WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PREPARE YOUR HAIR FOR WINTER FLAT IRONING?

westNDNbeauty

Just thought it may be cool to share how everyone is prepping for winter straightening.

Your ideas may help another person prepare properly for the best and most desired results.

Hair Type?
How Often You Plan to Straighten?
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine?

Reference Thread which includes pics and video of how I straighten.

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

Hair Type? 4a
How Often You Plan to Straighten? Once a month
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? Henna-ing every other week for increased weight of my strands and loosening my curls. Steaming with moisture based conditioners weekly to counter act the henna as well as to make sure my strands are infused with moisture.

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

Hair Type: 3c/4a
How Often You Plan to Straighten?: Once a month
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine?: Currently wet bunning daily and strengthening strands with Megatek and Aphogee Keratin + Green Tea. I may BKT this fall for ease with straightening. If I don't, I will just get DBs to straighten. Not doing anything right now, but I may put myself on a rollerset weekly challenge come September in order to get my rollersetting skills PERFECT.

LaFemmeNaturelle

4a, plan on straightening once a month, the only thing I'll be doing is adding protein treatments back into my reggie and will probably only do it the wash before i straighten

Sianna

Hmm interesting. Is it a good idea to straighten in the winter? If so why?

This is a good question. I thought the advantage of straightening in the winter take advantage of the lack of humidity, but I'm wondering if the dry air, coupled with the necessity to keep straightened hair away from anything water based, would be bad for your hair? Especially for those who plan on straightening frequently.

For those of you who plan to straighten monthly, how do you keep your hair from becoming overly dry and brittle?

westNDNbeauty

This is a good question. I thought the advantage of straightening in the winter take advantage of the lack of humidity, but I'm wondering if the dry air, coupled with the necessity to keep straightened hair away from anything water based, would be bad for your hair? Especially for those who plan on straightening frequently.

For those of you who plan to straighten monthly, how do you keep your hair from becoming overly dry and brittle?

I personally think any season can result in dry hair. The winter air can cause dryness as well as the summer sun can cause dryness.

Sianna, you are right. The advantage of straightening in the winter is to avoid the humidity which results in longer lasting straight styles. And you should be weary of water-based products while your hair is straight, but if you prepare your hair and condition it well, you should be able to go a week with just sealing with an oil-based product until your next wash/deep moisture conditioning. After all, I've learned for optimal results, you must condition your hair well with moisture before attempting to straighten, so dry hair should not be a problem for someone with hair that is properly prepped for straightening.

I personally don't have any problems with dry hair. I DC with moisture and blow-dry with a moisturizing liquid and and then flat iron. It results in flow straight hair. I don't add anything to it after that because my scalp begins to produce its own oils throughout the week.

My Friend

I personally think any season can result in dry hair. The winter air can cause dryness as well as the summer sun can cause dryness.

Sianna, you are right. The advantage of straightening in the winter is to avoid the humidity which results in longer lasting straight styles. And you should be weary of water-based products while your hair is straight, but if you prepare your hair and condition it well, you should be able to go a week with just sealing with an oil-based product until your next wash/deep moisture conditioning. After all, I've learned for optimal results, you must condition your hair well with moisture before attempting to straighten, so dry hair should not be a problem for someone with hair that is properly prepped for straightening.

I personally don't have any problems with dry hair. I DC with moisture and blow-dry with a moisturizing liquid and and then flat iron. It results in flow straight hair. I don't add anything to it after that because my scalp begins to produce its own oils throughout the week.

Which products do you use?

lilsparkle825

I need to look into that Nioxin Thermal Bliss. My plan is to follow GabbanaGirl's (TheMoptopMaven) old regimen and straighten at the beginning of the month, then wear it straight for 4 weeks. I usually don't have a problem with dry hair, especially since I do deposit a lot of moisture in my hair by way of DCing before straightening. Coconut oil works well for me if I DO need a touch of moisture during the week. Although it worked for me when I wore my hair straight last November, I have EVOO and avocado oil on hand in case the weather gets too cold and the EVCO freezes on my strands.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I agree. I only moisturize once or twice a week anyway so when wearing it straight, I will probably not moisturize that week and a teeny bit at the end of the week and just do bantu knots for the following week.

Renewed1

Hair Type? 3b/c 4a
How Often You Plan to Straighten? Every other week.
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? I DC everyweek and blowdry. I'm just prepping my hair.

BillsBackerz67

My reasoning for straightening in the winter is that its COLD and washing several times per week and going out with wet hair in freezing temps is not the business :nono:

If I really wanted to I can keep a press for 5 weeks :look: Im able to do this because I never had an issue with itchy irritated scalp, and because I dont put anything on my scalp to begin with, the buildup I get is minimal.

As far as moisture. I just focus on my ends with something light and oil based whether it me grease or oilbased moiturizer. Nothing water based.

Also with straight hair I dont need to comb or detangle as often as I would when my hair is curly for obvious reasons.

As far as prepping i just DC often.

BillsBackerz67

Funny you mention that. I never had brittle or dry ends with straight hair. When my hair is curly or airdried....ugh brittle as hell. I think its easier for the moisturizer to penetrate the strands when my hair is straight. When it's curly nothing seems to work as well.

Hair Type? 3c/4a
How Often You Plan to Straighten? No more than once a month
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? Protein treatments!!!

I'm transitioning, btw.

frida1980

Hair Type? 4a/4b
How Often You Plan to Straighten? No more than twice a month
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? Protein treatments, Sabino MB, steaming, and better drying techniques.

frida1980

Wearing hair straight in the winter is just as trying as wearing in natural in the hot months. I like walking a lot, but the sun gives my hair a beating. It feels like it just got blow dried crisp.

No, in the winter, I sweat less and there less humidity. Since I'm less likely to be outdoors and in the elements, there's less few of ruining my hair.

The way I protect my straightened hair from getting too dry is DC-ing every week with heat. I do add some moisture before wrapping, to ensure that it stays straight overnight. Normally olive oil does the best job in keeping it soft. The oil goes a long way in keeping it soft during the week.

westNDNbeauty

Wearing hair straight in the winter is just as trying as wearing in natural in the hot months. I like walking a lot, but the sun gives my hair a beating. It feels like it just got blow dried crisp.

No, in the winter, I sweat less and there less humidity. Since I'm less likely to be outdoors and in the elements, there's less few of ruining my hair.

The way I protect my straightened hair from getting too dry is DC-ing every week with heat. I do add some moisture before wrapping, to ensure that it stays straight overnight. Normally olive oil does the best job in keeping it soft. The oil goes a long way in keeping it soft during the week.

co-sign on that.

Tiye

Just thought it may be cool to share how everyone is prepping for winter straightening.

Your ideas may help another person prepare properly for the best and most desired results.

Hair Type?
How Often You Plan to Straighten?
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine?

Hair Type? 4b
How Often You Plan to Straighten? Maybe every two weeks. This will be my first winter doing it so I have to play it by ear to figure out the right schedule.
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? Ceramides. They work! See the ceramides thread if you haven't. Right now I'm getting them through sunflower oil and I'll be adding wheat germ oil soon. I just bought a bonnet dryer and plan to learn how to roller set and also do my own home lower heat, version of the Dominican blowout.

Lots of people with naturally curly or coily or kinky hair wear a straight look year round. So I don't see the problem as long as the hair is well conditioned. What are your thoughts?

This is my first season using heat but I haven't had a problem with dryness. I've been using coconut and/or jbco once or twice/week and just added sunflower oil to the mix. I will also add I wear wigs or headwraps so it is covered most of the time and I straighten for heat training purposes. My hair does not go to bone straight and if it did I'm not sure that it would stay that way for more than a few hours. It is more of a kinky straight look and that lasts until I wet it again.

My reasoning for straightening in the winter is that its COLD and washing several times per week and going out with wet hair in freezing temps is not the business :nono:

If I really wanted to I can keep a press for 5 weeks :look:
Im able to do this because I never had an issue with itchy irritated scalp, and because I dont put anything on my scalp to begin with, the buildup I get is minimal.

As far as moisture. I just focus on my ends with something light and oil based whether it me grease or oilbased moiturizer. Nothing water based.

Also with straight hair I dont need to comb or detangle as often as I would when my hair is curly for obvious reasons.

As far as prepping i just DC often.

Wow - reading fast I thought you said 5 days which is reasonable then I did a double take. It sounds like your hair is pretty well heat trained. I wash my hair about once/week in any season and I also don't really go anywhere with my hair wet - any time of year, I just don't like it. It's easy enough to schedule shampoos for times when you're going to be in the house for a while.

darlingdiva

Great thread, OP!

My hair type is 4a/4b & I plan on flat-ironing once a month. The extra step that I plan to add is steam treatments.

lilsparkle825

Wow - reading fast I thought you said 5 days which is reasonable then I did a double take. It sounds like your hair is pretty well heat trained. I wash my hair about once/week in any season and I also don't really go anywhere with my hair wet - any time of year, I just don't like it. It's easy enough to schedule shampoos for times when you're going to be in the house for a while.
My straight hair can also last that long, and my hair is not heat trained at all. It's all about the techniques you use to get it straight and the stuff you put on it (or don't put on it) for added moisture during the month.

Tiye

My straight hair can also last that long, and my hair is not heat trained at all. It's all about the techniques you use to get it straight and the stuff you put on it (or don't put on it) for added moisture during the month.

In that case one of you ladies needs to do the youtube tutorial on presses that last up to 5 weeks. I'm sure you'll get lots of traffic.

westNDNbeauty

In that case one of you ladies needs to do the youtube tutorial on presses that last up to 5 weeks. I'm sure you'll get lots of traffic.

Actually, my presses lasts until my next wash day, whether it is one week or a month later. My youtube video is up and running :grin: Maybe I'll rename it. lol.

It's really all about well moisturized and conditioned hair. Personally, My hair gets straighter as the time passes. But I usully will not wear my hair straight beyond 2 weeks because my scalp will be itching way too much.

chelleypie810

^^^Tell me about it!
-I have no idea of my hair type..but I wear my hair straight through the year..I'm relaxed..
-I think I'm just gonna go back to my every two weeks rollerset or flat ironing..and DC whenever I do this which is what I do on a normal basis.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Hair Type? I'm 3C with a little 4A
How Often You Plan to Straighten? Every other week.
What Extra Step Have You Added to Your Routine? I wet bun through the warm months (in MI, that's usually April through about September or so), so I'm using no heat and DC every week with ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I also do a protein treatment every six weeks or so with Joico K-Pak; I'll continue to do that through the fall and winter when I'm blowing my hair out and flat ironing it. I will also add Profectiv Megagrowth to my cold weather regimen, which includes the Joico Silk Result line, ORS, and aPhogee Provitamin leave in. I seal with Chi Silk Infusion.