hair seems longer when wet than dry/flat ironed

Brownie

I've noticed that after I wash or rinse my hair and measure for length it seems longer than when my hair is dry and flat ironed.

This drives me nuts because when I get my hair flat ironed, I'm just sure it's going to show the "true" length, but it always seems 1" or so shorter than when it's wet.

Can anybody else relate? Can you see your length better when your hair is wet, versus when it's flat ironed?

zanna

yes it's because the weight of the water stretches the hair strands, so your hair, or anyone's hair is actually longer. once your hair dries, it goes back to thr regular lenght.
Zanna

I read somewhere that hair is its longest when wet, that's why it snaps so easily when wet combed because its being stretched beyond its limit.

CORBINS

I read somewhere that when trimming your hair while it's wet to consider the shrinkage that occurs after it is dry. Apparently hair shrinks, even caucasian hair when dry.

kenyana

This happens to me too. My hair is comfortably bra-strap length when I'm in the shower and about 1.5 inches off when dried straight. I read s'where that healthy hair stretches upto 40% when wet and it shrinks back to normal when dry (proof that it has normal elasticity)
I think the Dry hair length is ur true hair length and if hair is healthy it will be slightly shorter than when the hair is wet.

kenyana

.... lol! Not only did we post at the same time; we all read the same article!

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:
I've noticed that after I wash or rinse my hair and measure for length it seems longer than when my hair is dry and flat ironed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, that's with everybody!
My hair hangs below my bra-strap when wet, but when it's dry, it's well above the strap.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, that's with everybody!
My hair hangs below my bra-strap when wet, but when it's dry, it's well above the strap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's some shrinkage, Karonica. I can definitely relate. I just naturally thought that if your hair was flat ironed, it would stretch out the full amount
. I guess not. Anyway, I like my wet length much better than my dry length

A_Christian

I just washed my hair a few hours ago and noticed the difference between the wet and dry length. My hair also seems significantly longer when wet, I started thinking maybe I should keep it wet all the time to "cheat" and make it bottom of bra-strap length instead of waiting for the 2 and half or so inches I need to reach that goal for real

inthepink

I never what the reason was but I always hated getting my hair trimmed while it was wet b/c when it would get finished (blowdried and curled), it always looked like they took off a lot more than I originally thought! Now, I know why! I noticed my hair is pretty stretched when I am rinsing!

sbg4evr

My hair shrinks up when wet. I only see my true length after I comb and straighten. I have completely natural hair.

Karonica

Definitely. For hair that's permed straight (like myself), the hair hangs longer from the weight of the water. Natural 4 type hair and some 3 maybe tends to shrivel.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
I guess not. Anyway, I like my wet length much better than my dry length

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, same here.

InsertCleverNameHere

My hair is 3b/c, I'm almost sure but when I pull my hair down it's the exact same length as my wet hair but now that I think of it, I don't tug on my wet hair too much cause I'm scared of it breaking off in my hands.

AJamericanDiva

How weird is it that I was just thinking the same thing. I washed my hair today and could feel it stretching all down my back and asked my daughter to take a backshot. Hmmmm.... Once dried of the excess moisture, it's back to normal. Oh well... a girl can dream, can't she!!! Maybe this will be the motivation I need to make sure that it actually gets that length when dry.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
My hair is natural, too. Maybe that makes the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

My natural hair straightened completely out with water also
---for a few minutes, and then it got curly, but once the water hit it, I could tell the length.

Leshia

Gosh, not sure if it's my pregnancy hormones, but this "discovery" is really depressing. *sniffles* But, then again, everything gives me the sniffles...*blank stare*