what are you doing to nurture your scalp?

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
If you know my history, you know I have had severe scalp issues resulting in hair loss and a painful burning sensation in my crown area. So I have been caring for my scalp better in the past 3 years with noticeable improvement. I am still in recovery mode so I still do quite a bit to my scalp.

I do some type of water rinse or cleansing twice a week to make sure I get a full dose of water on my scalp to ward of dehydration.

I use a scalp treatment before each cleansing.

I oil my crown on wash day and several times a week with an additional scalp treatment.

And every now and then I do an overnight treatment before wash day.

I need to add scalp massages but I continue to talk myself out of it. But I will do better.

You are so inspiring. I've seen your progress pics and you have made a complete 180. I admire your tenacity.

What's in your scalp rx? faithVA

Channy31

I felt the same way for a long time! But then I started thinking about how much effort and time I put into having healthy hair while completely ignoring my scalp (other than frequent cleansing). I want my hair at optimal health and it struck me how I don't take the time to make sure that my scalp is at optimal health, too. It's like having really healthy hair and only putting the most natural, organic products on it, but eating frankenfood errday lol.

I don't know what frankenfood is :)look:) but I feel like my hair is growing fine and my hair is long and healthy. I don't know why (maybe I've read/ heard it or something) but I think the scalps natural oils are enough.

Plus I'm lazy haha.

faithVA

You are so inspiring. I've seen your progress pics and you have made a complete 180. I admire your tenacity.

What's in your scalp rx? faithVA

Thank You. I don't know why I have to take the 40 years in the wilderness journey with everything though :lol:

I don't really know what's in my latest products. :lol: :look:

Since I'm not making my own, I read the ingredient bottles before I purchase but I don't remember the ingredients after that.

I'm using Silk Elements Scalp Treatment because I think I got it free from Sally's. I think it has menthol in it :blush: It's not natural but I'm using it.

I also use Organicals Follicle Stimulating Conditioner which I got from Ingredients to Die For. Sometimes I throw some EOs in it.

And I'm using Nature's Blessings hair grease.

After I use these up I will probably go back to making my own oils. Hopefully my scalp will be completely recovered by then.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Thank You. I don't know why I have to take the 40 years in the wilderness journey with everything though :lol:

I don't really know what's in my latest products. :lol: :look:

Since I'm not making my own, I read the ingredient bottles before I purchase but I don't remember the ingredients after that.

I'm using Silk Elements Scalp Treatment because I think I got it free from Sally's. I think it has menthol in it :blush: It's not natural but I'm using it.

I also use Organicals Follicle Stimulating Conditioner which I got from Ingredients to Die For. Sometimes I throw some EOs in it.

And I'm using Nature's Blessings hair grease.

After I use these up I will probably go back to making my own oils. Hopefully my scalp will be completely recovered by then.

:lol: @40 years in the wilderness lol I want to try Anabelle's Perfect Blends Scalp Rx (I don't remember the actual name) next time I make an order. I think it's like a pomade/hair grease. You're making me want to hit up Sally BS lol faithVA

nakialovesshoes

For now I do an overnight prepoo on Friday nights by oiling my scalp with EVCO. When my $ is right, I'll get some Heather Lorraine filtered jojoba oil & use that as well.

I keep saying I'm going back to my growth aids - NJoy's oil and the GroAut oil but I never can stay consistent with topical growth aids.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I always :love: a Good Scalp Rx (Treatment).

I like a Pre-Treatment, Tonics, Scalp Butters, etc.....I always like to try those types of products.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
LivingDoll, I was referring to coffee based products purchased from vendors. A favorite of mine was Hairitage Hydration Jar of Joe. Claudie's have a coffee cream also although I've never tried it. No hair color change.

sunnieb

Weekly honey treatments - raw, unfiltered honey only. I really take the time to massage the honey into my scalp, then let sit for an hour with a plastic cap on before rinsing.

Drinking 100oz of water daily.

