Nia Long at the "Good Hair" Forum with Chris Rock in Atlanta Bronner Brother Shows

lexiwiththecurls

Hello Ladies, I just wanted to post my blog entry to get your thoughts on Nia:

Who woulda thunk it..."Good Hair", a documentary about Weave? hmmmmmm.....Really?

Sooooo...I got to see a 10 minute clip of this documentary at the Bronner Brother's Hair Show. Chris Rock was there and Nia Long on a panel. It seemed to be the consensus that alot of us natural hair people weren't feeling it. I will say, everyone was laughing the entire time. It was definitely funny, but I think they definitely missed some key issues. They didn't get into natural hair at all. They got into relaxers and $2,000 weaves...but not about natural hair. I was kind of disappointed. Nia didn't make it any better. It seems like her view of the doc was to make women comfortable to say they have weaves. Who cares? Women are comfortable....its HOLLYWOOD Black women that aren't comfortable. So I give it to her that she can say, "Hey, I have a weave and I am proud"- but saying that the documentary makes it okay for women to have weaves---ummm, is that really the point of this doc? She wants to make women comfortable for women to wear weaves and never once mentioned about hair being healthy underneath.

What they aren't getting is, what messages are they teaching their children. I'm watching the kids get off the bus stop and this girl in ELEMENTARY school had a full weave....not micro braids or cornrows..but a straight Yaki weave. WTH?? Why do parents give up or give in to their children so easily?

I really wanted to ask Nia and Chris a question, but I figured I would get sooo much backlash because everyone in there had weaves or were stylists who did weaves. I wanted to ask why there was no Natural Hair presence. They kept making it a point that slavery started all of our hair issues...but I didn't see anything about the cause in the short excerpt which I doubt they get into. If they did, they would have to touch on natural hair. As slaves, the wavy or curly haired slaves were treated better than the kinkier haired slaves...and they ALL wanted hair like the white women. From there, our natural texture was perceived as ugly...therefore we have perms and weave to attain what some people are looking for. It all starts with natural hair.
I'm not agaisnt weaves and I wear them from time to time (about to put one in soon), but mine is more so I can give my hair a rest....not to front like its my hair. Plus anyone who has seen my hair before will know it is obviously not my hair. And I'm not agaisnt relaxers either.

All in all, I still suggest everyone go see this movie. It is definitely hillarious, but just to give the heads up--its all about black women and weaves.

Oh yeah, another disappointing thing about Nia...she kept saying "Good Hair is all Hair" (as in weave too)....umm no. Someone's hair that you purchased, you cannot front off as "Good Hair". (of course its "Good Hair" when you are spending $500+) Sorry Nia. Who are you trying to make feel better-It sounds like she is trying to make herself feel better about wearing a weave. Its just a weave. Who cares?? I hope that is really not the point of the doc. Unfortunately, Chris Rock was for the Entertaining funny comments, and Nia was for the "intelligent" comments. I dont think they were though.

To me, Healthy hair is GOOD HAIR.

Doc comes out this October

Were any other ladies that were at the show want to chime in?

Re: Nia Long at the "Good Hair" Forum with Chris Rock in Atlanta Bronner Brother Show

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting.

Guess I'll be skipping it then. :perplexed

No offense to weave wearers out there... just thought it'd be about something more.

ETA: I watch your youtube vids :up: Didn't know you are a member here :)

Re: Nia Long at the "Good Hair" Forum with Chris Rock in Atlanta Bronner Brother Show

Me too. I thought it would've been something a little deeper and actually about OUR hair and not weave.

Me too. I thought it would've been something a little deeper and actually about OUR hair and not weave.

Thank you for the insight OP, I think I will skip it as well. When I heard about the title of the movie, I thought, great, this movie will examine the fallacy of "good hair" and would work towards helping African American embrace all textures of hair as good.

This is about weaves being ok to wear? :ohwell: No comment.

