How much hair loss daily for 4a/4b? When shampooing? Confused

NoNapNique

I do not comb everyday, at the most I will lightly detangle with my fingers after I oil my scalp-so daily it is about 15 strands... But yesterday I lost like 150 after my shampoo (mixture of shedding and breakage)!!!! I was devastated, and today I feel like I am having a MAJOR set-back... Thinking about that much hair coming out makes me crazy! Especially since I am trying to "fill in" my armpit-length stringy hair! I just cannot afford to lose that much hair :crying3: I am wondering if it was the protein conditioner 2 weeks in a row (I mixed Mane and Tail cond. w/Cholesterol), and I shampooed with garlic shampoo.

But I keep hearing different things about how much hair you lose daily and when shampooing... First I heard like 50-100 strands daily... Then I heard 30-40 daily... And up to 200 when shampooing... What is normal for 4a/4b hair?

Nonie

I think everyone looses 50-~150 hairs daily. You probably don't see that much everyday because you handle your hair so gently such that any shed hairs just gets caught in the rest of your hair. It isn't until the day you wash it, that the caught hair gets released together with the hair that was shed that day. If you used to wash or comb your hair daily, the shedding (loss) would be consistent. Check out this page: http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_30.htm

Better yet, read the whole chapter: http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_20.htm (Click on "Next Page" at the bottom or top to read through the whole chapter in full.)

MizAvalon

It is normal to lose UP TO 100 hairs per day. If you aren't "handling" you hair every day, then all of the hair that would have shed daily, sheds when it gets handled on your wash day.

As long as the hairs are long, shed hairs and not short, broken off pieces then it's normal.

Mizani_Mrs

Chances are it's the dual protein that you've used. I had the same issue when i was trying to take super care of my hair and i was doing a deep protein every weekend. my hair didn't feel dry but it was shedding and breaking like crazy. Now i only deep protein once a month and i'm doing good.

also, being that you don't comb your hair everyday...you should still expect to see some of the daily breakage, accumulated. for instance if you are supposed to have normally 150hairs daily....then minus the 50hairs for combing...you should still see the 100 hairS x how many days u didn't comb.... get it?

I loose what looks like a TON of hair each time I wash it. Hair will be everywhere-- the shower walls, knobs, on the soap, on me, you name it. :lol: I don't let it bother me. I shed alot because I rarely brush my hair. It's usually pinned up or in some other style where brushing isn't necessary.

Divine Inspiration

brownhaired_bonanza said:
I loose what looks like a TON of hair each time I wash it. Hair will be everywhere-- the shower walls, knobs, on the soap, on me, you name it. :lol: I don't let it bother me. I shed alot because I rarely brush my hair. It's usually pinned up or in some other style where brushing isn't necessary.
Likewise. I used to have a coniption at all the hair I'd see. I mean if I even TOUCHED my wet hair, strands would be streaming out. I don't even trip these days b/c it's growin like a weed, and it's still very thick. Once I figure out which relaxer works best for me, I can reduce my breakage, and I'll be in business :look:

asummertyme

my hair is still short but i dont shed alot at all since i have done the BC..i dont comb often..not really until i wash my hair, but when i was i dont see more than a few hairs...but like i said, my hair is short..i think as it gets longer it will shed more..or at least be more noticable.