Wenbev

I oil my scalp with either bee mine serum, coconut oil with an essential oil mixed in, castor oil or avo oil in a applicator bottle. I don't have a dry or itchy scalp nor do I have buildup from oiling as I apply very lightly.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
i saw a video by prettywitty77 on YT and used her mixture of EVOO, JBCO, Coconut oil, and a few drops of peppermint oil. i use this on my scalp every 2-3 days and really noticing a difference in my hairs condition. :yep:

emada

sugarplum

What difference have you noticed in your hair? I just made an oil blend with rosemary, lavender, thyme, and peppermint and I'm wondering if I should continue using it because the smell isn't all that LOL.

bluenvy

I pre poo with jbco. Once wash/dc out the way, squeeze out excess water and spray in mixture of mostly grape seed oil, part jojoba oil, few drops peppermint from applicator spray bottle.
I apply sparingly to scalp and apply some to ends and massage scalp and work my way to ends. I wet bun it up and that's that. Throughout the week I take down my bun, spray in water, moisturize than seal with this mixture. I like how soft it makes my hair feel

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@DoDo how did this work out for you? My scalp has been super dry/ finicky this season. I just grabbed some of my cream and applied it to my scalp last night. It immediately felt less tight. I love cerave lotion and the cream and i'm thinking about reapplying the cream a few times a week.
I am actually thinking of applying a little Cerave pm on my scalp bi-weekly to keep it moisturized without making it itch later on. It works really well on my facial skin, isn't scalp just facial skin :look:?

CodeRed

I've been moisturizing it with either an oil mix or grease... grease stays put better so I don't need a plastic cap when laying down (only a satin bonnet) but I'm going to see if it's as effective as my oil mix.

maxineshaw

I use a shampoo every time I wash. I make sure to thoroughly massage it so that my scalp is clean. Several times a week I apply an oil, usually Wild Growth Oil or EVCO. My scalp has gotten even more dry and flaky lately. Doing this helps to keep it moisturized and flake free.

I also used JBCO. Great on my scalp,but way too heavy on my fine strands.

claud-uk

I never used to put anything on my scalp bc I didn't like the feeling, but then it was feeling reeaally dry one day earlier this year so I bust open an Omega 369 capsule and rubbed that on and it felt so good and stopped the dryness INSTANTLY! I started applying a capsule monthly to nourish my scalp.

For the last month I've been applying a mix of:

Omega 369 oil,
odorless garlic oil,
castor oil,
peppermint, rosemary and black pepper essential oils
sulfur

to both nourish my scalp and help with regrowth after severe undiagnosed iron-deficiency anaemia had me shedding bundles for a year. Massaging the mix in daily is helping massively, my hairline is filling in and creeping forward really fast.

NaturalEnigma

I got a free sample of Shescentit's Scalp Boosting botanical spray along with my order. I got scared when it actually started to stimulate my scalp. You know that feeling you get when the stylist puts the relaxer in your hair and it just starts to burn...........mmmm yeah. I didn't like how it made my scalp feel, and it lasted for at least 10-15 minutes. My hair the next day felt dry afterwards. I used to apply jojoba oil to my scalp when I was relaxed and it worked wonders for my hair. I felt like it made my hair thicker. I remember reading that jojoba oil resembles the scalp's natural sebum so does macadamia oil. It was easier to apply oils when my hair was relaxed, now that its natural its a lot harder to section my hair that's why I stopped oiling my scalp.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
  • I use Silk Elements Pre Cleanse Scalp Treatment + liquid AHAs before washing my hair, to exfoliate my scalp.
  • I shampoo weekly to remove product buildup.
  • I apply aloe vera gel to my scalp nightly. Sometimes I'll mix it with a light oil.
All of these things soothe my scalp seborrheic dermatitis and don't take too much time.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I had to give up conditioners because they were giving me flakes, although my scalp never got dry. Years of frustration, wasted time and money to fix this issue was one of the reasons I kept buzzing my hair off. Regular cold-pressed castor oil and water only have been my heros for over a year now.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I don't use anything. Everything makes my scalp itch. Since I stopped relaxing it's been much better. When I wash, I don't scrub my scalp, just gently massage.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm starting to massage my scalp with Nioxin treatment a couple times a week. It gives my scalp a nice cool tingle.

make_me_over

Lately I've been massaging my scalp before washing once a week with an oil mix. Castor, tea tree, neem, rosemary, peppermint, & amla powder. I guess its beneficial, it feels great.

Blue_Berry

Rarely anything. I use to apply oil religiously to my scalp for years. Now I oil my scalp once or "maybe" twice week or not at all, because of busy lifestyle (I have time to moisture and seal my hair, because it's quicker). My hair seems to be growing well. Actually, it's growing faster, because I am not dwelling on my hair like I used too and not manipulating it too much. However, I do take good care of my hair (wash and condition [or deep treatment] weekly than moisturize it). I do this to keep it healthy and from breaking so my hair can retain length. Now, I have twists and trying to get a different regimen down.

Last edited: