expect more breakage while transitioning?

ZLUVSNEWZEE

I've read so many threads that talk about shedding only 5 hairs a day and never having broken strands. I always have shed and broken hairs, everyday. I don't think its a lot but apparently it is because some people don't shed outside of wash days. I feel like I'm doing everything right...I only comb when conditioner is in my hair, I wear PS styles daily, I only use the blowdryer on occasion, don't use any other heat, mands daily, baggy for 2 hours a day give or take. Could it be that my hair will have more breaking/shedding because I have two textures? I want to be to get to my ultimate goal length which is full bsl soon but now I'm concerned my shed/breaksge may hinder that. I don't have time for more treatments and I know I can only maintain what feels like simple steps. Is daily shedding and breakage within reason normal for a transitioner?

NikkiGirl

I don't think shedding/breakage is to be absolutely expected. I transitioned for two years with no breakage or shedding. I did deal with tangles which was annoying, but I protective styled, stayed away from heat and kept my hair moisturized and I was fine. I do think having two textures can be hard to deal with, but for me that was only from a styling point. I didn't really like braid outs or the like. So I absolutely think you can do it without breakage and shedding, you might just have to adjust your reggie to fit your transitioning needs.

alive

I've read so many threads that talk about shedding only 5 hairs a day and never having broken strands. I always have shed and broken hairs, everyday. I don't think its a lot but apparently it is because some people don't shed outside of wash days. I feel like I'm doing everything right...I only comb when conditioner is in my hair, I wear PS styles daily, I only use the blowdryer on occasion, don't use any other heat, mands daily, baggy for 2 hours a day give or take. Could it be that my hair will have more breaking/shedding because I have two textures? I want to be to get to my ultimate goal length which is full bsl soon but now I'm concerned my shed/breaksge may hinder that. I don't have time for more treatments and I know I can only maintain what feels like simple steps. Is daily shedding and breakage within reason normal for a transitioner?

i think it's quite normal to get a noticeable amount of shedding/breakage. especially if your natural hair is extremely coily. the easiest way out is to keep PSing as much as possible. you might also want to make sure that your protein/moisture balance is in check. hope that helps somewhat. i didn't really have the patience to transition for very long. i just hacked it all off :lol:

swtpea

I do not think the two go hand & hand. For one, I am using very low manipulation stylesmatmthis point. I am experiencing very little shedding. And secondly, I have not noticed a real difference between my natural & relaxed textures. I'm 15 months post & I still cannot locate a line of demarcation. Rollersets via Curlformers is making this transition a breeze for me.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

I like Bantu knot out, it's my go to style and id like to stick with it so im going to find something that will work for this PS style. just doing strand tests I can see some stands are moisturized while others just snap. I guess I need to work on moisture but that means I may need to moisture twice a day. Could my hair be drying out by the end of the day?