and kind of damp were the bun was. I then oil my ends and redo my bun, and I'm good to go.

I've figured out that my hair doesn't need to a ton of products in order to get it to 'lay right'. The conditioner is all my hair needs...Who would've thought??!!

Surprisingly, I have NO breakage, but I do shed only a few hairs while I'm in the shower. With this method, I don't need to comb/brush my hair - the water does the hard work for me.

I know I rambled on, but I hope this has helped you.

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]
I recently complained about little broken hairs, too. I found that it was the products that was causing the breakage. Anything sticky (like leave-ins) or greasy (like grease or oil moisturizer) caused extra friction between my hair and my hands/comb.

Now, I C/O wash everyday, and when I rinse the conditioner out, I only rinse out 90% of it. While my hair is soaking wet, I pin it up into a little bun, and pat some of the water out with my towel. I then throw on my du-rag, and go to bed.

In the morning when I take the durag off and unpin my bun, my hair is really soft and smooth, and kind of damp were the bun was. I then oil my ends and redo my bun, and I'm good to go.

I've figured out that my hair doesn't need to a ton of products in order to get it to 'lay right'. The conditioner is all my hair needs...Who would've thought??!!

Surprisingly, I have NO breakage, but I do shed only a few hairs while I'm in the shower. With this method, I don't need to comb/brush my hair - the water does the hard work for me.

I know I rambled on, but I hope this has helped you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, I think I'm going to give this one a "go". Let me see if it smooths me out enough. I think I'm also going to have to throw out some stuff...

localhost

Leshia,

Please post your results; I'd like to see how this works for you. But if I were you, I wouldn't throw anything out just yet
. Maybe keep all of your products in a shoe box or on a closet shelf just in case? I have a whole linen closet full of products that I've bought but don't really use anymore. Why? Because it's an investment!

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]

I HOPE

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, Blossom I sorry to hear of your car accident. I hope you are feeling much better, and glad you're Ok to tell the tale. That's scary enough to read, let alone go through.

adrienne0914

yeah, when i wear my hair down, i notice broken hairs pretty consistently. it decreases for me with the use of -cone products, but overuse of those present their own problems. that's why i just wear my hair up most of the time...

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]
Leshia,

Please post your results; I'd like to see how this works for you. But if I were you, I wouldn't throw anything out just yet
. Maybe keep all of your products in a shoe box or on a closet shelf just in case? I have a whole linen closet full of products that I've bought but don't really use anymore. Why? Because it's an investment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will!
you know, it seems scary to try since I can't really see what I'm doing in the shower, but darn if it still doesn't sound fantastic. I can't really bear to throw anything out, I guess I was being a bit dramatic. Although, I did toss that Cathy Howse conditioner. That stuff was fighting me tooth and nail and IT won! Just curious, have you ever wrapped your hair while in the shower?

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
I will!
you know, it seems scary to try since I can't really see what I'm doing in the shower, but darn if it still doesn't sound fantastic. I can't really bear to throw anything out, I guess I was being a bit dramatic. Although, I did toss that Cathy Howse conditioner. That stuff was fighting me tooth and nail and IT won! Just curious, have you ever wrapped your hair while in the shower?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't wrapped my hair while in the shower b/c my 365 challenge is to wear it in a bun -- no exceptions. But I'm confident that wrapping it will work. Next May, when I'm free to wear it down sometimes, that's exactly how I plan to get it straight. If you do wrap it, let me know how it works for you!

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I HOPE

[/ QUOTE ]

Blossom,

Glad you're with me on this. I thought I was being careful, but it seems like just as I'm holding and twisting for a ponytail, sure enough when I pull my hands away there is a strand or two of broken hair. I even get some when I work a leave in through my hair sometimes! I think I'm going to really start paring down my products. Simple might also be the key to figuring things out. By the by, glad you're well, despite what seems like an horrible accident. May God Bless and thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much, Leshia. It was a horrible ordeal and I'm glad God saw me through it. Others haven't been quite as lucky as myself. Thanks again.

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I HOPE

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, Blossom I sorry to hear of your car accident. I hope you are feeling much better, and glad you're Ok to tell the tale. That's scary enough to read, let alone go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks London Diva... I'm very fortunate

tekmommie

Blossom, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but overjoyed to know you are okay.

I too feel like less is more with our hair, I have a regimine that works and I stick with it no matter what I read. I will introduce a new product (maintenance) every 3 mos or so (unless something major changes). But for now no changes for me!