Weave vs. Wig

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monaleezza

I Why did I throw my head down and then back. The wig flew off & hit him in the face. Can I tell you when I saw myself and his face in the mirror, it was priceless.

:lachen:That's the best story I've read since joining this site. Love it!

I'm with you girl. It's all about the weave.

I love the permanence of it. If I had a wig, be sure that some days I'd be like, "aaw, I miss my hair, let me just..." and I'd be flat ironing and blow drying and combing and fingering my hair and all sorts.

With a weave, you better make it so that you love it coz you're lumped with it. Which isn't always such a bad thing.

Blessedmocha

I used to be a weave girl but now I'm all about the wigs... I can take it off anytime I want then wash and cowash as much as I like especially as I workout a lot... I also dont miss the constant weave itch patting in public routine.

After discovering various wig brands/styles which looks just like my prev weave styles, I will never get a weave again. Saves money and time and they last a looooong time.

barbie87

I have been dealing with a lot of issues do to weaves. I have never used wigs b4 but after checking out how lovely the ladies here make the half wigs look and im def thinking about buying one. good luck babe :)

That's it, Ladies. You've convinced me to wear a wig instead of pressing my transitioning hair this month. I love you so much for doing that (without knowing it).

Peace.

sweetgal

I prefer wigs because IMO you can better care for your hair. I used to wear weaves and I dislike when your head is hot and you cant take the hair off to wash, condition my hair as needed.

I do agree that most wigs look very fake. It's difficult to find a wig that looks natural. But sometimes the rewards out weight the negatives. I like that I dont have to attach anything to my hair. it's low manipulation and that works great for me :)

nubiennze

I swore by full sew ins while I was "transitioning," but like some of the other posters, now that I've discovered HWs it's pretty much all she wrote for the weaves. I like that my hair doesn't have to be a certain length/condition to wear a wig. With weaves I always have to consider straightening my hair to blend it (and how to keep it straight for more than five minutes without frying it) or whether my hair is long enough to lie flat and cover the tracks (or to be braided to begin with) or something. It's easier to build a protective styling regimen around wigs for sure (just ask LadyPaniolo). I've been holding on to some BoBraz forever waiting for the perfect opportunity to sew it in, but this thread all but convinced me to take the plunge and sew it onto a wig cap. I can always cut the tracks off if I change my mind later, but in the meantime, at least I can get some use out of it now.

Also, since I will NOT be straightening my hair and would have to go the full sew in route, I can make a wig look way more natural than a weave. I hate the "hair helmet" look and haven't found a weaving technique (other than lace/silk closures, which admittedly just confuse me) that looks as convincing as a good lace wig...or shoot, even a decent BSS full cap with a skin top or a curly HW. Why bother with a closure when I can spend a few more bucks for a wig that will likely last longer and almost certainly be less fuss?

Finally, I'm a total DIYer, and wigs just require less technical ability and TIME. While I can do sew ins, the results are inconsistent at best and the end often doesn't justify the means (read: I get fed up and take it down in 3-4 weeks). Too often I find myself putting it off forever (and completely neglecting my own hair in the process :ohwell:) because I just don't feel like doing it. And if I were to pay ~$200 every 8-12 weeks for someone else to do it, well...again, why not save up for 4-6 months and buy a lace wig (or two) that will last me years?

While I still like weaves and will likely experiment with them in the future, I'm definitely attracted to the thought of never having to wear any of my hair out with my protective styles. I consider myself a wig convert for sure.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i voted weave because i get the best retention with a weave as a protective style. for me no manipulation is key to retention.

i wig half the year and weave half the year, so i like both.

i like my wig months because i can get to my hair and change styles frequently. but when it gets hot out, i prefer my weave. i use weave hair that is durable and reusable, so the extensions never get matts or tangles.

my hair thrives with both.

Chameleonchick

I voted wigs. They are quick and you can change your style up instantly. I tend to wear more of the lace ones so I don't have to do any blending.

chickory_bee

I think it depends on your goal. I voted for weaves. I just want a protective style that will protect my hair from the biggest enemy (my cutting addiction). I found a great woman that lets me moisturize my hair up and then she braids it and sews the weave in on a net. Never had any problems and my hair has benefited greatly. She is gentle on the edges etc. I don't leave any hair out but I'm not really trying to "fool anyone" as my girls would say. It looks good but upon close inspection, it won't pass for my hair.

With wigs, I noticed that I was wanting to do 'something' to my hair. I justified it by claiming I was moisturizing it or the like, however, the manipulation sabotages my growth.

yorkpatties

So over flat ironing my hair to get it to match my weave texture.
Love frequent cowashing, I workout several times a week.
Love not being chained to my stylist for a cute look.
I doubt I will get a sew-in anytime in the near future.
Wigs it is.

BadMamaJama

Half wigs! My sides got thin from wearing weaves when I was preg. I discovered wigs and it was over! I love taking the wig off when I step in the house and being able to scratch my hair if I want to.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Wigs because my hair flourished when I wore them BUT that's when I didn't care if it looked wiggish. Now I am on the fence, I love wigs but I can't find a natural looking one and the same for half wigs for natural hair

I am so glad I found this thread. A friend and I were having this discussion the other day. Wigs are like instant weaves with less installation time! The key is for the wig not to look "wiggy." Generally human hair wigs tend to look less wiggy.

