Weaves

A

AmilLion

How do you ladies use weaves to grow out your hair? I hate that when I did wear them, I would lose soo many strands when I would remove the weave. Slightly considering weaving my hair until I reach a length I'm comfortable with, but considered about the shedding.

When wearing my hair out, I virtually lose any strands on a daily basis and when washing.

Energee

I've only had one weave in my life and that was last year. I used it to grow out my above ear length hair. I knew that if I didn't do a weave or hide my hair I would be tempted to cut off any progress...lol..so I went with the sewn in.

My hair grew very well. I had it taken down every 6 weeks for wash, deep conditioning. I also made sure that I kept it moisturized while I was in the weave with a spray on leave in. I would use something like Giovanni Direct (I would put it in a spray bottle with rosewater and some essential oils of my choice) and then spray my scalp and cornrows underneath the weave with the solution.

I had virtually no breakage from the weave. I only lost shed hairs (which is normal) when she took the cornrows down and even the shed hair wasn't a lot.

According to my stylist..some people can take a weave better than others. Some have strong hair and some do not. I was paranoid about my hair falling out....lol..Trust me. I was in the mirror each and every time she took it down looking for ANY sign of breakage or balding...lol. I had none thank God! I had the weave in for a year:yep:. I never got a relaxer the entire time. Instead had my stylist cut off the relaxed ends as my hair grew because I was thinking of going natural. I ended up completely natural but decided to go with a relaxer again once the weave was taken out finally.
My hair is very healthy now...but it's always been healthy pretty much. So I'm thinking that's why my hair did so well with the weave. I also had my entire horseshoe and perimeter out the entire time--except in back and that hair thrived as well..no breakage..no damage.

hothair

I'm currently doing this and it works brilliantly for me. I do the full head weaves myself though...so obviously its not too tight, I co-wash it every other day and ACV and DC once a week. Although I think I may cut down the co-wash (getting chilly) to 2ce a week and ACV once a week. I oil my scalp with vatika in the morning (using an applicator bottle) and my sulphur MN mix at night (again with an applicator bottle) I just re-did the weave and I'm pleased with my hair's progress it's gone from barely mid neck to touching shoulder so I'm VERRA happy. No pics as I'm on HYH till Dec but I've been itching to!

Also do a search for RabiaElaine's Challenges and check out Meaganita (sp?) they have a routine down pat for weaves :)