Would it be bad to say that this is about what I expected both about the documentary and the "panel"? Unfortunate, but not surprising. Too often we make OURSELVES seem so one-dimensional.

well it was only a 10 min clip. you can see everything from that

i really wish you asked tho. but i can see why you didnt

Thanks for the information. I don't think I will be promoting this. I can't believe they are going to pass up this golden opportunity to help encourage AA teenage girls to embrace their natural hair.
What a shame...:nono:

wow I really thought they would have atleast touched on natural. I am a relaxed head and ultimate weave wearer but I don't see the point of making a film based on nothing but weaves. I guess when they think of natural they automatically think afros and dreads

in an interview they said that they didnt want to set out to make things good or bad. kindof sucks because i wish they had done/will do a least a tiny segment to natural hair. it just seems weird to leave that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHC92yAFhRI

Dang, I'm so disappointed. I kinda figured from the trailer that it would mainly focus on weaves and relaxers but I thought for sure there'd be a part on natural hair in there somewhere. But that's mainstream Hollywood for you. You rarely see women rocking their natural hair in movies at all even in 2009. I think that as natural hair becomes more and more popular/mainstream we will see indie movies coming out that will do a way better job at examining the hair/culture link. Maybe these indie movies even exist now? Chris Rock is going for laughs and that's what he's good at- I just find it strange that the movie would ignore natural hair completely.

Wow if that's the case that's really disappointing! I thought he made the doc in an effort to look at all sides of the issues, and based on his daughter's comments? Aren't his kids natural? I might still check it though, but I was hoping for more.

I appreciate you telling us what was up when you went, but I think I will still go ahead and take a look myself. There's only so much that can be shown in 10 minutes, and in the end it's still a movie, and they still intend to make profit off of it. It's probably that they feel it would be better off to promote the weave/relaxer segments than it would to promote the other parts. And a 10 minute segment is just that...promotion.

That being said, I may have to wait for it to come on DVD as opposed to spending the 16 bucks to see it in a theatre...IF it comes here anyways.

I'll wait for the DVD.

Okay but it was a ten minute segment. Maybe the right questions weren't asked so they didn't get onto those topics but they're still broached in the film? Until it's seen (the documentary) we won't know.

I'm natural and I would have liked them to touch on this subject :ohwell:. Well, I'll still see the movie but for them not to touch on natural hair is a disappointment. Thanks for the review :yep:.

I applaud his efforts. I wish he would've explored all different kinds of black hair and portray it in a beautiful light. But, I don't think he was doing a documentary on black hair. I think he was doing it on Black women's obsession and pursuit of "good hair". Which he did a god job with that.

Last edited:

I'll wait for it on google results:look:

I am going to be optimistic and hope that it was just a 10 min segment of the doumentary and that there is still a lot of movie to be seen.

I thought the original premise that prompted Chirs Rock to do it was that one of his daughters asked him why she didn't have "good hair." I can't see how he could make an entire documentary without attempting to dispel the notion that there isn't really such a thing as good hair and that the more European your hair is (straight, silky, long etc.) does not really make it better or good. Otherwise, what would be the benefit to his (or anyone else's) daughter?

Hopefully he kept the real meat of the documentary for the paying public and just showed some light-hearted teasers for promotional consideration.

I will still see it when it comes out.

OT: Lexiwiththecurls-I LOVE your youtube vids and blog...It's cool for me to see you posting in the forum-

Last edited:

I do agree with you all. It was only a 10 minute teaser and it does make sense that they were trying to appeal to the masses which would be perm/weave wearers. That was just what was portrayed in their panel. People didn't ask questions about weaves...but somehow all the answers had to do with it. The doc is to show the amount of money people put into their hair and the hair industry and what lengths people go for "Good hair"- or at least thats what I read in an article about the film during Sundance. It just wasn't what I expected. Out of the 10 minute teaser, 95% was about weaves and the other 5% was about relaxers. Usually teasers should show what the majority of the film is going to be about.
But the one thing I learned...this is more for entertainment purposes. It is definitely funny and I do feel people should watch the entire documentary. I just THOUGHT it was going to be a little deeper...but I shouldn't have expected that coming from an actor who didn't know ANYTHING about AA hair until he decided to do the doc. I am a Producer and actually wanted to do a doc on AA Hair, but it was going to be DEEP and when I saw that he did one, I said "Ohh, forget it" but now it still makes me want to do one anyway.

