Wet hair = Longer Hair / Dry hair = Shorter Hair

KinksnCurlz

Hmmm, that sounds odd but that is exactly what is happening to me. I notice a few months ago (November to be exact) after i got my hair relaxed my hair was darn near tapping my bra strap - maybe about 1 1/2" shorter. The stylist even commented on how long my hair was (i guess she saw me staring at my hair like
WHOA!) In any event, the next day i got the weave and when that stylist cut it *weave*, i told her it was too long and i wanted it shorter, she mentioned that my hair and the weave was the same length and even grabbed a section of my hair just to show me. I told her that my hair is longer when wet and she looked at me like 'yeah, okay... rite'. Needless to say, when my hair dried, she cut the weave
. I wash my hair about 1x a week (sometimes 2) and my hair is never past my tattoo - that's my 'my hair grew/didn't grow guideline
) This past Sunday, i washed my hair and my hair is now 2" past my tattoo (YEAH!!! FINALLY
) - when wet - and now that it's dry, it looks like it's at the end of my tattoo. What gives? This is sooo frustrating. Does anyone else have this issue/problem? If so, please share. Thanks.

Armyqt

This may actually be a good thing for you CH. It sounds like your hair has a lot of elasticity. It stretches more when wet and and returns to "normal" when dried. Just a theory

KinksnCurlz

But i don't want to b 'normal'
I want my hair to stop 'teasing' me and grow already
I love it, i hold it, i squeeze it, i clean it... i do everything imaginable to get my hair to cooperate and grow grow grow but it won't stop playing these games with me...
yes, i know i need help

Isis

Your hair is just trying to tell you, "I did grow long and beautiful just like you wanted, can't you see?!"

Honi

There is no board.
Yep! I agree. My hair when wet looks way longer than dry. After my touch up I was like YEAH! I'm gettin close to waist length. Then it dried...and now I'm like

karezone

Yeah mine does that too especially after a relaxer. After abotu 8 weeks my hair starts to grow out instead of down.

Lindy

Yes, wet hair usually looks longer than dry. That's why some people like to do their trims on dry hair...

KinksnCurlz

I never really thought about getting my ends trimmed when dry
but that darn sure makes a whole heap-o-sense now

butterfly7

Is it because the water weighs it down and as long as it's wet it's stretched? Sometimes when I am going to measure my hair, I wet the ends so it will be stretched to it's fullest length.

Long hair Miss CH!

LondonDiva

CH I have the exact same "problem" I say it like that cause I don't really mind it. Officially when wet I am bra strap. When dry with no heat it can be as much as 2-3 inches shorter.

KinksnCurlz

But isn't that frustrating LD? Don't you get all souped up (well at least i do b/c like i said, it's not always that long after every wash) and then when your hair is dry ur like WTF?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
This is normal for natural hair (esp 3b/c and 4a), so I guess your hair has a lot of elasticity as someone said earlier. It's also normal for other people to have "shrinking" hair when wet. It depends on what kind of hair you have naturally.

chicamorena

My hair is exactly like that. When My hair is wet, it's touching the top of my brastrap. But when it's dry, it can shrink to 2 even inches above brastrap. I think it's because my hair isn't relaxed bone straight, so I have a lot of shrinkage.

ChasingBliss

This happens to me too, it used to bother me a lot, but Im okay with now, either way it looks, it will continue to grow and Im happy with that.

MoezThunder

Well atleast i know I'm in good company now. I was beginning to think my shoulders were double-jointed or something else weird like that!

DahomeyAmazon

Re: Wet hair = Longer Hair / Dry hair = Shorter Ha

Hi Caramel Honee,

I know why wet hair is longer than dry hair.
When human hair is exposed to humidity it stretches. Being that when wet, your hair experiences 100% humidity and is totally saturated the strands will stretch up to 4%, as your hair loses water it will shrink back to normal. It doesn't matter if your hair is processed or not. There is actually a scientific instrument used to measure humidity with human hair it's called a hair hygrometer.
yay, this proves my education is good for something.

anyway, hth,
Sia

moneychaser

So what do ya'll think the difference is in inches?? My hair while wet is definatley bra-strap
but this is far from the case when it is dry

KinksnCurlz

I think at least 1" at most 2"
It's amazing isn't it? i find myself looking at my hair moreso when it's wet, then when it's dry and out