I love the fact that in 15 minutes I can go from frumpy to fabulous!

AtlantaJJ

I stan for good quality lace wigs. They allow me to look fly in an instant, plus I can workout hard in the mornings, go to work looking totally polished with my hair braided under the lace wig. My wigs look super natural. I can wash, condition and care for my hair whenever I get ready because I'm not all sewn up in a weave. Also since I workout in the mornings a lot, I would still have to style the weave before which takes a lot of time. The wig is already styled. I bobby pin my wigs on, I never use glue. I have beautiful healthy hair and a tight body, thanks in part to my lace wigs! :yep:

AtlantaJJ

So over flat ironing my hair to get it to match my weave texture.
Love frequent cowashing, I workout several times a week.
Love not being chained to my stylist for a cute look.
I doubt I will get a sew-in anytime in the near future.
Wigs it is.

What she said!! Every word. :yep:

I invested in a couple of nice lace wigs, one curly the other looks like flat ironed AA hair. Oh the time and effort I save because of these beauties!!

This is one of my straight units.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 83

MsEveMarie

AtlantaJJ said:

I invested in a couple of nice lace wigs, one curly the other looks like flat ironed AA hair. Oh the time and effort I save because of these beauties!!

AtlJJ is ur unit behind ur hairline at all?

I love my lace units, but the measurements are always a bit off at the temples. Did u send in a template of ur head or just measurements when u ordered?

AtlantaJJ

AtlJJ is ur unit behind ur hairline at all?

I love my lace units, but the measurements are always a bit off at the temples. Did u send in a template of ur head or just measurements when u ordered?

I just get the stock medium wigs. I don't secure them all the way around, and I always wear side sweep bangs and tuck behind my ears on one side. I also sometimes place the unit slightly behind my hairline, which helps to blend and make it look natural.

I think the measurements are really important if you plan to secure your wig with glue and wear the unit pulled back and our up in a high ponytail. I'm too lazy for all that :)

BrownSkin89

kinchen said:
:( My Chic Bob bump wig is starting to thin the front of my hair.
I loved her but she is doing me wrong.

Mmhmm. That's my issue, the edges. I am itching (literally) to snatch this weave off and wash this hair!

Grrrrr, wigs are cheaper, flexible style wise and allows one to care for their hair but weaves look nicer, protect hair all together and are lower maintenance (all IMO correct me if I'm wrong!)

tuffCOOKiE

I understand what TEAM WiG are saying, but how do you make that ish look natural? I prefer the weave because it looks more natural and not a helmet. Though, I do want to put it out there that I have seen weaves look like helmets.

Ask yourself:

Am I doing this for protective style or low manip? If it's the latter, I would say weave as a wig allows you to manipulate more.

irisak

For me weaves. They protect my hair from me. I already know in a wig, I would relax more often, flat iron more often, and just generally fcuk with my hair more than I should. Because I wear lace closures, all of my hair is hidden from me, I can still part it all kind of ways and have "scalp", and I don't have to worry about blending.

melisandre

I prefer wigs, because I can access my hair everyday. I also don't like having my hair done by other people and I sure can't install a weave. Wigs are just much more convenient for me.

irisak said:
For me weaves. They protect my hair from me. I already know in a wig, I would relax more often, flat iron more often, and just generally fcuk with my hair more than I should. Because I wear lace closures, all of my hair is hidden from me, I can still part it all kind of ways and have "scalp", and I don't have to worry about blending.
I am very interested in lace closures. If you dont mind me asking, where do you purchase them and how much do they cost?

xu93texas

AtlantaJJ,
You look good in this unit.:grin: Where do you purchase your units? I'm a wig wearer and I want to invest in 2 high quality lace front units to wear the rest of the year. Thanks in advance.

AtlantaJJ said:

wow that looks great! Looks like a weave

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ,
You look good in this unit.:grin: Where do you purchase your units? I'm a wig wearer and I want to invest in 2 high quality lace front units to wear the rest of the year. Thanks in advance.

I get them at California lace wig. I can only recommend the Malaysian units however. The hair does not tangle and is easy to care for. I have the curly Juanita unit and a I LOVE that unit. I have a straight unit and a curly unit. They are both the same length and color. I wear the straight most in the cooler months and the curly in the summer. I'm loving life!

irisak

I am very interested in lace closures. If you dont mind me asking, where do you purchase them and how much do they cost?
AlwaysSearching I bought mine from a cv (kevincn) who's contact info I got on BHM. I spent about $45 on a custom closure. The shipping for this one is kind of high because it's coming straight from China, he only accepts Western Union and the turnaround time is 3-8 weeks. However there are some good closure vendors on aliexpress also that don't have the same long turnaround and accept paypal.

MsEveMarie

AtlantaJJ said:
I just get the stock medium wigs. I don't secure them all the way around, and I always wear side sweep bangs and tuck behind my ears on one side. I also sometimes place the unit slightly behind my hairline, which helps to blend and make it look natural.

I think the measurements are really important if you plan to secure your wig with glue and wear the unit pulled back and our up in a high ponytail. I'm too lazy for all that :)

Lol nooo I've parted ways with the glue since early last year. I just couldn't be bothered! I now use tootsie's mom's method (I thank God for her everyday lol). The measurements aren't that big of an issue for me, but I wanted I just wanted my next unit to b a little closer to perfect.