Also thanks FindingMe and Neith for checking out my vids

I can't believe that they're not going to touch on natural hair. I am relaxed, but I would have loved to see a segment on natural hair, which might have allowed black women to repair the stereotypes we hold over our natural texture. I might still see the film, depending on several factors, but I will admit that I am disappointed as well.

Wow thanks for the run through. Because I thought they would have touched on everything. I mean it's okay to make light and have some fun with it but at least touch on the real topic. And he supposedly did this becuase his daughter asked why she doesn't have "good" hair. So he's affirming that and telling her it's okay to get a weave or put in chemicals to achieve "good" hair. That is a major let down. I like Chris Rock, but I thought he was going to bring it since Tyra didn't in her Good hair episode.

I wasn't gonna watch it anyway...i'm resigned to be a nappy ambassador simply by being me :)

I can't believe that this is the final outcome of Chris's exploration for his daugther.I thought a question from his daugther prompted the Doc. I never planned on seeing it, the commericial made it seem like a big joke.

I do agree with you all. It was only a 10 minute teaser and it does make sense that they were trying to appeal to the masses which would be perm/weave wearers. That was just what was portrayed in their panel. People didn't ask questions about weaves...but somehow all the answers had to do with it. The doc is to show the amount of money people put into their hair and the hair industry and what lengths people go for "Good hair"- or at least thats what I read in an article about the film during Sundance. It just wasn't what I expected. Out of the 10 minute teaser, 95% was about weaves and the other 5% was about relaxers. Usually teasers should show what the majority of the film is going to be about.
But the one thing I learned...this is more for entertainment purposes. It is definitely funny and I do feel people should watch the entire documentary. I just THOUGHT it was going to be a little deeper...but I shouldn't have expected that coming from an actor who didn't know ANYTHING about AA hair until he decided to do the doc. I am a Producer and actually wanted to do a doc on AA Hair, but it was going to be DEEP and when I saw that he did one, I said "Ohh, forget it" but now it still makes me want to do one anyway.

Also thanks FindingMe and Neith for checking out my vids

Do it!!! I'd support you...:grin: I'd love to see a documentary truly discussing the societal norms & culture of Black people and their hair...whooooooo, that would be truly deep:yep: I think most people have no idea that it really runs that deep (including most black people)...

I can also see how the Chris Rock documentary focuses on the more commercial aspects of the Black Hair debate (ie. the business of black hair) bc he is working in a highly commercialized industry:ohwell:

One of my fave books this summer was "Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America" by Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tharps. I would love to see something like this come to the big screen...

I'll wait for the DVD
Something about this movie just rubs me the wrong way. I think it was the part in the clip where he says to the Indian woman "If you see a black woman run the other way"

This is so disappointing... so, what it's saying is.. "Don't be uspet you dont have "good" hair.. go buy you some!" I'm about to make my OWN FILM!! Any naturals or anyone considering going natural by way of BIG Chop and isn't camera shy let me know!

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting.

Guess I'll be skipping it then. :perplexed

No offense to weave wearers out there... just thought it'd be about something more.

ETA: I watch your youtube vids :up: Didn't know you are a member here :)

Omg Lexi! I just watched your braidout, steam and two strand twists vids for the first time this weekend and voila! here you are! good to see you :yep:

thanks for the info on the movie. folks have been all abuzz about it this week because of Tyra's day without weave announcement for September 8th.

I'll have to see the whole thing before I judge it.
I'm glad at least some of the black hair issues are being addressed in it.

Okay but it was a ten minute segment. Maybe the right questions weren't asked so they didn't get onto those topics but they're still broached in the film? Until it's seen (the documentary) we won't know.

Exactly. I'm surprised we are automatically assuming that the entire movie doesn't delve into real hair issues and cover the natural versus relaxed debate just based on one 10 minute short. That's not enough of a clip to know what the film covers in totality. Not only that, but Nia is clearly going to be an advocate for what she prefers...weaves....if she were natural, perhaps she'd have brought that up. I'm interested to see the full film. I will tell you right now I will be appalled and fussing for my 90 minutes back if it's all about weave ALONE.

Back