Weave and your HHJ

My Friend

How do you ladies take care of your natural/relaxed hair while in a weave? I try to co-wash, moisturize, seal and a few other HH care pratices while weaved up and my weave starts to look like a HAM! The hair starts to tangle and matt. It also starts to shed. I know that part of it is over manipulation of the weave :lachen:

Please share your weave regi.

iri9109

is your weave straight or curly? when i had a weave it was a kinky/curly weave and it appreciated all the moisture it could get, so i didnt mind washing/cowashing weekly, but after about a month my braids underneath and the tracks started loosening from all the water, and i cut back to every 2 weeks, but i would still moisturize my braids & the weave with water/condish/oil/AVJ in a spray bottle almost every day...i detangled with a paddle brush or my fingers mostly...at first at night i would put it in twists, but i found my hair looked better and shed less when i just pinappled and slept on a satin pillowcase...i think straight weave maintenance is harder, especially if you're natural and you have to worry about blending, plus you dont want the hair to get wet and revert or get poofy because then you have to straighten it again and all that

My Friend

^^^^^thank you for replying. My weave was not curly. It was straight. Yes. Trying to blend natural natural hair with straight weave and practice hh care methods is hard to accomplish.

ms.blue

I'm currently wearing a straight weave and my plan is to wash my hair every two weeks. To apply my growth aid mixture, I lift every track and place the applicator bottle w/ the mixture along the rows of my braids. After that I spray my hair w/ moisture mix (knot today and water) making sure it does touch the weave hair. I do this every 2-3 days. Curly hair or virgin hair is better for cowashing than straight hair b/c it can cause the hair to knot up or tangle up bad.

HauteHippie

I'm having this issue, too! I've been cowashing a few times a week and DCing weekly. Plus, I water my hair in the morning. Once again, it is shed city! I'll sometimes use Hana Shine Shield to help restore shine and get rid of tangling, but that stuff is not cheap. It wasn't so bad with curly or kinky weave, only straight

lovelymissyoli

...be careful with all of that over manipulation and using so many products. The last thing you want is for your weave to start to smell or cause your strands to become so overly porous that they are weak and lifeless when you take your weave down.

I had my first straight weave installed back in November 2009 and I simply asked the stylist to moisturize my scalp with oil before she installed it. (Earlier that night I already applied moisturizer to my ends since I knew they'd be tucked away for a while).

After the weave was installed, I washed every 2.5-3 weeks and made sure to sit under a hooded dry until *fully* dry to the roots.

My stylist warned me about most of her clients who neglect their hair under a weave or those who try to take care of it by washing, but fail to let it dry and therefore come to her with mildew and clumps of product buildup that has formed in their hair.

I had a good experience with my straight weave, but that was only because I didn't try to treat it like I would my own hair (e.g. co-washing constantly, etc). I left it in for 2 months and took it down with no problems -- only a ton of new growth.

HauteHippie

My stylist warned me about most of her clients who neglect their hair under a weave or those who try to take care of it by washing, but fail to let it dry and therefore come to her with mildew and clumps of product buildup that has formed in their hair.

You make a really good point! I neglected to mention that I'll dry my hair on warm/cool if it doesn't dry on wash/cowash day. I've never had a problem with mildew or product buildup, but I had a tangly mess in '08 when I didn't do anything to my hair other than wash it every few weeks. I clarified with White Rain. That may have been the problem... And the hard protein... Before fully detangling! That's the problem with being a LHCF lurker. Sometimes, you only get half of the tips.

camilla

If you can afford to please invest in some virgin hair it does not tangle i have had my hair for two years and still reinstall the same hair also why not try a closure then you can keep all your hair braided and still be straight check them out we have to build the weave forum up like the other forums (bhm)

Silk Base Closures