we are watching good hair with Chris Rock in class

Lilmama1011

And I have already watched it once and I was feeling uneasy when she announced we were watching it. Tuesday we will be finishing it off, but it makes us look terrible. It's only 3 blacks in the class by the way. For those who haven't seen it, it basically says we don't spend no less than $1,000 on weaves and we spend so much money on them we don't have food in the refrigerator. Also we all hate our hair and a relax because we want to be white. Also you don't mess with a black girls' hair and we never swim (only neck down). And I live in AZ where they ask questions and don't know it's offensive. They asked the other two "how often she gets a weave, do you relax, why don't you relax", thankfully they didn't ask me. I must look mean lol. They have better not ask me "do you have food in your refrigerator". I have never worn weave ever and don't know crap about it. I would never watch a Mexican gang documentary and ask one of my Mexican classmates "are you in a gang" or "how many people in your family are in gangs".

But one of the black girls in my class is ignorant meaning she uses the "good hair bad hair" thing and "she NEEDS a relaxer if the person is natural" . The other is 47 year old black women (doesn't look it either, girl looks like early 30s) with short natural hair that is very quiet. I feel like I'm the only one with ruffled feathers. The ignorant one could answer those dumb questions. She is 19 btw. What you think?

biznesswmn

If one is ignorant and one is quiet, u may hav to step up and set the record straight. That ignorant one will hav u even more pissd off LOL

Anaisin

What kind of class is this? That ignorance shouldn't be shown in schools. I would report the teacher.

Lilmama1011

If one is ignorant and one is quiet, u may hav to step up and set the record straight. That ignorant one will hav u even more pissd off LOL

biznesswmn she already is pissing me off. She was my girl before I heard her speak on this. I have her number and everything. It's like when I speak, she is like "yup" but when she speaks on her own she embarrasses us. "I don't mind answering them, I'm use to it" that's not cool

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

What kind of class is this? That ignorance shouldn't be shown in schools. I would report the teacher.

I was thinking of calling corporate but thought i was going overboard. I seriously wish i had some black women in there that wasn't scared to speak up back me up

Last edited:

CodeRed

Girl... good luck with that. I've not seen that movie but a lot of people said it was very informative while a lot of people said it is pure ignorant... I feel like I know what I need to know about why I relax my hair and what the ingredients do to my hair. I choose to still relax and I do it at home now because I feel like it's safer. I had no need to watch that movie but if it's really like what's in your OP then I'd be better to stay away from it and people who want to talk about it.

Bun Mistress

Um, this is going ot sounds ungly, but I would ask for some of my tuition money back. School is to expensive for this tom foolery.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I don't understand what the documentary "good hair" has to do with teaching people to do black hair. :ohwell: :nono:

anoriginalpyt

Why not address the instructor about the purpose of the movie. I know it can get awkward in those environments, so why not a polite (albeit anonymous) letter about how the movie made you feel, and suggesting that it really serves no educational purpose. You guys don't watch films on dyeing or perms or bobs....

RocStar

And I have already watched it once and I was feeling uneasy when she announced we were watching it. Tuesday we will be finishing it off, but it makes us look terrible. It's only 3 blacks in the class by the way. For those who haven't seen it, it basically says we don't spend no less than $1,000 on weaves and we spend so much money on them we don't have food in the refrigerator. Also we all hate our hair and a relax because we want to be white. Also you don't mess with a black girls' hair and we never swim (only neck down). And I live in AZ where they ask questions and don't know it's offensive. They asked the other two "how often she gets a weave, do you relax, why don't you relax", thankfully they didn't ask me. I must look mean lol. They have better not ask me "do you have food in your refrigerator". I have never worn weave ever and don't know crap about it. I would never watch a Mexican gang documentary and ask one of my Mexican classmates "are you in a gang" or "how many people in your family are in gangs".

But one of the black girls in my class is ignorant meaning she uses the "good hair bad hair" thing and "she NEEDS a relaxer if the person is natural" . The other is 47 year old black women (doesn't look it either, girl looks like early 30s) with short natural hair that is very quiet. I feel like I'm the only one with ruffled feathers. The ignorant one could answer those dumb questions. She is 19 btw. What you think?

Are these the two Black women you called "ignorant" in that other thread?

ETA: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=744833

iVR

And I have already watched it once and I was feeling uneasy when she announced we were watching it. Tuesday we will be finishing it off, but it makes us look terrible. It's only 3 blacks in the class by the way. For those who haven't seen it, it basically says we don't spend no less than $1,000 on weaves and we spend so much money on them we don't have food in the refrigerator. Also we all hate our hair and a relax because we want to be white. Also you don't mess with a black girls' hair and we never swim (only neck down). And I live in AZ where they ask questions and don't know it's offensive. They asked the other two "how often she gets a weave, do you relax, why don't you relax", thankfully they didn't ask me. I must look mean lol. They have better not ask me "do you have food in your refrigerator". I have never worn weave ever and don't know crap about it. I would never watch a Mexican gang documentary and ask one of my Mexican classmates "are you in a gang" or "how many people in your family are in gangs". But one of the black girls in my class is ignorant meaning she uses the "good hair bad hair" thing and "she NEEDS a relaxer if the person is natural" . The other is 47 year old black women (doesn't look it either, girl looks like early 30s) with short natural hair that is very quiet. I feel like I'm the only one with ruffled feathers. The ignorant one could answer those dumb questions. She is 19 btw. What you think?
I've watched that movie and I didn't get that message from the movie. To me it seemed he was trying to show how they got the hair that's used for weave by manipulating a group of people through religious practices or by stealing it. I found it be educational even though I've never worn weave. But hey no one interprets stuff the same, and let the 19 year old live longer. When her edges are thinning she'll retract her statements.

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

I've watched that movie and I didn't get that message from the movie. To me it seemed he was trying to show how they got the hair that's used for weave by manipulating a group of people through religious practices or by stealing it. I found it be educational even though I've never worn weave. But hey no one interprets stuff the same, and let the 19 year old live longer. When her edges are thinning she'll retract her statements.

You do get the history of where they get the hair, while in the same sentence making black women look stupid. Like where would we be without weave and relaxers? Like the world would end for us. I'm pretty sure they are paying more attention to the negatives aspects of the movie making us look like we do anything to look "white"

Lilmama1011

He hair is thinning. I found out she pulls her relaxer through everytime. I was like that's why your hair is thin. She was like "oh I never knew you just do the new growth"

jbwphoto1

I'm waiting to hear that the quiet woman ended up slapping someone across the classroom after they mistook her for the ignorant one. lol

iVR, I'm with you on what I learned from the film. I felt bad about the people in India and other countries who feel so good about dedicating themselves to their religion, to have their hair jacked by some corporation and sold half way around the world. I also think in addition to showing all the women wearing weaves and relaxers, they also showed women who didn't and that side was given the chance to explain why. I didn't like the comment by the actress from Cold Case though. She asked why would she wear someone else's hear. You may wear someone else's hair because of a medical condition where you lost your own or because there are no stylist in an area you moved to accustomed to doing your type of hair and you have to do something until you get the chance to see your regular stylist. Or maybe because you or someone else did something to your hair and now you're waiting for it to grow out or grow in again. Or maybe you're an actress or model and you're doing a show or a photo shoot and need it for that.

Lilmama1011

I heard she doesn't play (the quiet one) from another black girl lol. They said try her if you want lol. I was like that's good. I'm semi quiet, only talk to one's that talk to me, but no one has crossed me yet. But keeps asking the 19 year old one lol. They smart

virtuenow

From the title of this thread, I thought Chris Rock was coming to watch Good Hair w/you, lol. Why not skip that day? Or just talk to the instructor.

Lilmama1011

From the title of this thread, I thought Chris Rock was coming to watch Good Hair w/you, lol. Why not skip that day? Or just talk to the instructor.

virtuenow girl I can't skip. Cosmetology school is all about hours. I don't like starting commotion and it might be a fight by myself and end up with me looking stupid

virtuenow

@virtuenow girl I can't skip. Cosmetology school is all about hours. I don't like starting commotion and it might be a fight by myself and end up with me looking stupid

Yes, I'm not a fan of skipping school, so nevermind that anyway. The idea of watching the movie is not a big deal to me; but since it is to you, yeah, I would only articulate something if I could do it without an emotional/argumentative dialogue.

1BalancedBeauty

Maybe the instructor will ask for commentary after showing the movie and you can voice that the film is a misrepresentation of black culture. Don't know how effective it will be but....